Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    Seeing how Canonical has a boat load of close sourced Projects theres not one
    yes "There is no record of Canonical close sourcing any software, not a single line of code."
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...for-commercial
    You are deliberately misrepresenting Canonical's position. Their position is that, under dual-licensing, they won't force a manufacturer to open source the software that belongs to the manufacturer, but all of the Canonical software will be open source. This has been explained many times. Even Stallman is okay with it. So if you are against dual-licensing - then you have a more extreme attitude than RMS. Think about that for a moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
      You are deliberately misrepresenting Canonical's position. Their position is that, under dual-licensing, they won't force a manufacturer to open source the software that belongs to the manufacturer, but all of the Canonical software will be open source. This has been explained many times. Even Stallman is okay with it. So if you are against dual-licensing - then you have a more extreme attitude than RMS. Think about that for a moment.
      you don't know how to read my reply was to Alex Sarmiento and Under dual licensing it Lets you fully close source you projects Stallman will not Promote OpenSource as it's not Free Software but Open Development keep trying troll

ohh look what Stallman says about Ubuntu to day "Isn't Ubuntu already always committed to free software? No"

Canonical IS THE ONE Misrepresenting there Position as a OpenSource Free Software Vendor when really They have a TON OF Closed Source Software and a MIT licensing will Fix all of that

Who Cares about Canonical any ways Valve Killed Ubuntu "First Blood!!" Sony and Microsoft is Next!!!

Comment

ohh look what Stallman says about Ubuntu to day "Isn't Ubuntu already always committed to free software? No"
        http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/w...-free-software
        That has nothing to do with whether or not he supports dual-licensing of GPL software.

"Isn't Ubuntu already always committed to free software? No. Ubuntu's default GNU/Linux distribution includes nonfree drivers, and its software marketplace promotes proprietary programs."

So Ubuntu isn't committed to free software because it includes proprietary drivers and software in the repositories. He says the same thing about OpenBSD, and he won't recommend that either. Fair enough, at least he is consistent. But this has nothing to do with whether or not he supports dual-licensing of GPL software - which he does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
          Matthias started KDE based on non-free Qt. True or false?
          If Matthias would have committed a crime which would be punished with more than five years and up to ten years imprisonment at the time he started KDE, he would not have to face persecution today, because it's too long ago (reference: http://dejure.org/gesetze/StGB/78.html). I just want to point that out to illustrate how ridiculous it is to come up with such an argument today.
          Originally posted by Honton View Post
          Matthias worked at Nokia in a directing position when Qt and Linux was tossed away. True or false?
          I don't have any information about whether Matthias had any saying in the strategy shift of Nokia and whether he was informed at all. I at least heard stories that people in way higher position than Matthias didn't know about the shift till it happened.
          Originally posted by Honton View Post
          Matthias is still working at Nokia, and it is not clear to the public if he will continue at Nokia or MS. True or false?
          I don't see how you can hold against him, that he hasn't shared his personal plans in public yet. And as I have already written: it's not your business.

Comment

• All I see here is a troll fighting for ideological purity. We don't know about the future plans of Honton, and it's clear to us that if he works in ANY company not advocating Free Software, then he is inconsistent, and should be barred of discussing further any matter referring to FOSS (at least, following a strict black-or-white logic like the one Honton displayed). This is so interesting, in fact, that may serve me as a basis for a thesis.

Meanwhile, I'm testing a new piece of software, Milou. You can get it here, in a command line.

Code:
            git clone git://anongit.kde.org/milou.git
            Milou is a Spotlight clone. I'm impressed about how little effort you need in KDE to write a functional Spotlight clone, doing a lot of what we know and love about Spotlight, while being written in DAYS. This is the true power of KDE; the only thing missing are frontends.

BTW, since Milou is in a quickgit.kde.org tree, and it's not merged, it won't appear in Ohloh's stats.
            Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 29 September 2013, 08:31 AM.

Comment

The same to you good Sir. Lets deal with the facts.
              The Facts are Gnome may have Killed KDE or the other way around But the Real Fact is STEAM OS SLAYED UBUNTU and Microsoft your Next Bitch!

Gabe Newell The Dragon Slayer!!!!!

Comment

Qt CLA vs Canonical CLA. One day you will wake up at realize freedom comes with a cost. You can't cherry pick the companies you like and accept CLA from them while saying no to others. It is either full CLA acceptance or no CLA.
                GNOME was started as a part of the GNU project.

The GNU project uses CLA.

Goodbye and good luck with a non-GNU operating system. You will be sorely missed, but since you can't cherry pick the companies you like and accept CLA from them while saying no to others, it's something you have to do. Bye!

Comment

The Facts are Gnome may have Killed KDE or the other way around But the Real Fact is STEAM OS SLAYED UBUNTU and Microsoft your Next Bitch!

I want your stuff dude

Comment

• Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better/worse, LinuxGamer comes in spewing his Canonical hate. If someone can smoothly segue this thread into a Mono/.NET argument, that would be like sprinkles on top.

Comment

Ubuntu being a well known operating system for video game consoles.. Oh wait.

Comment

Working...
                      X