Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about Korora

What about Korora? Its basicaly Fedora but thinks are working out of the box.

Comment

I'd say, it depends on the benchmark and the readership (current and potential). But that has to be balanced against available manpower. I'm afraid that for desktop usage benchmarks, with the Mir/Wayland split, it soon will require two distros (or at least 1 common base with both graphical servers) no matter what. For now, stick with Ubuntu, it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
        You haven't read a thing I wrote, did you? Or you still think I consider Ubuntu a variant of GNU/Linux. Or you are too green to know the difference...
        i dont blame canocial from trying to become theyr wont thing...
        i actualy dont mind what so ever, like i said i dont care about any other distro... and besides if they dont fork the kernel is still linux and other distros can run what they run.

Comment

Originally posted by ayandon View Post
          Fedora and Arch Linux are must.
          Arch Linux doesn't support fglrx, and Fedora neither supports nvidia (proprietary driver) or fglrx.

Yes, you can use them, but it's unsupported and you can sometimes expect bad results.

Comment

I'd always thought from a convenience point-of-view that Arch would have been best because you could just script the installation instead of having to hand-hold it. You could set it running and leave it until finished. But I accept rolling release affects your ability to reproduce results.

I'd be happy if you used anything except Ubuntu or its derivatives, I think it's time to cut loose this travesty.

The people who have argued for Debian Unstable have convinced me with their argument for this choice so I vote for that.

Comment

My vote goes to Debian or one of its derivatives, such as SolydK.

PS: By the way, hello to you all . I've been a reader of Phoronix for years, but this is my first post in these forums.
              Last edited by negora; 26 July 2013, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Ubuntu

The Ubuntu family will do. It's easy to install software and most people use it/are interested in it.

Comment

Disclaimer: I use Archlinux for everything.

I think Linux Mint could be a good choice. According to distrowatch it is an even more popular distribution than Ubuntu and it adheres to common GNU/Linux practices rather than the -not made here- mentality.

I would however make use of a minimal Archlinux installation to perform the tests of the latest releases of various software.

Comment

Ubuntu + Fedora + Manjaro / Sabayon

Ubuntu with Mir and deb and more popular
                    Fedora with Wayland and rpm and Red Hat based
                    Manjaro with both - as arch uses to let the user choose - arch, and versions you can compare
                    or if you prefer or want to add other...
                    Sabayon with both and they use to have versions too

Comment

Originally posted by Kirurgs View Post

Comparisons IMHO should include:
                      1. Ubuntu 12.04.x - because that's the stable one, the people will use for business purpose, etc.
                      2. Ubuntu lastest - coz that's what other bunch of people use
                      if a article is about a comparsion from all this distros for every else stuff, michael shurely cant efficiency test 5 distros. that woudl 5x his work nearly.
                      3. ArchLinux - coz that's bleeding edge
                      in which universe is arch linux bleeding edge? mesa 9.1, firefox 22.0 and libreoffice 4.0 is everything but shurly not bleeding edge, . I would not even call that cutting edge.

4. Debian - the mother of bubuntus
                      no systemd, no tmpfs so a benchmark about debian says not much for any other distro, so not good distro to test destkop stuff.

5. Fedora - kinda bleeding edge, but quite popular
                      you can choose when you update, so you can a bit self define how stable you want your experience. Installed fedora 19 on my daddys pc coming from a ubuntu gnome desktop 1 month ago so far no big problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X