Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu To Get Its Own Package Format, App Installer

Phoronix: Ubuntu To Get Its Own Package Format, App Installer

While Ubuntu already has its own software store, Canonical developers are now working on their own application package installer and package format...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Horrible

Who didn't expect this? Most Ubuntu-.deb-packages aren't compatible with other Debian-distributions anyway, so it was just a matter of time for them to do their own bullshit.
    It might be only one more symptom of the NIH-syndrome, but I consider this even a dangerous tactic which most Debian-developers already warned us about.

Comment

Fake-ticker: Ubuntu To Get Its Own Kernel

In Watson's mailing list post he did bring up "why not use an existing kernel out there?" to implement your new system, considering the vast amount of code to be written... The answer is that they still might but that it wouldn't make much difference. The longer explanation appears to be they want the kernel catered to their platform more than anything else with each other kernel being rather designed for more than one distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
        Who didn't expect this? Most Ubuntu-.deb-packages aren't compatible with other Debian-distributions anyway, so it was just a matter of time for them to do their own bullshit.
        It might be only one more symptom of the NIH-syndrome, but I consider this even a dangerous tactic which most Debian-developers already warned us about.
        Well the upside is... everything is self-contained. They're using static libs, not shared libs, so to take this package and use it on debian or arch or fedora should (in theory) mean just copying the folder to the other distro, and running it.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

If i can install my Apps, without root privileges, in my own directory i'm happy.

Comment

So far from what I read on the mailing list and other wiki pages they listed and other people contributed seems rational and they still didn't decide on what they exactly want from that package format.This might be one of the best canonical decisions so far (aside from upstart and bazaar maybe) . this idea certainly is not new one but definitely needed one if they want to everything to go according to plan on mobile front. Hell maybe guys at the KDE Plasma Active could benefit from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              If i can install my Apps, without root privileges, in my own directory i'm happy.
              You already can. Simply use autopackage, zeroinstall or maybe klik.

Originally posted by Ericg
              They're using static libs, not shared libs, so to take this package and use it on debian or arch or fedora should (in theory) mean just copying the folder to the other distro, and running it.
              Really? Even for the base libs provided by the system?

Comment

Static linking?

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Well the upside is... everything is self-contained. They're using static libs, not shared libs, so to take this package and use it on debian or arch or fedora should (in theory) mean just copying the folder to the other distro, and running it.
                Static libs? I thought they were supposed to be dynamically linked.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
                  Static libs? I thought they were supposed to be dynamically linked.
                  The description says no inter-app dependencies with everything the app needs contained to the folder, that would imply every app will be statically linked to all the libraries it needs, and will ship with them in their folder.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    The description says no inter-app dependencies with everything the app needs contained to the folder, that would imply every app will be statically linked to all the libraries it needs, and will ship with them in their folder.
                    Right. Yet, this does not include the dynamic libraries provided by the Ubuntu base system and Ubuntu-only libs such as bindings to their new display server Mir, libindicator and such. If you restrict this dynamic linking to LSB-only libs, everything is fine and you can share those apps with other LSB systems. I bet, however, that the base system won't be LSB-only.

Comment

Working...
                    X