Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
    since i do not care about any other distro phoronix will not be news site for me anymore i guess wich makes me VERY sad becuase i used to check in at least 5 times a day here to see the news :C
    I don't care about Ubuntu one bit, yet I'm still here. Linux distros as a whole means something to me.

Anyhow, I agree that the question is somewhat worded incorrectly. It should be x vs wayland vs mir to show the difference in the displays for games, for compile times, a distro without a display server running screen may suffice.
    Linux is an amazing thing. Don't limit yourself into thinking one distro to rule them all, or that every distro should be tested regardless of how redundant.

In spirit of what you asked a heads up Fedora vs Ubuntu in most benchmarks should cover the bases I would think (not that I use either).

Comment

I vote for Arch. It is vanilla, easily configurable, and up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        The distro with the highest market share using deb. Currently probably Ubuntu.
        The distro with the highest market share using rpm. Currently probably Fedora.
        The distro with the highest market share using cutting edge rolling release model to track the latest in Linux. Currently probably Arch.

In my opinion benchmarking these 3 categories gives a good general picture.
        The DEB/RPM split in terms of benchmarking is pointless. In the end you still get the exact same package. What you might have meant is Ubuntu/rest of the world split, which does make sense.

And no, Arch still makes no sense to benchmark, because it has no defaults and takes time to set up.

Comment

You guys and your distro wars did it...
          i guess this where we say good bye Phoronix
          since i do not care about any other distro phoronix will not be news site for me anymore i guess wich makes me VERY sad becuase i used to check in at least 5 times a day here to see the news :C

For the trolls: Be carefull what u wish for, if ubuntu would to fall it wont fall alone...
          people dont like change and they would probably be like me and just give up on linux and go back to windows.
          Go head and hate me for saying the truth that you ignore because u are in love with other distro.

Thank you for the years of fun Phoronix, will miss you.
          The only thing worse than a fanboy is a hypocrite. Combine the two and we have MrTheSoulz who sounds a lot like BO$$ probably made another account as per usual.

like i said i dont care about any other distro..
          Case and point.

Comment

as a gentoo user: gentoo is a really bad choice, too variable. Same is probably true for arch.

I would use opensuse. Easy to setup AND their build services.

Comment

Mint, Fedora, openSUSE

Distros like Arch and Gentoo might be interesting, but I don't know if there's much point in benchmarking them since they're so customizable - like, in what setup would you benchmark a distro that doesn't really have a "default" configuration?

Arch and Gentoo could however be useful for benchmarking different desktop environments, with otherwise same setup underneath them.

Comment

Fedora Mint openSUSE

this is a hard one to pick Fedora has a lot of new tech Mint has LMDE and openSUSE is really well done? also you can turn it into a rolling release hmm

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  as a gentoo user: gentoo is a really bad choice, too variable. Same is probably true for arch.

I would use opensuse. Easy to setup AND their build services.
                  I agree as an Arch user.

Maybe you could benchmark Ubuntu & Fedora, when you do a benching run?

If you are benchmarking Ubuntu you should use the latest release anyway and not some 13.10 beta with PPAs. Otherwise it doesn't show the performance that a normal user would get.

Comment

openSUSE (or Fedora)

I think the reasoning on relevance to readers is a bit off. It might well be that Ubuntu is the "most popular" distribution, that applies however largely to the non-tech guys/girls.

Now, many of my friends/family use Ubuntu, but none of them knows anything about Phoronix.com. They simply don't care about all that tech stuff or some new version of Wayland. Contrary, I don't use Ubuntu at all and I do read Phoronix.com regularly, mainly because of the tech stuff and new version announcements of Wayland. Also nobody I know who reads Phoronix.com uses Ubuntu, most popular here is openSUSE, Fedora and Arch Linux.

@Michael: openSUSE has a kernel-of-the-day [1], besides many other repositories that follow closely the upstream development. Besides, the openSUSE build services [2] is just an excellent tool and by far better than anything Ubuntu/Canonical offers.
                    Now, I agree openSUSE has not always been the sleekest or most user-friendly distribution (one can see the huge influence of the German engineers trying to solve every problem perfectly ), but it has gotten lately much better with the 12.x releases!
                    Long story short: Use openSUSE, it's just the best.

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Kernel_of_the_day
                    [2] https://build.opensuse.org/

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      If you are benchmarking Ubuntu you should use the latest release anyway and not some 13.10 beta with PPAs. Otherwise it doesn't show the performance that a normal user would get.
                      Agreed otherwise you might as well start benchmarking Arch etc as it defeats the who reference point argument.

Comment

Working...
                      X