KDE Almost Lost All Of Their Git Repositories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    You've got to be kidding me. It's a dead cow. Tell me why nearly nobody is using it? Btw. what are you doing for Gentoo? Last time you were trolling for bsd and now you're trolling for slowlaris.
    I am not sure how you determined that Solaris' marketshare. Anyway, the open source version of Solaris is fairly popular at various data centers. Its kernel is by far better written from a reliability stand point than others that I have seen.

As for Gentoo, I tend to be all over the place, although the majority of the things that I do involve the kernel in some way. The most of the time that I spend on kernel stuff is spent on ZFSOnLinux, although I touch other areas too. Yesterday, I spent some time with another Gentoo developer on Nouveau reclocking support. In specific, we are now able to reclock both desktop and laptop versions of the NV92. The patch is not ready for upstream yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
      I am not sure how you determined that Solaris' marketshare. Anyway, the open source version of Solaris is fairly popular at various data centers. Its kernel is by far better written from a reliability stand point than others that I have seen.

As for Gentoo, I tend to be all over the place, although the majority of the things that I do involve the kernel in some way. The most of the time that I spend on kernel stuff is spent on ZFSOnLinux, although I touch other areas too. Yesterday, I spent some time with another Gentoo developer on Nouveau reclocking support. In specific, we are now able to reclock both desktop and laptop versions of the NV92. The patch is not ready for upstream yet though.
      Simply, by netcraft, for example. It's kernel is real mess and it's bloated as hell. As I have shown it's not reliable at all. So called open source version of solaris is at even worse state than solaris itself, so stop that bullshit right now. Nobody serious is using "open source" slowlaris and there are few (who didn't switch to Linux yet) that are using Oracle's Solaris.

Comment

Simply, by netcraft, for example. It's kernel is real mess and it's bloated as hell. As I have shown it's not reliable at all. So called open source version of solaris is at even worse state than solaris itself, so stop that bullshit right now. Nobody serious is using "open source" slowlaris and there are few (who didn't switch to Linux yet) that are using Oracle's Solaris.
        Netcraft surveys webservers. It would not catch the servers powering the Joyent cloud or any of the data analytics servers out there. It also would not catch things like Netflix's CDN, which runs FreeBSD.

You've got to be kidding me. It's a dead cow. Tell me why nearly nobody is using it? Btw. what are you doing for Gentoo? Last time you were trolling for bsd and now you're trolling for slowlaris. Get the facts till you write another bullshit next time:

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thr...art=0&tstart=0 unreliable slowlaris and zfs (somebody should tell KDE devs to not use it).
        It looks like you amended your post. Honestly, the latter link does not show any problem whatsoever. The former does talk about a problem, but it does not involve data loss and in all likelihood, it has been fixed.

If you think that a few random posts on the internet reflect the quality of an operating system, then you really should not use Linux. Google can provide you with numerous posts complaining about Linux-based operating systems. I regularly find problems in code common to all GNU/Linux operating systems in Gentoo.
        Last edited by ryao; 25 March 2013, 06:43 PM.

Comment

It looks like you amended your post. Honestly, the latter link does not show any problem whatsoever. The former does talk about a problem, but it does not involve data loss and in all likelihood, it has been fixed.

If you think that a few random posts on the internet reflect the quality of an operating system, then you really should not use Linux. Google can provide you with numerous posts complaining about Linux-based operating systems. I regularly find problems in code common to all GNU/Linux operating systems in Gentoo.
          You're doing the same hippo. There are dozens of slowlaris data loss, so stop kidding me. It's obvious you'll find more info about Linux, because Solaris is dead cow as I already mentioned.

We recently hit a major ZFS bug, causing the worst system outage of my 20 year IT career. The root cause: Synchronous writes on ZFS file s...

If you’ve got a Sun/Oracle support login, you can read that an "Abrupt System Reboot may Lead to ZFS Filesystem Data Integrity Issues" on al...
          Last edited by Guest; 25 March 2013, 06:47 PM.

Comment

You've got to be kidding me. It's a dead cow. Tell me why nearly nobody is using it? Btw. what are you doing for Gentoo? Last time you were trolling for bsd and now you're trolling for slowlaris.
            well to be honest nobody uses solaris because is lot more complicated than linux itself, specially on sparc hardware but Solaris is still a hell of an OS for server side operations and ZFS is quite an awesome FS[not the fastest but have many many awesome techs].

