KDE Almost Lost All Of Their Git Repositories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    For example i worked with Sun[at that time][not at sun but i as a client side analist and certificator] in 1999 in a datacenter that costed 15 million USD and the certification went from structure to software and i can say last time any of those servers were shutdown was in 2001 after a 90 hours power failure and they only restart for upgrades since then.[Oracle handles it now] and in all this years Oracle/SAP and solaris never failed once, the sparc servers have never failed either and the SAN[ish] that came with it [hitachi] in all this years only 1 disk died and ZFS[was close to solaris 11 release] recovered the raid like a champ without failing any service. This datacenter is expected to produce until 2015 <-- this is the common case for solaris and the same applies to AIX.
    the point been in a properly certified Solaris/AIX system something like an abrupt shutdown is a non tolerable issue to start with and it implies a grave mistake was made in some part of the certification process or by a very bad sysadmin and the data corruption is mostly nil since those datacenters are heavily redundant and clustered which make very hard to trigger this kind of failure in a fatal fashion.
    I respect you and your comments, but the same applies to Linux. Linux was very strong in enterprise even in 2004. Todays it runs stock exchanges (you should agree hardware will cost a lot in this case) and demands highest reliability and stability. We can read some comments coming from Gentoo developer who compares enterprise Solaris to some home made Linux distribution, but something like this isn't sane.

this kind of errors are less likely to happen in linux tho since its main target is not those uber datacenters and you can expect power failures and many other issues and the server has to recover properly everytime as long as is possible.
    That's not true. Linux handled such workloads more than ten years ago. You can read about Linux usage in enterprise computing and critical workloads:

Comment

Working...
    X