No announcement yet.

Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for the record: neither ohloh.net nor commit-digest provide reliable information. The information by commit-digest is probably more reliable given that it is integrated in KDE's infrastructure, nevertheless it shows weaknesses. For example in the latest issue there is the following commit attributed to me: http://www.commit-digest.org/issues/...ecbeb27265785/ (yes it got pushed by me) but if one goes to http://commits.kde.org/kde-workspace...fecbeb27265785 one sees that it's not from me. Also I had seen often cases where commits done by me ended up in the wrong week (push vs. commit). E.g. commits are listed for a week where they are not yet in a public repository. This can only happen in cases when commit-digest is a few weeks behind, but I have a few branches with ~100 commits from half a year ago which will be pushed soon. If it goes for the commit date those will never get reported.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Source: Ohloh.net

Oh yes the mumbers have changed since then. Add one developer, so KDE hits 166 instead of 165. An increase of 0.6%
      Now i can't see what those numbers would prove (probably nothing relevant at all) but i did compare KDE vs GNOME as it's so dear to you.
      I couldn't find December for gnome on Ohloh.net so this is November 2013.

KDE commits 4438, contributors 186
      GNOME commits 3411, contributors 175

KDE isn't dying and neither are GNOME.

Comment

Oh yes the mumbers have changed since then. Add one developer, so KDE hits 166 instead of 165. An increase of 0.6%

And Martin please stop lying. KDElibs had commits and development for December. And I hope you and friends were good boys and signed away alot of non-copyleft licensed code to Digia with the kde->Qt code shuffling. Because Qt development is slowing down as well.
        To my understanding, no one said KDElibs won?t get commits anymore. It was said that they do not get anymore features. That should allow bug- and security-fixes and thus commits.
        Did I get this correct?

cheers, tomme

Comment

Huh? Did you read my post and are you answering to me?
          The number rised from 139 to 157, see above graph or kde-digest.

this however says nothing - only statistics and the long time trend can give us information - and the trend is quite stable as seen in the graph... but you will neglect that and will again post the oloh-numbers which are less reliable, as YOU confirmed for GNOME and as MGr?sslin confirmed for KDE
          Last edited by tomtomme; 02 January 2014, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Too bad you didn't realize the Gnome numbers are not a full monthly count. Ohloh stopped counting for Gnome on the 25th. Ohloh have a lot of discontinued countings because the projects go large and covers 100s of git trees.
            Why is it bad?
            It only proves that the source isn't reliable, but even if it was reliable it still wouldn't prove anything unless there's no more commits at all.
            Why do you hate qt and kde so much? Did your gf dump you for a qt/kde developer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              Did your gf dump you for a qt/kde developer?
              You maybe onto something there, that would certainly explain a lot.

Comment

And Martin please stop lying. KDElibs had commits and development for December.
                Ok, ok there were some commits - as I said we were preparing the split, but that's not "developing". For you I even just did the math. For November it is 607 commits, for December its 170. How did I get these numbers:

git rev-list --count HEAD@{1\ month\ ago}.. and git rev-list --count HEAD@{2\ month\ ago}..HEAD@{1\ month\ ago}

both in an up to date checkout of frameworks branch. It's not 100 % correct as we have already the second of January. But it should be good enough to show that there is way less activity for exactly the reason I presented.

Comment

December Commits down to 2979. Lowest since 2003.

December Contributors down to 165. Lowest since 2006.
                  It's cute to see that you think Gnome still has a fighting chance against Xfce or MATE, their uptake rate has been much higher than Gnome Shell.
                  Hell, Debian even made Xfce the default UI for their next release.

Comment

• It's been almost two decades of killing KDE, and now KDE is about to release the most advanced desktop ever.

I think GNOME is doing a great job, and should look for more challenging goals. I'd like to see the following projects:

GNOME kills the Greek economy
                    GNOME kills sustainable agriculture
                    GNOME kills renewable energy
                    GNOME kills anti-HIV vaccine....

KDE is thankful for all the help, but there are other deserving projects which need help, and there is no better way for a project to prosper than to have GNOME try to kill it. We could solve all the world's problems in a blink of an eye, if only GNOME concentrated on killing other worthwhile projects..... Think of the possibilities!

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      It's been almost two decades of killing KDE, and now KDE is about to release the most advanced desktop ever.

I think GNOME is doing a great job, and should look for more challenging goals. I'd like to see the following projects:

GNOME kills the Greek economy
                      GNOME kills sustainable agriculture
                      GNOME kills renewable energy
                      GNOME kills anti-HIV vaccine....

KDE is thankful for all the help, but there are other deserving projects which need help, and there is no better way for a project to prosper than to have GNOME try to kill it. We could solve all the world's problems in a blink of an eye, if only GNOME concentrated on killing other worthwhile projects..... Think of the possibilities!
                      You just made my day =D

Comment

Working...
                      X