Sure i prefer Linux hands down but solaris is not about speed and never was, Solaris is for fault tolerance ambients and in that sense is king of the hill since 2 decades ago alongside AIX and IBM Mainframe OS.

So your are gravely mistaken solaris/AIX as a linux rival and they are not. For Example:

1.) Solaris: fault tolerant ambients in certified hardware normally tied to Hugely Massive Databases and Java App Servers or Massive SAP systems that require at least 99.99% uptime with a ridiculousness of ABI compatibility certified timeframe.[in recent years redhat have taken an piece of the pie here]
            2.) AIX: in many countries is your bank Best Friend from workstations to P System Data centers integrated with S Mainframes Systems and is only considered for utmost secure systems.[since is EXPENSIVE!!!!! but well if you pay $1 millon in just hardware it won't hurt your budget to much]
            3.) Linux: is versatile enough and secure enough and stable enough for everything else.

Sure linux is faster and everything we know but in the examples 1 and 2 those are multi million $$$ systems with strict warranties with very expensive expert in situ handling it, so this ppl is going to go with the most recommended/Tested/Accepted plataform available that guarantee you get your money back and for now AIX and Solaris are kings with RHEL fighting its way up

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              So your are gravely mistaken solaris/AIX as a linux rival and they are not. For Example:

1.) Solaris: fault tolerant ambients in certified hardware normally tied to Hugely Massive Databases and Java App Servers or Massive SAP systems that require at least 99.99% uptime with a ridiculousness of ABI compatibility certified timeframe.[in recent years redhat have taken an piece of the pie here]
              2.) AIX: in many countries is your bank Best Friend from workstations to P System Data centers integrated with S Mainframes Systems and is only considered for utmost secure systems.[since is EXPENSIVE!!!!! but well if you pay $1 millon in just hardware it won't hurt your budget to much]
              3.) Linux: is versatile enough and secure enough and stable enough for everything else.

Sure linux is faster and everything we know but in the examples 1 and 2 those are multi million $$$ systems with strict warranties with very expensive expert in situ handling it, so this ppl is going to go with the most recommended/Tested/Accepted plataform available that guarantee you get your money back and for now AIX and Solaris are kings with RHEL fighting its way up
              I'm not mistaken at all. Operating system and company who does things like this one can't be taken seriously:

Last week I wrote about how we got bit by a bug and ended up with lost/corrupted Oracle archive logs and a major outage. Unfortunately, Ora...

Those "massive" SAP systems are jokes compared to HPC or SGI big irons. I hope you'll agree.

Comment

I'm not mistaken at all. Operating system and company who does things like this one can't be taken seriously:

Last week I wrote about how we got bit by a bug and ended up with lost/corrupted Oracle archive logs and a major outage. Unfortunately, Ora...

Those "massive" SAP systems are jokes compared to HPC or SGI big irons. I hope you'll agree.
                There is a saying in news. If a dog bites a man, it is not news, but if a man bites a dog, it is news. The fact that Solaris had such bugs is news is a much better situation than the situation with Linux where such bugs are so common place that no one cares.

Comment

There is a saying in news. If a dog bites a man, it is not news, but if a man bites a dog, it is news. The fact that Solaris had such bugs is news is a much better situation than the situation with Linux where such bugs are so common place that no one cares.
                  If one is killed at war, it's not news, but if ten is killed in the peace time, it is news. If you don't get it: Linux is by far more popular - it's on the war. Futhermore, it's not Linux that ignores data corruption bugs, but slowlaris as I already proven it:

Retired from the day job. Chasing fresh air & sunshine.

Btw. Linux is used in stock exchanges while slowlaris can only dream about this. And stock exchange is one of the most critical workload where only most reliable systems survive:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23806...ll_street.html
                  "The release cycles with Solaris and AIX were very long -- two to three years between updates. Linux was able [to make the changes needed] within a month or so," Lameter said.
                  The LSE is far from the only one stock exchange to switch to Linux. More and more stock exchanges are realizing that when you really need speed, security, and stability, Linux is the operating system you need.

