Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first suggestion was Fedora...but how about an enterprise distro like RHEL? It would be very interesting to compare an enterprise "stable" distro like RHEL to a bleeding edge distro like Fedora. It would answer what kind of performance penalty you pay for running by choosing an "enterprise stable" OS.

Comment

• Originally posted by leif81 View Post
      My first suggestion was Fedora...but how about an enterprise distro like RHEL? It would be very interesting to compare an enterprise "stable" distro like RHEL to a bleeding edge distro like Fedora. It would answer what kind of performance penalty you pay for running by choosing an "enterprise stable" OS.
      Why would it be a penalty?

Also, I believe this involves paying Red Hat, and I've seen claims from Michael that make me think the website maintenance is expensive enough.

Comment

• I'd like to see Arch or Fedora benchmarks.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
          They would because they'll want to move on to Wayland, and Ubuntu doesn't support Wayland.
          Wayland will be supported in the sense that most Ubuntu packages are supported - it is in the repository, will have maintainers, will get updates and bug fixes etc. It is unsupported in the sense that Canonical aren't going to pay maintainers to work on it - but the vast majority of Linux distributions aren't paying their Wayland maintainers either.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            So you meant as an extra benchmark? Thought you mean actually switching.
            In that case, it might be used as a comparison between minimal system and distros.
            Yes, if someone think it's useful

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              Why would it be a penalty?

Also, I believe this involves paying Red Hat, and I've seen claims from Michael that make me think the website maintenance is expensive enough.
              CentOS is the free version of RHEL. But it's not that good of a benchmark, anyway, since it uses really old packages.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                You're missing your original point. You claimed that there are a lot of distributions that base off Ubuntu, and thus Ubuntu is needed by the rest of the GNU/Linux platform. And the answer to that was that those distributions could have been based off Debian just as well. You're talking about something else here.
                I never claimed that Ubuntu was "needed by the rest of the "GNU/Linux platform" - obviously the kernel and GNU tools would continue to exist without Ubuntu, as would every distribution that is not based on Ubuntu. What I was pointing out is that there are many derivatives of Ubuntu, in response to the comment that disagreed with "Be careful what u wish for, if ubuntu would to fall it wont fall alone...". Yeah, if Ubuntu falls then there would be a bunch of Ubuntu based distributions that would fall too. Their users would suddenly find that they can't upgrade, and aren't getting any more bug or security fixes. The world would survive and people would move on, either switching to other distributions or Windows, but in the end the failure of one of the most popular and high profile Linux distributions would be incredibly bad PR for the Linux community. We need more successful Linux-based companies, not less. And if millions of Linux users are suddenly left without upgrades, security and bug fixes, then you can bet that it will be remembered for a long time, and Apple/Microsoft will be gloating that "You can't rely on Linux, your distribution can just disappear without any warning, leaving you to clean up the mess".

Comment

• Fedora win.

Opensuse has some freeware programs included, and its a little heavy. I will vote for Fedora. And i think is the winner of the thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by verde View Post
                    [I]As for 12/2011

Facebook Shares
                    Another interesting statistic we can find online is the number of times a distro’s home page has been shared on Facebook. While clearly not an exact indication of a distro’s popularity, it can give us some idea of how many people share a link to their favorite distro with their friends. The following statistics come from the Facebook Graph API and show links to the distro’s homepage. Ubuntu has a clear lead in Facebook shares, with Linux Mint and Fedora fighting for second.

Ubuntu - 83,945 shares
                    Linux Mint - 7,762 shares
                    Fedora - 6,313 shares
                    Debian - 3,986 shares
                    Arch - 1,445 shares
                    CentOS - 979 shares
                    openSUSE - 599 shares
                    PCLinuxOS - 573 shares
                    Puppy - 426 shares
                    Mandriva - 419 shares
                    It is a bit different if you consider Facebook Likes instead of Shares. Likes are probably a more accurate indicator... Shares only count people who think their friends are interested in their choice of Linux distribution...

834,695 Ubuntu
                    186,124 Debian
                    54,160 Red Hat
                    45,261 openSUSE
                    36,981 Linux Mint
                    35,962 Fedora
                    12,618 Arch Linux
                    10,348 Gentoo
                    8,023 CentOS
                    7,872 Kubuntu
                    5,630 Slackware

And for context...

1,437,081 Android
                    Last edited by chrisb; 26 July 2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• If I have to choose one distro, it would be openSUSE.

If I can sugest more:
                      The ones Valve recognizes.

1 Native Steam on Linux

1.1 Unpackaged
                      1.2 Arch Linux
                      1.3 Debian
                      1.4 Fedora
                      1.5 Gentoo
                      1.6 openSUSE / SUSE
                      1.7 Ubuntu

The teamfortress 2 benchmark should work on all of those.

Comment

Working...
                      X