Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu derivatives

I think an Ubuntu derivative such as Kubuntu or Xubuntu would do. You have the immensily popular Ubuntu under the hood, and you are even setup to compare Mir/Xmir vs Wayland/Xorg very easily ...

Comment

Mageia please

I would like to see Mageia more often.
      Thanks

Comment

Debian

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?
        Personally I find Ubuntu sluggish on the same machine. I now use only Debian and KDE myself. Which on my machine works far better than even Windows 7 (used on some of the office machines.)

If this is benchmarked, I would recommend the nVidia binary drivers over Nouveau.

My specs are:

Kernel: Linux version 3.2.0-4-686-pae ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-14) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.2.46-1

Distro: Distributor ID: Debian
        Description: Debian GNU/Linux 7.1 (wheezy)
        Release: 7.1
        Codename: wheezy

KDE: 4.8.4

System:
        CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
        GPU: NVIDIA Corporation G71 [GeForce 7300 GS] (rev a1)
        Network: 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Comment

Simple answer: the ones people use the most. So Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, and Debian. No one cares about distributions that no one is using.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
            Simple answer: the ones people use the most. So Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, and Debian. No one cares about distributions that no one is using.
            Strange reasoning. Many Phoronix users dont give a shit about Ubuntu, and it's one of the most used, if not the most. So are you talking about used in the whole world or used for Phoronix readers who are actually the one reading and commenting on the articles (and with a bigger average knowledge of Linux than the average of the Linux users out there)?

With the Unity, Mir and no-Systemd decisions I think Ubuntu must be ditched from Phoronix.

I'd like to see Arch or Fedora benchmarks.
            Last edited by Viper_Scull; 26 July 2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Ubuntu
              Mint
              (following not a name) ... some slackware based distro
              Fedora

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                Mint, because Mint is the most popular distro these days.
                Uhhhhh.... No. Check Steam for Linux. Check internet traffic sites. They tell a different tune.

Comment

I think the most unused distro possible should be used. Some barely developed project by one guy who will quit the project the moment he gets bored. That's the FOSS spirit right?

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                    I fully agree. There is no point in benchmarking distributions which are not used by many people. So for now, just stick with Ubuntu until the majority of Linux users moves on.

Also, if you decide to use a different distribution, please choose one which is actually usable for daily work. Many people here in the forums use their operating system as a playground and don't mind if it breaks. The majority of the people however, need an operating system which can be used to get some work done. Therefore, please use a distribution for your benchmarks which can also be used in an enterprise environment, not a toy-distribution for OS devs.

Comment

• openSUSE

For my 2 cents I would say openSUSE. There is a tumbleweed repository for latest official kernels and libraries if wished, has a great build service and is desktop indifferent.

Comment

Working...
                      X