An enjoyable and important part about celebrating the decade of Red Hat Enterprise Linux is recognizing and honoring our customers that have collaborated with us and relied on Red Hat to run their mission-critical enterprise applications. This collaboration has contributed significantly to Red Hat Enterprise Linux industry leadership.The worldwide financial services industry is a prominent example of our leadership. Customers in this sector quickly realized the value of open source software and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Stock exchanges around the world – from NYSE Euronext to the Tokyo Stock Exchange – deploy Red Hat Enterprise Linux because of its reliability, scalability and performance. Today, 28 stock exchanges across 24 countries run Red Hat Enterprise Linux to handle more than 50 percent of the world’s trading volume. Red Hat takes our commitment to meeting the security needs of our customers seriously because we know that security is a key evaluation criterion for our customers running high-intensity, mission-critical stock exchange environments. NYSE Euronext turned to Red Hat Enterprise Linux for a high-speed, cost-effective platform that offers freedom from vendor lock-in and strong security capabilities. Our Asia Pacific stock exchange customers – currently 12 – use Red Hat Enterprise Linux and its SELinux technology.Through our community-powered approach and partner ecosystem strength, we continuously connect with technology leaders to bring proven, high-performing Linux solutions to our joint customers. For our worldwide financial institution customers, we recently partnered with Arkelis, a fully-owned subsidiary of SWIFT, to port the Arkelis Advanced Messaging Hub (AMH) to Red Hat Enterprise Linux to effectively manage the significant volumes of their incoming and outgoing messaging traffic.As we mark the 10th year of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, we celebrate the collaboration we have had with our customers and look forward to our continued innovation. Don’t miss the sessions and panels featuring our customers and partners at the upcoming Red Hat Summit and JBoss World in June, where we’ll also honor the winners of the Red Hat Innovation Awards, our annual recognition program honoring the individuals, companies and partners that have forged new ground by implementing Red Hat solutions.Find out more about Red Hat Enterprise Linux applications in the largest stock exchanges around the globe here. Check out our customer success videos here.
                  Last edited by Guest; 25 March 2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

well in most cases yes, Some SAP systems are massive enough to put those as tiny laptops tho but they aren't the common case i agree.

about your link i agree is quite a failure but is true too this don't affect Sun/Oracle main targets since is very unlike you will ever hit in a proper certified datacenter. This mostly apply to so company with cheap datacenters that got a couple of server with oracle/solaris for some DB's.

For example i worked with Sun[at that time][not at sun but i as a client side analist and certificator] in 1999 in a datacenter that costed 15 million USD and the certification went from structure to software and i can say last time any of those servers were shutdown was in 2001 after a 90 hours power failure and they only restart for upgrades since then.[Oracle handles it now] and in all this years Oracle/SAP and solaris never failed once, the sparc servers have never failed either and the SAN[ish] that came with it [hitachi] in all this years only 1 disk died and ZFS[was close to solaris 11 release] recovered the raid like a champ without failing any service. This datacenter is expected to produce until 2015 <-- this is the common case for solaris and the same applies to AIX.

the point been in a properly certified Solaris/AIX system something like an abrupt shutdown is a non tolerable issue to start with and it implies a grave mistake was made in some part of the certification process or by a very bad sysadmin and the data corruption is mostly nil since those datacenters are heavily redundant and clustered which make very hard to trigger this kind of failure in a fatal fashion.

this kind of errors are less likely to happen in linux tho since its main target is not those uber datacenters and you can expect power failures and many other issues and the server has to recover properly everytime as long as is possible.

not saying you are wrong tho, i won't use solaris to mount an Oracle DB of importance if i have a small non certified datacenter with a couple of servers i would use hands down RHEL or Oracle Linux but for a N million dollar certified datacenter ill go with Solaris/AIX eyes closed without a shred of doubt, for HPC ill go linux hands down too

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                      i won't use solaris to mount an Oracle DB of importance if i have a small non certified datacenter with a couple of servers i would use hands down RHEL or Oracle Linux but for a N million dollar certified datacenter ill go with Solaris/AIX eyes closed without a shred of doubt, for HPC ill go linux hands down too
                      The entire ZFS core team resigned months after Oracle killed Open Solaris, along with plenty of other Solaris engineers. They now work on Illumos at various companies (with the ZFS developers mostly Delphix). They have fixed plenty of bugs that were in the last release of Open Solaris. These bugs affect Oracle's Solaris, but Oracle cannot merge the fixes without releasing its source code. The resignation of so many of Oracle's engineers has also led to a situation where Oracle no longer has the engineering talent needed to continue development of many of Solaris' core innovations, which include ZFS and DTrace. With that in mind, you would be better off with OmniOS:

illumos based server OS with ZFS, DTrace, Crossbow, SMF, Bhyve, KVM and Linux zone support

It is an Illumos distribution with commercial support. In many ways, they are to Illumos what Redhat is to Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X