Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Armin View Post
    I think the reasoning on relevance to readers is a bit off. It might well be that Ubuntu is the "most popular" distribution, that applies however largely to the non-tech guys/girls.

Now, many of my friends/family use Ubuntu, but none of them knows anything about Phoronix.com. They simply don't care about all that tech stuff or some new version of Wayland. Contrary, I don't use Ubuntu at all and I do read Phoronix.com regularly, mainly because of the tech stuff and new version announcements of Wayland. Also nobody I know who reads Phoronix.com uses Ubuntu, most popular here is openSUSE, Fedora and Arch Linux.

@Michael: openSUSE has a kernel-of-the-day [1], besides many other repositories that follow closely the upstream development. Besides, the openSUSE build services [2] is just an excellent tool and by far better than anything Ubuntu/Canonical offers.
    Now, I agree openSUSE has not always been the sleekest or most user-friendly distribution (one can see the huge influence of the German engineers trying to solve every problem perfectly ), but it has gotten lately much better with the 12.x releases!
    Long story short: Use openSUSE, it's just the best.

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Kernel_of_the_day
    [2] https://build.opensuse.org/
    The openSUSE rolling release is super Stable too

Comment

Why not Puppy Linux........ Most of the Linux community is sad. very sad. you deserve being the 1%. Im sorry to say that but thats the true.
      Last edited by verde; 26 July 2013, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
        Why not Puppy Linux........ Most of the Linux community is sad. very sad. you deserve being the 1%. Im sorry to say that but thats the true.
        So, you admit you are not a part of the Linux community. What are you doing here, trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          So, you admit you are not a part of the Linux community. What are you doing here, trolling?
          I am end-user. I dont belong to anyone. Are end-users permited here by you or you will kick me?

And if you read carefuly i say the word "most". The "most" is "sad". I am with the rest "not sad" piece of cake. gege?

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
            For the trolls: Be carefull what u wish for, if ubuntu would to fall it wont fall alone...
            Newsflash: it's ubuntu that builds on GNU/Linux, not the other way around.

Comment

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

The Most? Of course that must be Debian pure. It is the most sane community platform and if not the best it is always somewhere in the middle of everything .

Comment

Fedora also has non-debug kernels

Fedora is an absolute must. It's after all the Community where many of the new features are actually created. So you can get an early look when testing a new Fedora Alpha, Beta or RC release. And with Fedora Rawhide you can get an even earlier look.

About Fedora shipping debug-enabled kernels during the development cycle: yes this is true and yes it slows down performance so it's not very good for testing performance. But there are also kernels without debug enabled.

You can get a non-debug kernel from the nodebug repo:

There are also non-debug kernels in koji:

More info about the Fedora Kernel Debugging Strategy and what makes a debug kernel versus a non-debug one can be found here:

Cheers,
                Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                  I am end-user. I dont belong to anyone. Are end-users permited here by you or you will kick me?

And if you read carefuly i say the word "most". The "most" is "sad". I am with the rest "not sad" piece of cake. gege?
                  Ubuntu FanBoy more like it most of your Comments are in light of Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    The Most? Of course that must be Debian pure. It is the most sane community platform and if not the best it is always somewhere in the middle of everything .
                    Debian non free maybe

Comment

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                      The only thing worse than a fanboy is a hypocrite. Combine the two and we have MrTheSoulz who sounds a lot like BO$$ probably made another account as per usual.

Case and point.
                      im not a fanboy, im expresing my opinions or i dont have the right to? the same way i ditched windows i can simply ditch linux even ubuntu if they do something i dont like.
                      now go back to the distro-wars and see whos the fanboy
                      also i dont know who BO$$ is but it sure aint me, this will be my last reply i dont use forums, only reason i did was to aplaud fanboys for destroying the website i like. goodbye

Comment

Working...
                      X