Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would love to see more frequent benchmarking of Debian GNU/Linux, especially as Ubuntu diverges further from it, making for interesting comparison.

The stable/wheezy release is of course covered already. So I'd suggest a test system installed with testing/jessie and kept up-to-date with new features going in.

From time to time, specific tests could look at interesting stuff picked from unstable or non-free. Maybe APT pinning makes for an easy way to do that. With some aptitude tricks it is probably easy to undo this and return to a pristine testing/jessie system.

There is full flexibility of desktop environment in Debian, unlike some distros which focus on only one of them. Very easy setup of Xen/KVM allows for testing those vs. bare metal performance on the same installed system. All in all, a very versatile test system, which might only need to be installed once.

Comment

• LFS (Linux from scratch)

Comment

• Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Uhhhhh.... No. Check Steam for Linux. Check internet traffic sites. They tell a different tune.
        Those numbers are worthless and anyone who uses them as a basis for any sort of argument is either ignorant, or intentionally trying to mislead (ie. a liar).

Internet traffic sites, like netapplications and the like, only measure page hits from the pages of their few partner companies who participate in the program. That already gives a very biased sampling, concentrating too much on businesses and too little to home users (and ignoring countries outside Europe/USA pretty much completely). But to top that off, their methodology is flawed, with things like multiple users behind a NAT counted as a single user, and inaccuracies in detecting which OS is used.

Counting methods that identify by browser user agent are extra worthless, as many versions of Mint have the user agent set to report Ubuntu by default - thus resulting in many Mint installations being counted as Ubuntu.

Fact is that there is no reliable way to measure distro popularity. We can get ballpark figures, but nothing accurate.

Comment

• Here's what you said, Michael:

Fedora (Core) was my personal favorite.....
          with Mandrake......
          I also really like Xubuntu.....
          stints with Manjaro Linux, the defunct KateOS, Knoppix, openSUSE, CentOS....
          So then here are my nominations for you Michael, in this order:

You should benchmark with (1)Fedora, (2)Mandrake(Now Mageia?), (3) Xubuntu, (4) Manjaro, (5)Knoppix, (6)OpenSuse, or (7)CentOS.

I realize Ubuntu's popularity so naturally you will have it around frequently. But you gotta stop making it your non-stop first-stop. This:

As Ubuntu deviates more and more from the "conventional desktop Linux" stack
          This ^

We should not celebrate nor hold up walled gardens. We should discourage them.

Otherwise, if you want to have more walled gardens around here then you should benchmark Android alongside Ubuntu.

Comment

• Please no more Ubuntu.

I know that ubuntu is the most used (30 millions of users) and i don't know which other distro recommend to the noobs. But Ubuntu don't have to be more considered a genuine linux distro. Canonical has broke the rules there must be consequences. Cannot recommend Ubuntu derived (Mint, Xubuntu, etc) because are still ubuntu. Maybe should search for another debian derived, like Linux Mint Debian Edition or something.
            Last edited by felipe; 26 July 2013, 10:12 AM. Reason: what for which

Comment

• Ubuntu. Because it is still the most user friendly(out of box) and popular distribution.

Comment

• Originally posted by felipe View Post
                But Ubuntu don't have to be more considered a genuine linux distro.
                You are raising an interesting point. Where does a "genuine" Linux distribution start and where does it end?

Is android-x86 a genuine Linux Distribution? After all it ships Linux and has a "desktop" environment.
                Is openelec a genuine Linux Distribution? Altough it does not have a real desktop.
                Is Rebecca Black a genuine Linux Distribution? It's the only one shipping Wayland.
                Is OpenWRT a genuine Linux Distribution? It does not have a desktop at all.
                Are all these rescue systems out there "genuine" Linux distributions?

So what makes a "genuine" Linux Distribution? The desktop environment? The display server?

Obviously the kernel is one hard criteria. But the rest?

Originally posted by felipe View Post
                Canonical has broke the rules there must be consequences.
                That's just childish. Which rules are you talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by Temar View Post
                  You are raising an interesting point. Where does a "genuine" Linux distribution start and where does it end?

Is android-x86 a genuine Linux Distribution? After all it ships Linux and has a "desktop" environment.
                  Is openelec a genuine Linux Distribution? Altough it does not have a real desktop.
                  Is Rebecca Black a genuine Linux Distribution? It's the only one shipping Wayland.
                  Is OpenWRT a genuine Linux Distribution? It does not have a desktop at all.
                  Are all these rescue systems out there "genuine" Linux distributions?

So what makes a "genuine" Linux Distribution? The desktop environment? The display server?

Obviously the kernel is one hard criteria. But the rest?

That's just childish. Which rules are you talking about?
                  Everone is talking about Linux "shoulds"-"rules"-"preconditions" like its their property. I'm sorry to inform you that LINUS TORVALDS is PROUD of Android and he is using CHROMEBOOK!

Some already stated that Ubuntu and Android don't belong to Linux. Pathetic haters.

Comment

• I think OpenSUSE is the best choice. It follows the standards agreed upon by almost all non-Ubuntu distros. Systemd, equal focus on KDE and Gnome, planning on Wayland. It has the OBS that function pretty much like Ubuntus PPA.
                    Personally I use Manjaro Linux at the moment, which a quick and easy way to get Arch up and going. Also a good choice.

Comment

• For the people listing multiple distros, this isn't about comparing distros to each other (though there are articles like that occasionally). This is about having one distro to use as a reliable testbed.

Based on reading this thread, I would go with opensuse if a change is needed. IMO, There's really no reason to move away from X/Ubuntu unless using X/Wayland becomes difficult. Yes, people are going to complain, but there is no choice that will make everyone happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X