Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    Yes, he likes Android, but he's running Fedora on that Chromebook.
    My point is that it seems the Founder of Linux is not excluding Android from....Linux and he is not placing fences to the Linux use.

Some here have Ubuntu and Android the counter-example of a Linux distribution the same time that they are the most successful Linux based operating systems today.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      openSUSE. It has the Open Build Service, and as mentioned SUSE Studio allows for easy replication of an image (although it doesn't have a "copy the official LiveCD packages" option that I'm aware of, only the base KDE/GNOME packages are selected by default, which makes setting up a LiveCD a bit longer task than it would strictly be necessary). Also, like you mentioned in the article:

openSUSE has that, it's either Kernel:Stable if you want the upstream stable versions, or Kernel:HEAD for the latest kernel git code. You can use them via SUSEStudio, too, to make a snapshot of a certain kernel version for others to reproduce.

The second option for me would be Fedora, due to its corporate backing and bleeding edge status, although I see how the debug builds could be problematic.

No. Arch and Gentoo don't have defaults, and Phoronix is benchmarking defaults. Also, the way PTS works is not exactly compatible with Gentoo, because unlike Portage-managed packages, the tests are by default not compiled with -march=native and thus would show poorer results than if you installed the test packages through Portage.

Debian and CentOS are way too stable to be interesting. Same goes for Ubuntu LTS. They are good as a reference platform, but benchmarking them doesn't show any interesting data by itself. Mageia is also a bit on the stable side, plus the latest benchmarks show that there was some performance issue that they had which would also influence the test results in a bad way.

Speaking of which, now that we have latency tests, some benchmarks of the realtime and low-jitter kernels should be made. It would be pretty interesting to see.
      openSUSE! Why? See above!

Comment

• Originally posted by verde View Post
        My point is that it seems the Founder of Linux is not excluding Android from....Linux and he is not placing fences to the Linux use.

Some here have Ubuntu and Android the counter-example of a Linux distribution the same time that they are the most successful Linux based operating systems today.
        Yet you have no point. We are discussing here what will be next Larabels primary/secondary benchmarking distro because he stated that Ubuntu is becoming problematic due to Mir and its issues not Linuses opinions

If you want to engage in troll battle go ask Stallman about Android after all he is something like godfather to Linux kernel

Comment

• Originally posted by felipe View Post
          The principle rule of the free software. The rule more important,the rule who gave a birth this kind of operative systems. Of Course i'm talking about the ethics. Canonical doesn't have ethics. They Include adware in Ubuntu. And they stole the work from another projects and sold as they own
          1) sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping (that hard!)
          2) Do you really believe that Amazon lens is the problem when you are searching stuff from Google, have accounts on Facebook/Twitter/Google+/Youtube and everything you do is recorded by your internet provider?
          3) The "unethical" Google or Facebook both use Linux servers probably commercially-supported (i am not sure) by the "Saint" Red Hat (which if i am not mistaken is charging their Desktop OS and uses Fedora as a testing platform). So Linux works in "unethical" ways sometimes
          4) what is ethical or not depend not only by personal taste but there are huge differences between nations. So don't pretend the worldwide judge!

There is no rule about ethic on the Linux licence in the end. Those are creations of your fiction and none have to agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
            Yet you have no point. We are discussing here what will be next Larabels primary/secondary benchmarking distro because he stated that Ubuntu is becoming problematic due to Mir and its issues not Linuses opinions

If you want to engage in troll battle go ask Stallman about Android after all he is something like godfather to Linux kernel
            I dont eat my dead sole skin. Sorry.

On topic, (Michael didn't stated that) Ubuntu is getting problematic performance NOT due to Mir but XMir and we both know that will happen when XWayland work too. In the mean time Michael is getting a pressure war by trolls, haters or a minority nerd users to change Ubuntu because of Mir when XMir is not enabled by default yet on Ubuntu 13.10 images so probably Ubuntu 13.10 is still much faster than Fedora or Suse on benchmarks. Unity 7 is much faster than KDE or Gnome as we seen in Phoronix so all that claims about Ubuntu are hiding people on denial.
            Last edited by verde; 26 July 2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Another vote for OpenSuSE!!!

