No announcement yet.

Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that gnome killed itself at 3.0. All those commits are just a desperate attempt to revive it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...
      Or quote bumper stickers since they can't use the brain of their own, but you know we weren't all born equal.

Comment

Current Gnome and KDE both suck. I don't like either one these days. Thankfully I use RHEL6 on my desktop, which still uses Gnome 2. Gnome 2 is/was the perfect desktop IMO. Polished and mature, very usable, very customizable, I love it. I hate what they've done with Gnome 3 and I won't use it until I'm forced to. Hopefully by then they'll have made it usable. If not, I'll probably end up back on WindowMaker or Enlightenment. At least those two aren't moving backwords and screwing up my productivity.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 27 September 2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Unity on 12.04 Ubuntu is something I really like. Ohh well. It's pretty easy to use. I like being able to search for applications and filter what I want. KDE put me off by being too much like a toy, I'm sure its better now. I don't get the hate.

Comment

wtf Honton, what are you talking about? Why do you care what Matthias is doing and what gives you the right to judge over him? The same question to those who think they can judge Miguel. Both have not been active in their respective community for years as a matter of fact.

Spreading FUD about Qt and KDE is one thing, but personal attacks on people like Matthias is completely unaccaptable.

Comment

@Honton
              Just registered to tell you that you are truly an asshole. I feel sorry for you.

@mgraesslin
              There is no point in discussion with this guy, some people never change and will live like assholes forever. Just ignore him and let him die with his stupid thoughts in phoronix forums.

Comment

this get's more and more ridiculous. OK one can question KDE's decision to use the non-free Qt. But coming with this in 2013 is just ridiculous. Do you think Qt would be free today or even in existance if KDE had not used it?

Concerning Matthias: I have no idea what Matthias position was inside Nokia and I think you don't know it neither. It's neither mine nor your business. Also it's not your business what Matthias is going to do, now. That's his personal decision and needs to be respected. Personally I would find it highly amusing if the founder at KDE would end up at Microsoft.

I suggest you start educating on the KDE people going after Miguel for using a mac!
                Hmm let me check my blog posts:

Especially I want to do a verbatim quote from the second blog post:
                "And if a GNOME developer stops work because of KDE fanboys it?s not GNOME who lost a developer, it?s free software who lost a developer. It?s one of us. We are also GNOME!"

I think that should make it clear what I think of KDE people who went after Miguel for using a mac.

This is your chance to show your double standards only apply to signing Qt CLAs and not Canonical CLAs.
                You know that not each CLA is the same, don't you? It's so easy to say that one has double standards. Luckily I also blogged about why I would not sign the Canonical CLA: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...ony-agreement/ - I also recomend to read Aaron Seigo's blog post on the topic (which reflects the CLA before Canonical switched to Harmony Agreements) http://aseigo.blogspot.de/2010/09/co...ld-or-why.html

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
                  this get's more and more ridiculous. OK one can question KDE's decision to use the non-free Qt. But coming with this in 2013 is just ridiculous. Do you think Qt would be free today or even in existance if KDE had not used it?

Concerning Matthias: I have no idea what Matthias position was inside Nokia and I think you don't know it neither. It's neither mine nor your business. Also it's not your business what Matthias is going to do, now. That's his personal decision and needs to be respected. Personally I would find it highly amusing if the founder at KDE would end up at Microsoft.

Hmm let me check my blog posts:

Especially I want to do a verbatim quote from the second blog post:
                  "And if a GNOME developer stops work because of KDE fanboys it?s not GNOME who lost a developer, it?s free software who lost a developer. It?s one of us. We are also GNOME!"

I think that should make it clear what I think of KDE people who went after Miguel for using a mac.

