Another Linux Site Shuts Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliver View Post
    There's 2 ways to do this. CNC software shows you an anti-adblock banner when you visit their site when adds fail to load, really ingenious as I tried to figure why I was seeing this without adblock on (proxy that blocks add domains)

Look how the eev blog does it, they have 'normal' adds that don't get blocked at all (all hosted locally).

The cnc soft way is probably the only way for phoronix.
    Other options include:

- Piping Phoronix ads through the same scripts that serve OpenBenchmarking.org result graphs, so if you block ads, you accidentally block the results too.

- The nicer option (and hits some users right now even though I only inadvertently discovered it that way and doesn't affect the end-user as much) is if AdBlock is used somehow/sometimes it already detects the SVG/JS OpenBenchmarking.org graphs as thinking its an ad so it falls back to using the static PNG image results that are less useful. I don't have any intentional OB ad-checker right now but some AdBlock users have reported that they are hitting PNG-only results.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
      No! The only thing more annoying than ads themselves is this. AFAIK adblock supports a whitelist, use it! (I do not use firefox, so I just checked : that feature exists and works)

Serafean
      No. 99% of sites aren't worth the over use of annoying ads they serve. H-Online was one of the few decent news sites.

Originally posted by glasen View Post
      You can always try to learn german and read the original german articles:

http://www.heise.de/open/
      German is as painful to the ears as nails on a chalkboard and auto translation sites suck.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      It's a very sad day. They created very high quality content. Damn.
      Which is more then you can say for Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Other options include:

- Piping Phoronix ads through the same scripts that serve OpenBenchmarking.org result graphs, so if you block ads, you accidentally block the results too.

- The nicer option (and hits some users right now even though I only inadvertently discovered it that way and doesn't affect the end-user as much) is if AdBlock is used somehow/sometimes it already detects the SVG/JS OpenBenchmarking.org graphs as thinking its an ad so it falls back to using the static PNG image results that are less useful. I don't have any intentional OB ad-checker right now but some AdBlock users have reported that they are hitting PNG-only results.
        Animated bar graphs aren't useful, the .png uses less resources and loads faster. It's as stupid as 3D Guru's use of Flash for their graphs.

Piping the ads and graphs through the same server wont work either, it's a 5 min job to tweak the blocklists and upload them to the various blocklist hosts for an even more deliberate block.

If you want to play Cat & Mouse, fine, but Jerry always beats Tom.

Comment

Animated ads are also very intrusive IMO.

1.) fix ads
          2.) people disable adblock
          3.) ???
          4.) profit!

Comment

Working...
          X