Comment

The principle rule of the free software. The rule more important,the rule who gave a birth this kind of operative systems. Of Course i'm talking about the ethics. Canonical doesn't have ethics. They Include adware in Ubuntu. And they stole the work from another projects and sold as they own
                I don't think being a "genuine Linux distro" has anything to do with ethics. In any case, that would be a "genuine GNU distro". Linus Torvalds, who wrote the bases for the kernel everyone seems to use as a reference, has no interest in free software as an ethic. It certainly has nothing to do with having a desktop, since distros exists that are considered genuine and don't ship with a default desktop, and can even be left as a console distro.
                I think there is no sense on that term at all.

However, Ubuntu is indeed going further from the most common pieces of the stack. As long as this doesn't introduce serious fragmentation, I don't think it's inherently wrong to do so. I do think some of their moves are plainly wrong, mostly the FUD and pulling XMir to the desktop on their next releases, but well, the latter could be circumvented by just skipping those releases (the sad part is that you would end up with an unsupported version if you use 13.04, until 14.10 is out there).

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                I am not a fan of Ubuntu/Canonical, but this is just ridiculous. How do you people think that using Ubuntu instead of Fedora/openSuse/Arch/Slackware/... will affect the results of those benchmarks? The only thing that comes to my mind (and where Ubuntu had problems in the past) is the compositor/WM that can influence the gaming benchmarks, a thing that can easily be fixed by using a version with a non-compositing WM, for example Lubuntu. But if Michael makes a comparison of kernel versions, graphic drivers or anything else the OS that is used shouldn't matter at all, otherwise the benchmarks setup is flawed in itself.
                Also, since when is systemd the standard that must be used for benchmarks and why do you people expect that it would give you other benchmark results than an Upstart/OpenRC/SystemV distro?

Again, I am not a fan of Ubuntu/Canonical, but this is just pure hatred for no good reason.
                It depends on what's being tested, as always. If startup time is not being analyzed, it doesn't matter which init system you use. If it's not graphic, it will probably not matter which display system is being used. On those cases, I agree, just pick one and go with it, it won't change anything. But note you are contradicting. On one hand, you wonder how it would affect Ubuntu users, but later you state there is no difference. I don't know why some expect Ubuntu to go with systemd (they developed upstart before systemd was around, so expecting them to change is kind of like expecting everyone else to switch to Mir), I considered systemd and upstart mostly because I think it would be a worthy comparison for startup time, and just forgot about the other, that should be included on that case, too.

Comment

Canonical doesn't have ethics. They Include adware in Ubuntu.
                  A valid point, though the adware can be disabled with one simple command. I'm not sure if we can talk about ethics when a company tries to make money and at the same time offers an easy way to get rid of the adware (I guess you are talking about the Amazon search provider).

Originally posted by felipe View Post
                  And they stole the work from another projects and sold as they own
                  You can't steal from OSS projects as long as you honor their license. The developers of these projects made a conscious descision when choosing an open source license.

Also I can't remember every paying for Ubuntu or any of it's derivates. Canonical offers support contracts but they are optional.

The simple fact is: If you are hating Canonical for what they do, you have to hate a lot of other companies as well. There are literally thousands of companies which use OSS software and never give anything in return. If you hate all these companies then you don't understand the intention of open source. OSS developers choose their licenses, so they are free to choose a different one if they want to prevent companies from using their software. It's as simple as that.

Comment

• Doesnt matter what

As long it's KDE or Gnome based and is Binary in nature.

Comment

• Originally posted by verde View Post
                      Steam usage as far as Debian regards is MASSIVELY in favor of Ubuntu. Doubting and disgusing the Ubuntu general "market-share" supremacy by some people here, its clear indicator that they are haters in denial!
                      That's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X