You know that not each CLA is the same, don't you? It's so easy to say that one has double standards. Luckily I also blogged about why I would not sign the Canonical CLA: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...ony-agreement/ - I also recomend to read Aaron Seigo's blog post on the topic (which reflects the CLA before Canonical switched to Harmony Agreements) http://aseigo.blogspot.de/2010/09/co...ld-or-why.html
                  Martin I respect you too much to just let you keep going on this, Honton is just a troll unless you really are just wanting to have fun stomping him there's no point actually responding to him as opposed to just setting him to ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
                    wtf Honton, what are you talking about? Why do you care what Matthias is doing and what gives you the right to judge over him? The same question to those who think they can judge Miguel. Both have not been active in their respective community for years as a matter of fact.

Spreading FUD about Qt and KDE is one thing, but personal attacks on people like Matthias is completely unaccaptable.
                    Spreading FUD against QT and KDE is just as ridiculous as all this FUD against canonical and Mark Shuttleworth . The KDE people are not saints neither in this regard.

A quick look in your post reveals a lot of naiveness

Personally I doubt that a corporation has the individual developer?s best interest in their mind.
                    I encourage you to look a little bit deeper into Wayland , its license and who is behind. Intel, Samsung, and others are corporations that hire developers to work with open source projects . If you look at the linux kernel is much worse. Kudos to Linus Torvalds for fighting against the self interest of all those corporations and taking care of the kernel.

Besides, Canonical have an impecable record in terms of open source . There is no record of Canonical close sourcing any software, not a single line of code. You can not say the same thing about Intel, Nvidia, Samsung, etc.

Finally, you and your people must remember that Canonicals projects are not part of the QT nor KDE projects and vice-versa . Every project in entitled to set their own strategies, goals, visions, licences and partnerships . For canonical, their CLA makes sense from their initiates point of view, there is nothing wrong with that. You personally do not like it, for whatever reason (nitpicking it seems), and that's OK.

But you are not going to become an "slave" of canonical , as you almost suggested, nor are they going to "steal" your code. The word "steal" does't not exist in a real open source project. Only the word "fork" .

Community or individual interest? Your individual interest are tied to the community in a reciprocal way. Just choose the community that benefits you and the community will decide if it can benefits from you.

So y'all stop with the nonsensical pessimism and negativity against Canonical or any open source project . Stop spreading tin foil hats and hate speech. This is ridiculous

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                      Spreading FUD against QT and KDE is just as ridiculous as all this FUD against canonical and Mark Shuttleworth . The KDE people are not saints neither in this regard.

A quick look in your post reveals a lot of naiveness

I encourage you to look a little bit deeper into Wayland , its license and who is behind. Intel, Samsung, and others are corporations that hire developers to work with open source projects . If you look at the linux kernel is much worse. Kudos to Linus Torvalds for fighting against the self interest of all those corporations and taking care of the kernel.

Besides, Canonical have an impecable record in terms of open source . There is no record of Canonical close sourcing any software, not a single line of code. You can not say the same thing about Intel, Nvidia, Samsung, etc.

Finally, you and your people must remember that Canonicals projects are not part of the QT nor KDE projects and vice-versa . Every project in entitled to set their own strategies, goals, visions, licences and partnerships . For canonical, their CLA makes sense from their initiates point of view, there is nothing wrong with that. You personally do not like it, for whatever reason (nitpicking it seems), and that's OK.

But you are not going to become an "slave" of canonical , as you almost suggested, nor are they going to "steal" your code. The word "steal" does't not exist in a real open source project. Only the word "fork" .

Community or individual interest? Your individual interest are tied to the community in a reciprocal way. Just choose the community that benefits you and the community will decide if it can benefits from you.

So y'all stop with the nonsensical pessimism and negativity against Canonical or any open source project . Stop spreading tin foil hats and hate speech. This is ridiculous
                      Seeing how Canonical has a boat load of close sourced Projects theres not one
                      yes "There is no record of Canonical close sourcing any software, not a single line of code."
                      Discussion of *BSD operating systems and software, including but not limited to FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD. Mac OS X, GNU Hurd, and other alternative operating systems can also be discussed.

Comment

Working...
                      X