No announcement yet.

Another Linux Site Shuts Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is so fucking sad.. The H had by far some of the most high quality articles I've ever seen for an Sec/Open Source news site.

Also,

I wish they would have at least taken donations.

Comment

Sad

This is very bad news. They had high quality content and I liked that they were explaining what was interesting about every kernel release. I wish they have told us they have problems so we could helped them.

Comment

The ads on this site are terrible, as others have already stated.
        Dating sites, Microsoft products, Antivirus software, Womans clothes... really not interested in those.
        Last edited by AnonymousCoward; 20 July 2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

+100. Give me suscriber-only full RSS sources, and I'll suscribe.

Comment

so if i understand you well:
            You gain money by offering PTS and stuff and make journalists work form a rather idealistic perspective (plus ads)...?
            shouldn't companies whose work you advertise to the masses give a little help? Maybe you could make the same step as X.org did and register as some kind of charity thing to easier accept donations (from companies as they, at least by german law, can reduce taxes by that amount - up to 20% of their income - i guess thats why BMW is interested in sailing ) and from that you could hire one of those guys that just have lost their job... and yourself concentrate on PTS...?
            i guess im either naive or statin the obvious but i'd bite my ass if not having tried.
            (I dont have a donkey for those wondering me doing any harm to an animal...)

Comment

The major problem was they had a bitch of a commenting system.

It's hard to get people to invest in your site. It's a quirk of the internet, even though there are billions of people online. This means you have to have the least amount of hindrance when people comment or upload content.

Comment

Better Advertising

The best websites are the ones who make advertising deals and show things that readers would actually be interested in. I don't use Adblock, but I'm tempted to on Phoronix when I have a giant nearly naked anime woman on one side of my screen and Office 365 on the other.

Comment

Originally posted by caryhartline View Post
                  The best websites are the ones who make advertising deals and show things that readers would actually be interested in. I don't use Adblock, but I'm tempted to on Phoronix when I have a giant nearly naked anime woman on one side of my screen and Office 365 on the other.
                  Microsoft is actually one of the largest advertisers on Phoronix. They pay by impression so you don't need to click the ad to help us out, so if you're not interested in the ad, great! In terms of those saying about gambling or 'naked lady' ads, they are mostly fallback ads from our thier-three networks in non-US non-EU countries countries where there isn't much ad presence. I wish there were more companies interested in Linux advertising, but there isn't.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
                    can we have a notification when using adblock?
                    like ask us to disable it on this domain to support the website, alot of ppl forget to disable it simply buase they have it on all the time like me, the internet is full of annoying ads but as long as the ads displayed ion here arent those intrusive ads i will glady disable adblock to support you.
                    There's 2 ways to do this. CNC software shows you an anti-adblock banner when you visit their site when adds fail to load, really ingenious as I tried to figure why I was seeing this without adblock on (proxy that blocks add domains)

Look how the eev blog does it, they have 'normal' adds that don't get blocked at all (all hosted locally).

The cnc soft way is probably the only way for phoronix.

Comment

Are there any adblockers which optionally load ads for specific sites but don't display them?

That way it would be possible to support them but without getting annoyed.

Comment

Working...
                      X