Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnonymousCoward
    replied

Animated ads are also very intrusive IMO.

1.) fix ads
    2.) people disable adblock
    3.) ???
    4.) profit!

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Other options include:

- Piping Phoronix ads through the same scripts that serve OpenBenchmarking.org result graphs, so if you block ads, you accidentally block the results too.

- The nicer option (and hits some users right now even though I only inadvertently discovered it that way and doesn't affect the end-user as much) is if AdBlock is used somehow/sometimes it already detects the SVG/JS OpenBenchmarking.org graphs as thinking its an ad so it falls back to using the static PNG image results that are less useful. I don't have any intentional OB ad-checker right now but some AdBlock users have reported that they are hitting PNG-only results.
    Animated bar graphs aren't useful, the .png uses less resources and loads faster. It's as stupid as 3D Guru's use of Flash for their graphs.

Piping the ads and graphs through the same server wont work either, it's a 5 min job to tweak the blocklists and upload them to the various blocklist hosts for an even more deliberate block.

If you want to play Cat & Mouse, fine, but Jerry always beats Tom.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    No! The only thing more annoying than ads themselves is this. AFAIK adblock supports a whitelist, use it! (I do not use firefox, so I just checked : that feature exists and works)

Serafean
    No. 99% of sites aren't worth the over use of annoying ads they serve. H-Online was one of the few decent news sites.

Originally posted by glasen View Post
    You can always try to learn german and read the original german articles:

http://www.heise.de/open/
    German is as painful to the ears as nails on a chalkboard and auto translation sites suck.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    It's a very sad day. They created very high quality content. Damn.
    Which is more then you can say for Phoronix.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by oliver View Post
    There's 2 ways to do this. CNC software shows you an anti-adblock banner when you visit their site when adds fail to load, really ingenious as I tried to figure why I was seeing this without adblock on (proxy that blocks add domains)

Look how the eev blog does it, they have 'normal' adds that don't get blocked at all (all hosted locally).

The cnc soft way is probably the only way for phoronix.
    Other options include:

- Piping Phoronix ads through the same scripts that serve OpenBenchmarking.org result graphs, so if you block ads, you accidentally block the results too.

- The nicer option (and hits some users right now even though I only inadvertently discovered it that way and doesn't affect the end-user as much) is if AdBlock is used somehow/sometimes it already detects the SVG/JS OpenBenchmarking.org graphs as thinking its an ad so it falls back to using the static PNG image results that are less useful. I don't have any intentional OB ad-checker right now but some AdBlock users have reported that they are hitting PNG-only results.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Are there any adblockers which optionally load ads for specific sites but don't display them?

That way it would be possible to support them but without getting annoyed.

Leave a comment:

• oliver
    replied
    Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
    can we have a notification when using adblock?
    like ask us to disable it on this domain to support the website, alot of ppl forget to disable it simply buase they have it on all the time like me, the internet is full of annoying ads but as long as the ads displayed ion here arent those intrusive ads i will glady disable adblock to support you.
    There's 2 ways to do this. CNC software shows you an anti-adblock banner when you visit their site when adds fail to load, really ingenious as I tried to figure why I was seeing this without adblock on (proxy that blocks add domains)

Look how the eev blog does it, they have 'normal' adds that don't get blocked at all (all hosted locally).

The cnc soft way is probably the only way for phoronix.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by caryhartline View Post
    The best websites are the ones who make advertising deals and show things that readers would actually be interested in. I don't use Adblock, but I'm tempted to on Phoronix when I have a giant nearly naked anime woman on one side of my screen and Office 365 on the other.
    Microsoft is actually one of the largest advertisers on Phoronix. They pay by impression so you don't need to click the ad to help us out, so if you're not interested in the ad, great! In terms of those saying about gambling or 'naked lady' ads, they are mostly fallback ads from our thier-three networks in non-US non-EU countries countries where there isn't much ad presence. I wish there were more companies interested in Linux advertising, but there isn't.

Leave a comment:

• caryhartline
    replied
    Better Advertising

The best websites are the ones who make advertising deals and show things that readers would actually be interested in. I don't use Adblock, but I'm tempted to on Phoronix when I have a giant nearly naked anime woman on one side of my screen and Office 365 on the other.

Leave a comment:

• e8hffff
    replied
    The major problem was they had a bitch of a commenting system.

It's hard to get people to invest in your site. It's a quirk of the internet, even though there are billions of people online. This means you have to have the least amount of hindrance when people comment or upload content.

Leave a comment:

• jakubo
    replied
    so if i understand you well:
    You gain money by offering PTS and stuff and make journalists work form a rather idealistic perspective (plus ads)...?
    shouldn't companies whose work you advertise to the masses give a little help? Maybe you could make the same step as X.org did and register as some kind of charity thing to easier accept donations (from companies as they, at least by german law, can reduce taxes by that amount - up to 20% of their income - i guess thats why BMW is interested in sailing ) and from that you could hire one of those guys that just have lost their job... and yourself concentrate on PTS...?
    i guess im either naive or statin the obvious but i'd bite my ass if not having tried.
    (I dont have a donkey for those wondering me doing any harm to an animal...)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X