No announcement yet.

Linux Game Development and a Qt Developers Rage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder, maybe instead of ripping their code apart maybe it would be beneficial to actually sell your idea to authors of mentioned programs. Maybe Fragmentarium author would be willing to work with you with a common goal in mind. Just an idea but maybe worth a shot. This topic is already becoming a real gold mine of useful programs and tool, I must admit I had no idea Fragmentarium existed and it looks like a real gem. Thanks for keeping us all updated!

Comment

Originally posted by RushPL View Post
      I wonder, maybe instead of ripping their code apart maybe it would be beneficial to actually sell your idea to authors of mentioned programs. Maybe Fragmentarium author would be willing to work with you with a common goal in mind. Just an idea but maybe worth a shot. This topic is already becoming a real gold mine of useful programs and tool, I must admit I had no idea Fragmentarium existed and it looks like a real gem. Thanks for keeping us all updated!
      I'm not exactly sure how to respond to that, except ...

1. The IDEA is public domain otherwise I wouldn’t be discussing it publicly.
      2. The goal was to gain a collection of plug-ins that I could use in my other non-related programming projects.
      3. My wife’s biggest grip is that I donate far to much money to oss projects without discussing it with her first. "So we don’t end-up in the red"
      4. I know lots of people "in my family" that try and do sell every idea that they come across, there typical behavior is to whisper behind peoples back that don’t
      have money calling them "Scumbags, and Eaters". Because of this I have never, sought out wealth in any way shape or form and never will. I will die poor and happy.
      5. Adobe, The Foundry, Autodesk, .... Wouldn’t appreciate the fact that I am sitting here probing threw there applications features making a list of what they do and how or where I can
      acquire this "feature" as it is. And even more so if I tried to sell that.
      6. I program and use linux because I enjoy it, and want others to enjoy it also. And not have to go threw the hell that I had to while I was learning.

There are lots of other reason but I am going to refrain from my 2000+ reason's why this topics title has meaning.

Note: If your looking for Royalty Free (CC) licensed Music for your project http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/
      I donate $5 every month.
      Last edited by zester; 17 May 2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

To the guy above, didn't mean to be snappy or anything, but I have no interest in selling any ideas off or charging people money or trying to make money in anyway,
        other than accepting donations "WHEN" its useful and "FROM" those that want to donate, its not a requirement. I am more interested in Ideas and Code contributions.

To everyone

This project was something I wanted to work on based on my own needs, and I only created the topic because some others had ask for more information and I didn’t want to
        go off topic so I created a new topic to discuses it. Otherwise I had planned to wait until the idea had materialized into something more useful.

So what your seeing right now is the "exploratory" phase of a software development project, considering I am one of the oldest and most experienced Linux Qt developers in the community.

About zester http://qt-project.org/member/2183

I have been an active member of the opensource community since 1997.
        I have held a position as an editor for sites like..

KDE-Look.org
        KDE-Apps.org
        KDE-Files.org
        Qt-Apps.org
        Qt-Prop.org
        MeeGo-Central.org
        Maemo-Apps.org
        Since 2004.

I have been a contributing member to KDE for as long as it has publicly existed.
        If you use Linux, FreeBSD, Qt and KDE you have at one time or another ran into me or a snippet of my code I’m the guy who spoon fed you as a newbie lol

My Profile
        http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...sername=comtux

I am very confident that I will be able to turn all of this into something worthwhile, Forking and cherry-picking from other projects is the smart way to do it "IF" the code is in a clean and
        commented well designed state. It took Krita a few years to get Color Profile/Management support, I got it for free from one of the projects I had forked. and it was just a drop in type of deal.

Take that Fragmentarium program, that's going to be bad ass and not just for its intended purpose, my first thought was for projection painting generated fractal bump maps.

The key is ...

A. Knowing what you need.
        B. Either How to Develop it, Where to find it or How to pull it from its location and use it.
        C. How to put what you have back together in a usable form.

Note: Did some testing with the plug-in framework. To C++ Qt developers its going to be cake to develop plug-ins. On Another Note: PythonQt is being a BITCH in regards to
        binding it to none native Qt code. right now I only have it working for Library’s that I have already turned into a Qt library.
        Last edited by zester; 17 May 2013, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Post it on github then, clean up later.

Comment

Working...
          X