Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinuxGamer
    replied
    Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
    Sadly, I think Fedora is going to get the vote. Like many others I find OpenSuSE to be the better choice with it's Open Build Service and SuSE Studio for making and distributing a PTS Spin. In the end it is up to Michael to decide the way he wants to run things.

On a side note, God only knows how many times Q voted...
    i seen ppl using the SuSE Studio to make debian spin's

Leave a comment:

• jmcharron
    replied
    Sadly, I think Fedora is going to get the vote. Like many others I find OpenSuSE to be the better choice with it's Open Build Service and SuSE Studio for making and distributing a PTS Spin. In the end it is up to Michael to decide the way he wants to run things.

On a side note, God only knows how many times Q voted...

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Fanboysm?

I think not.

I think, more often than not, it's simply just a case of a persons experience with linux and they jsut want to see it promoted.

That's a GOOD thing.

But I'm biased. I'm me. I can't not be.

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Arch should be benchmarked

While i am a (very happy) Mint user, i think Arch and maybe slackware should be benchmarked.
    Maybe results compared to a more user-friendly distro, like ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

• xpressrazor
    replied
    Originally posted by Temar View Post
    You are raising an interesting point. Where does a "genuine" Linux distribution start and where does it end?
    May be he (could be she), is talking about http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    This is just insane, this forums are full of fanboysm! I thought developers/coders with some knowledge of the inner working of things and neutral view visited this forums, but it seems that the majority is religious, people who uses linux based operating systems and feel superior even when they haven't written one single application or line of code. Thats what I perceive of the people posting on this thread, people with the attitude of a child.
    Have you only just noticed this? Seriously, the forums here have always been full of rabid fanboyism. Sure, there *are* a few developers here with informed opinions, but the majority of forum content has always been fanboys bickering over whatever fanboys care about.

Encouraged by Michael, of course, since this entire thread and poll is little more than troll bait...

Leave a comment:

• teotwawki
    replied
    Ubuntu

I'd say Ubuntu for the following reasons of basic logic:

As you've already said, it's very popular and has LTS stability for comparability over time.

From a server point of view, it spans casual & serious users because formal support is available but optional.
    You mentioned that most Linuxes are pretty close on performance under the hood, so benchmarks looking into filesystems or new CPUs etc. should be just as insightful for CentOS & other server users.

When then main Ubuntu goes to Mir, there will doubtless be forks such as there are with Kubuntu etc.
    These derivatives from a common base allow comparing the effect of the different GUI layers.
    It also means that benchmarks unrelated to the GUI layers are just as informative for users of the derivatives.

Finally, better the devil you know. You are the one doing all the work so if there are aspects of Ubuntu that make your current workflow easier then any change is likely to reduce the amount of quality articles we get to read.

Leave a comment:

• ibrahimsuprapto
    replied
    Dear Phoronix, This Distro is a must

I think This Distro ...

1. Ubuntu LTS because it's for business and desktop user

Optional :

2. Centos/Redhat because it's used for Enterprise user
    3. Arch Linux, Simple, minimal and Rolling release Distribution
    4. Distro Major : Slackware<tgz based>, Redhat<rpm based>, Debian<deb based>

Leave a comment:

• korrode
    replied
    Arch / Manjaro
    If Arch isn't suitable for some reason; openSUSE.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by jijitus View Post
    Michael: why don't you create a poll? Something small where every Phoronix user can check all the distros they like - yes you might need to include the "stable" and "latest" of a few distros to keep everyone happy.
    You're clearly missing something.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X