No announcement yet.

Another Linux Site Shuts Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, no Phoronix G+ page/community?

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
      can we have a notification when using adblock?
      like ask us to disable it on this domain to support the website, alot of ppl forget to disable it simply buase they have it on all the time like me, the internet is full of annoying ads but as long as the ads displayed ion here arent those intrusive ads i will glady disable adblock to support you.
      No! The only thing more annoying than ads themselves is this. AFAIK adblock supports a whitelist, use it! (I do not use firefox, so I just checked : that feature exists and works)

Serafean

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
        can we have a notification when using adblock?
        like ask us to disable it on this domain to support the website, alot of ppl forget to disable it simply buase they have it on all the time like me, the internet is full of annoying ads but as long as the ads displayed ion here arent those intrusive ads i will glady disable adblock to support you.
        To be honest, the ads here suck: dating sites (mainly this), credit cards, cell carriers and other services that I have no interest in. It's way too generic. You might think that on a Linux related site the ads would actually have some relevance to Linux users. I don't know exactly what would tempt me to click those ads, but maybe a good start would be ads from companies that actually make stuff for Linux, or hardware that I might buy.

Disclaimer: it could just be me.

Comment

I use AdBlock and Ghostery however, I do unblock those news/tech sites that I frequent regularly if I don't own a subscription. While I loath Internet advertising I'm not naive enough to think I can wholesale block it everywhere and not have an impact to those sites I'm accessing. I read Phoronix without a premium membership and if I want to keep it that way I let the adverts through. I do agree with the suggestion that if you detect an adblock or the like, have a popup reminding those viewers to unblock the site. I use multiple browsers across multiple machines across multiple OS installs so I forget to whitelist the site sometimes.

Comment

I'd subscribe again, but last I've heard the you-have-to-come-to-the-forums-every-day bug still isn't fixed

Also the H rocked, very sad to see them leave.

Comment

I really don't wanna sound like I'm telling you how to make money, Michael, but I believe PTS consulting and custom development, especially for the HPC and big data Linux industries, could be a good revenue stream, with Phoronix mostly a place where you publicize the consulting biz.

In that regard, you'd want the articles to focus less on gaming and more on server speed, etc. In any case, a lot of the folks playing games today will be running IT teams tomorrow.

Just my two cents. All the best!
              Last edited by mendieta; 19 July 2013, 08:41 PM. Reason: I quoted the wrong post!

Comment

AdBlockPlus does not block non-intrusive ads (by default).
                Adblock Plus introduces the Acceptable Ads initiative: Support websites that rely on advertising but choose to do it in a nonintrusive way.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  I really don't wanna sound like I'm telling you how to make money, Michael, but I believe PTS consulting and custom development, especially for the HPC and big data Linux industries, could be a good revenue stream, with Phoronix mostly a place where you publicize the consulting biz.
                  There's already lots of commercial / consulting stuff around PTS, but unfortunately Phoronix takes up much of my time...
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

there's an abundance of people using AdBlock, etc, that do much damage to the publisher.
                    radeonhd.org
                    chernobyl2010.com
                    openbenchmarking.org
                    phoronix.com
                    phoronix-test-suite.com
                    pts-desktop-live.com which redirects to the previous address
                    phorogit.com
                    phoronix-media.com
                    phoromatic.com
                    michaellarabel.com

it's a waste to turn off the adblock, all the money from ads/stats are going to be spent on phoro* domains.

Comment

Add Flattr buttons. I'm not interested in watching any ads, unless they are in some way nicely integrated with the website, but I really frequently click Flattr buttons on any content that I like.

Comment

Working...
                      X