Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedora or openSUSE

Both are binary distribution, have big communities and should ideally work well out of the box. Fedora because they seem to be quite invested into Linux and develop a lot of new technology. OpenSUSE because it might be more polished.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
      i dont blame canocial from trying to become theyr wont thing...
      i actualy dont mind what so ever, like i said i dont care about any other distro... and besides if they dont fork the kernel is still linux and other distros can run what they run.
      >like i said i dont care about any other distro

Blegh! So you just chose one master over the other and you didn't even bother to snif a bit of the culture around GNU/Linux. You use what is convenient at the moment and the moment it isn't, you move on like a locust.

You come in here and just assume that the world will accomodate all YOUR preferences, because all the others don't interest you. The best you can come up with why Ubuntu needs to be kept as the benchmarking platform roughly is "We Ubuntu users are many, our name is Legion." No thanks. I want GNU/Linux benchmarked, not some non-standard Linux bastard OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
        Both are binary distribution, have big communities and should ideally work well out of the box. Fedora because they seem to be quite invested into Linux and develop a lot of new technology. OpenSUSE because it might be more polished.
        i say Fedora out of them too but openSUSE is really good too

Comment

How about LFS?

Surely not. I think it should be used Arch Linux because the available packages are always updated and is easy to install custom packages.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
            Why not Puppy Linux........ Most of the Linux community is sad. very sad. you deserve being the 1%. Im sorry to say that but thats the true.
            We are happy to be the 1%. This 1% runs software on our computers that does our bidding and no one elses. Everybody is free to join and use GNU/Linux as it is now, with its current culture and software, or choose to forego it.

Comment

Linux Deepin which has new applications and more customizations like any linux distribution.
              Look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGo4tPzGjU

Comment

Since this is about determining the most relevant distro to phoronix readers, then surely the obvious solution would be to just do a poll for the readers favourite? Then just pick the top 5.

Comment

Definitely Ubuntu

I am an Ubuntu/Mint user (my reasons could be subjective).

I have installed their daily builds, and I can easily use them as my daily operating system too (this was not the case in past). I know ubuntu's main release can be buggy, and some weird bug never get patched, but since their user base is large, it makes perfect sense to test using Ubuntu.

If it becomes hard to use the daily builds (because of mir), you could also go with xubuntu or kubuntu.

I love other distributions too, but ubuntu's packages seems more relevant for testing. Just my opinion.

Comment

Maybe Top 5 from there minus Ubuntu an that is it .

Otherwise exclude all these main distros and do benchmarks only with:

Manjaro, Mint, PCLinuxOS...
                    Last edited by dungeon; 26 July 2013, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Mint and Fedora.

Mint (w/ Cinnamon or Mate), while based on Ubuntu, still works a hell of a lot better than Ubuntu does (personal experience).

Comment

Working...
                      X