Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    You mean KrapDE isn't dead yet? Gnome will probably be better before long by default.
    This is exactly what's wrong with these forums, what point is there to posting idiocy like this? I am a gnome user, and there are things I don't like about KDE, but I certainly don't think its crap. Comments like this are just stupid, and serve no purpose, other than inciting immature flamewars.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post
      I also hate the new menu. Why don't you use the classic one? It is what I do and I am completely satisfied with it.

Right click on your desktop or on "Application Menu Launcher" and select "Unlock Widgets". Right click again on it and select "Switch to Classic Menu Style". Done! May you want, right click on it again and customize what you would like to see on it. Enjoy!
      Hmm I didn't know that the classic menu was optional. Thanks!

Comment

if gnome is dead, how can it kill kde? hahahahaa

mutter is slow compared with kwin, for me it crash 3 or 4 times a day

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
          if gnome is dead, how can it kill kde? hahahahaa

Sorry.. I had to

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Sorry.. I had to
            Ahahah gnome users xD

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              You are third person claiming that a large horde of ghost hackers live in the feature branches but never leaves a finger print in the master branches. I took a resonable sample from the feature branches and had a look if those names also got picked up by Ohloh.
              I did so as well and looked for my GSoC student according to ohloh.net his last commit was 6 months ago. Then I looked for a GSOC student working in the Plasma team - last commit one year ago according to Ohloh. I looked for a commit by a new contributor to KWin who provided his first patch on July, 29th - not listed on ohloh. Should I go on? I think my sample set was better, granted I knew which names I should use for the sample set. It doesn't make much sense to pick the fulltime developers who have commits all over the place.

Comment

a few GSOC students? Ha the same thing goes on in GIMP. Have a look.
                Just did. KDE: 50 projects, GIMP: 4. Want to try again? Looking forward to the next argument. Hope it's as easy to debunk (KDE has been the organization with most slots for years).

Besides even if all GSOC students did this it would not be enough to cover the amount of ghost hackers needed to claim that KDE is not dying.
                Hmm, I think I did not do that. I gave you an example for GSOC projects and non-GSOC projects. It was to show you that ohloh doesn't track the current development and thus is just wrong. Concerning your "dying" argument - KDE is strong enough to have most GSOC slots this year. This means 50 hackers and about the same number of mentors (it's not a 1:1 mapping, some mentors have two projects, some students two mentors). As long as that's the case I don't worry about that you think KDE is dying.

Names please, not a few stalled GSOC projects!!!
                I think I gave you names. I didn't want to write the names and the links, because there is no reason to expose them in the public like that. But I gave you enough information to figure out the names. Of course these are not stalled projects given that GSOC is still going on.

KDE hides the Qt agreement on JPGs
                oh that gets even funnier. Ever seen a contract which is not JPG or scanned PDF? That's quite common at least here in Germany and that kind of matters given that KDE e.V. is based in Germany.

Comment

Omg, this thread makes me want to sell all my linux based equipment.
                  You should be proud, MS never managed that.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                    Omg, this thread makes me want to sell all my linux based equipment.
                    You should be proud, MS never managed that.
                    Oh no! Honton kills Linux! This is proof!

Comment

So you take KDE's inability to merge GSOC project as a sign of succes? Very funny. I just gave you an example of GIMP's branches which shows Gnome also have some feature branches waiting to be merged. But nobody at Gnome would use that as an excuse to explain the loss of more than 100 contributor. It is only you and a few other who are this desperate
                      Oh I never said that. You are strongly interpreting my writing. I was only writing about the ongoing GSOC projects. Obviously those are not merged and that was not the point I wanted to make. I wanted to show that the stats at ohloh are missing data. That's all.

So to sum it up. No names just a few cherrypicked references to a few branches. No explanation where the hundreds of ghost KDE hackers are hiding.
                      my point was in showing that the stats are not reliable. If you draw conclusions from known incomplete data, fine with me. Just accept that others don't draw data from incomplete data. To me the question btw. would not be: "why is the number of contributors declining", to me it would be "why was the number of contributors so high after the 4.0 release?". Your graph is cherrypicked from 2010, from 2007 onwards it would be way more interesting.

Haha, so you are saying this stops KDE from providing a clear text version and a FAQ?
                      No, you are once more interpreting things into my writing (I would appreciate if you don't do that). Apparently nobody thought it necessary, maybe you want to do it, if you find it necessary?

You said yourself you had an lawyer explain things for you.
                      What? I have never written that! Please go back and check what I wrote.
                      KDE has FAILED to communicate about this. Most people are confused and believe Qt is fully covered, which is not true.
                      If you say so, but Honton is not "most people". I had never seen somebody being confused about it.
                      This is sooo dishonest and KDE does nothing to make it better. And YOU are totally absent when people make misjudgements which makes KDE look more powerful. That is very wrong. And the links you provided earlier shows how dishonest everyone at KDE is about this. My posting got discussed because I tell what the agreement says. But no one at KDE reacts when confused people says Qt is fully covered.
                      I'm sorry that you are confused. I think the problem here is that you did not be around when Qt Free Edition still existed. For most people knowing the history it's quite clear. There is no evil behind not updating the text when Qt became GPL for Windows and Mac. Probably nobody thought about that. There are other sloppy elements like a link to qt.nokia.com which is wrong nowadays. Your update to the text would certainly be appreciated.

But let's also face that right now the difference hardly matters. Except for the platform plugins the code is the same. So all that might be lost are the plugins for the proprietary platforms. Would be sad, but we all hope that the foundation will never have to execute the rights, don't we? I personally would not care if those plugins got lost as my software is X11/Wayland only and that's the only part to which I have ever contributed in Qt (c.f. to my saying that I don't have a problem with the CLA as my contributions are protected).

Comment

Working...
                      X