Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tumbleweed and/or Sabayon

OpenSuse is very good, as many have already noted. It's up to date with many customizations and optional builds for tests available that can be automated . OpenSuse Tumbleweed has the latest kernels and is pretty stable. I use it on a couple of machines with no problems. Sabayon has a lot to recommend as well. It doesn't have the big user base, but has a lot of gamer related options standard as well as several desktops. The stock kernel is usually older than Tumbleweed's but stable. They use a custom build for it though which may effect reproducibility on other distros more and would be a consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
      MrTheSoulz, we are carefully wishing that Canonical would just take their Androidified Debian Phone Distro and move far away from what has been GNU/Linux for decades. They don't add one iota to the thing we most care about. The only thing Canonical is doing is taking what they need and occasionally they drop what they wrote for themselves (and which no other Linux project is interested in) on a public website. It may be under (sometimes unfavourable) FOSS licenses, but it is squarely Ubuntu only.

If Canonical/Ubuntu disappears or cuts the ties officially with the GNU/Linux communities, we won't lose anything. Canonical doesn't write infrastructure (the few bits they do, no one else wants to use). So codewise they can be missed. We'll lose "the marketing that Canonical adds to GNU/Linux", but do they add it to GNU/Linux or are they just pushing their own increasingly non-GNU/Linux Mobi-buntu product?

When it comes to the alledgedly 20 million Ubuntu users in Canonicals userbase, they are an unpricipled bunch who follow Canonical around and they accept whatever that company deems fit to give them. On top of that, these users, with their millions in numbers, are not enough to keep Canonical profitable. Tell me, what do those consumers add to GNU/Linux that we won't have without them? It isn't money flowing in the ecosystem, it isn't tecnical expertise, it isn't broader GNU/Linux advocacy, so what do you *buntu users add? Clout? In the decade that Canonical exists, these numbers have not brought any major software titles over from the Windows and Mac world. Don't take credit for Steam. we owe thanks for that to Microsoft, with their plan to turn Windows into a walled, application store controlled, phablet OS. Valve needed an escape.

So, why should the GNU/Linux communities care if *buntu users use a *buntu or Windows or Mac? You certainly aren't using GNU/Linux and you do nothing to advance it.
      what it gives to linux? thats easy it gives them what linux needs... users...
      linux may not need theyr code, but it surely needs theyr users to atrack outside companies.
      and the the phone thing dosent mean they left the desktop, sure they are a bit more focused on the phone right now but they need to be becuase it wheres it needs to be fixed/finished mostly.
      profit? i think the phone will atrack more users to ubuntu from outside linux meaning more profit and more outside suport.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
        MrTheSoulz, we are carefully wishing that ...
        linux may not need theyr code, but it surely needs theyr users to atrack outside companies.
        and the the phone thing dosent mean they left the desktop, sure they are a bit more focused on the phone right now but they need to be becuase it wheres it needs to be fixed/finished mostly.
        profit? i think the phone will atrack more users to ubuntu from outside linux meaning more profit and more outside suport.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
          You haven't read a thing I wrote, did you? Or you still think I consider Ubuntu a variant of GNU/Linux. Or you are too green to know the difference...

Comment

openSUSE gets my vote!

Comment

Concerning:
              The reason Fedora (and some other distributions) are not benchmarked more in the ever-changing Linux landscape is their use of debug builds by default for development packages, which can negatively affect performance.
              -> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RawhideKernelNodebug
              (Or just use the latest stable release kernel on rawhide)

Comment

I'd vote for adding OpenSUSE in the benchmark-ed list just because i am an opensuse user since several years already so i could use a professional opinion (aside my own (amateur-ish) benchmark).

Being an amateur also prevents me for providing a professional reasoning but I wonder if you would see a good idea to provide a cross comparison between many distro's (the mainstream ones maybe if bench marking the majority might be a problem), maybe grouped on the kernel version.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                  I'm a Gentoo user at home and a Fedora user at work. I agree that Gentoo would be totally wrong for this. Far too much variation and it's not exactly a system you can just set up and tear down in a hurry. If the debug build issue can be resolved then Fedora seems ideal. It doesn't stray too far from the norm but does keep close to the edge. It's also commonly used.
                  Seeing so much support for OpenSUSE, I think I'd like to add my own support for that too. It has impressed me lately but I didn't think others would be interested.

Comment

Trying to be constructive...

One stable distro: Debian/Ubuntu LTS
                    One up to date distro: Arch
                    One more "not very well known" distro: Chakra or something. Could be changed every now and then...
                    And something evil: Win if you got the time.

Yeah, and regarding DEs, KDE have my support...

Comment

The distro with the highest market share using deb. Currently probably Ubuntu.
                      The distro with the highest market share using rpm. Currently probably Fedora.
                      The distro with the highest market share using cutting edge rolling release model to track the latest in Linux. Currently probably Arch.

In my opinion benchmarking these 3 categories gives a good general picture.

Comment

Working...
                      X