Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Except 2010 was the year that KDE switched over to Git from SVN, and that was in October in correspondence with the beginning of the change from stability to a downturn, which basically means that Ohloh is only tracking SVN which means that there are as many KDE developers working in the old SVN repo as Gnome has overall...

And don't expect that graph to grow anymore past July 1st http://sysadmin.kde.org/move-to-git-now/ because while they're not completely shutting down SVN just yet they're saying okay no new people in SVN.

So Better Luck Next Time
      Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 06 June 2013, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Except 2010 was the year that KDE switched over to Git from SVN, and that was in October in correspondence with the beginning of the change from stability to a downturn, which basically means that Ohloh is only tracking SVN which means that there are as many KDE developers working in the old SVN repo as Gnome has overall...
        Ohloh also tracks the Git repos of KDE. Here's the list of what it's tracking:

And it doesn't matter when a repo is added in Ohloh; it considers the whole history and date of addition doesn't matter. So the graph seems valid and KDE is indeed dropping like a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Ohloh also tracks the Git repos of KDE. Here's the list of what it's tracking:

And it doesn't matter when a repo is added in Ohloh; it considers the whole history and date of addition doesn't matter. So the graph seems valid and KDE is indeed dropping like a rock.
          given the coinciding number with the dates of events I don't trust it isn't counting something wrong. Although another option is that given that KDE has been doing restructuring that it's not tracking all of the Git Repos although I'm not going to spend the effort checking through those 38 pages...

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
            And you should be happy for Gnome making bold but smart moves. RHEL7 beta is soon here and we should all be happy to see Gnome3 power this future enterprise level OS.
            Yes and I'm sure everyone will happily open PackageKit or the terminal and install another DE.

Comment

It's too bad that the Classic Mode is more of a superficial makeover than anything else, it still doesn't address the underlying problems of GNOME 3.

IMHO Red Hat are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if they include GNOME 3 with the default settings out of the box they will likely receive a lot of criticism and ridicule. However if they offer the choice of switching to the Classic Mode at install time etc. no doubt that will be seen as Red Hat admitting that the GNOME Shell etc. is not good enough.

Comment

Gnome is a GREAT product and you should be happy about that.
                IMHO GNOME 2 was/is a great product but GNOME 3 is not. Given the lukewarm reaction to the GNOME Shell, the number of projects that have came about (i.e. Cinnamon) to fix its shortcomings, I'm sure there is a large proportion of users who would agree with that standpoint.

Comment

GNOME 2 was a great product due to its flexibility. Unfortunately now the devs seemed to have taken a "less is more" and "its our way or the highway" approach and assume that they know what is best for the user. Unfortunately the seem to be polluting GTK+ with the same ethos as well.

I don't have any problems with them trying out now things but their execution has been flawed and ultimately alienating. As I've said in another thread, I'm pleased to see that they have re-introduced a Classic Mode but it seems to be merely an attempt to apease their critics rather than a genuine attempt to change the overall direction of the GNOME project for the better.

I'm sure that MATE and Cinnamon will be around for a long time yet and if anything you should be thankful they are doing well as otherwise we might be seeing a faster exodus to Qt land.

Comment

cinnamon is a windows xp clone. not that there's anything wrong with that, but the design principles are not anything new. the problem is that it's essentially designed by hobbyist amateurs, who are not professional UI designers like the ones in Gnome or KDE projects.

Comment

Just like Gnome 3 is becoming. History repeats it self. And you should be happy about that. Gnome 3 is becoming the new Gnome 2. Smile.
                      Not quite, GNOME 2 was more flexible by design i.e. the End user could edit and/or re-arrange the user interface by default, that is not the case with GNOME 3 without the use of extensions.

A side note: it is never a good idea to tell people what they should or shouldn't like. You won't win many arguments that way.

That is fine I guess. Everybody knows XP. Cinnamons problem is it started as a protest. Most protests go nowhere.
                      GNOME was a "protest" against the old Qt licencing issue. Perhaps you would care to elaborate how you think Cinnamon is merely a protest, because I see it more as a response to legitimate concern.

Comment

Working...
                      X