X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    Hi, Here is what I would do in your case :

Serafean.
    Thanks for the outline but I don't think it's the right aproach to test this, at least initially. You focused on automation while we don't even have the system "back from AMD to Intel". IMHO we should figure out what to do in the first place to boot the system with installed fglrx back into Intel, manually. From what I see you think xorg.conf is the blocker here. I think you're wrong, as brosis noted the log file says:
    Code:
    Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"

Originally posted by brosis View Post

The best way would be to open a bug by fedora bugtracker.
    Won't it be outright invalid? I downgraded x server for instance (to install the catalyst legacy 13.1)... The issue was present on all unmodified distros I've tried during the past year on the other hand. I also hope they won't send me over to AMD forums, like ubuntu folks did.
    Last edited by Bucic; 28 April 2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
      Seen it. Yes, indeed there is one static device section from Catalyst.
      Granted, we solve this, there are also other things to consider - for example which provider offers libGL*..
      When using opensource drivers, libGL usually just points to radeon, nouveau or intel's mesa. But it could be different with fglrx. I don't know which libgl does it use, nor I know if fglrx replaces any vital components, which are used by Intel driver as well.

I can recommend you try two things:
      - try to use OpenSUSE, according to [1], Suse/OpenSUSE has long supported ability to automatically use several cards.
      - try to contact user "Kano" on phoronix. He is knows GPU-switching through and through

Meanwhile, try to add this.
      In terminal (replace "gedit" with your editor) open a new file:
      sudo dbus-launch gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-intel.conf

Paste and save following content:
      Code:
      Section "Device"
      	Identifier  "Videocard1"
      	Driver      "intel"
      EndSection
      This should make you boot, but I seriously doubt if any OpenGL acceleration(needed for composite desktop, effects etc) will work, since it might be still routed to fglrx's version of libGL.
      There is a lot to read on googling for "fglrx + intel", mostly mention vga switcheroo, which in your case has little effect because you have muxing videocards. But you CAN combine hprofile with method from Serafean and solve the issue!

But the most "magic" moment for me is why isn't Fedora supporting something like that out of the box with autodetection...
      The whole case is pretty much "Ubuntu"-like, meaning polished designed system, that is inflexible and requires Gentoo-like hacking when it comes to passing it onto specific hardware...

Comment

I don't get why you need Fedora. Fedora has IMHO no infrastructure to switch parallel installed gfx stacks. But Debian has em, therefore i have got an implementation for Kanotix that can do that in live mode AND on hd installs. The CeBIT Special iso images however would not help you directly as there i used fglrx 13.2 beta 7, but it works with a slightly different gfxdetect package also for fglrx-legacy drivers. If you want to use Fedora you could try using the amd tool for switching gfx drivers - but that usually works in a way where the package management is not involved. The logical consequence is when you have got mesa in package updates it stops working.

Comment

brosis,
          Since you've mentioned the libGl*... Recently I've uninstalled the catalyst to see if such a crude way would get me to desktop with Intel gr. enabled. It did! I issued the following command
          Code:
          su -c 'yum remove akmod-catalyst-legacy-* xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-legacy* xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-legacy-libs'
          It got me to my desktop all right, but with unacceptable performance. It could indicate a mess with some libs. In the future, how could I acquire information from such impaired system, which would help diagnose this?

Kano,
          If Debian has the infrastructure (I'm not sure what you mean here), then why the primitive switching didn't work on Ubuntu? As for my choice to stick to Fedora - I wouldn't want to turn my distro-world upside down just because of this, especially that I've never heard of the switching in question working on any distro.

I'm thinking of doing this
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and linking the gathered info to the bug I reported.

Comment

Some additional info I dag up. I have no idea how to make a use of it but then it may come to me later...
            (in the order of highest projected usefulness):
            Arch forums - [SOLVED] Switching graphics ati/intel
            Arch - ati hybrid graphic card(catalyst) conflict on libgl
            Linux questions intel-is-interfering-with-fglrx

I have an Acer which has an Intel i5 sandy bridge and an AMD HD 6650m. I want to install AMD graphics drivers. Will this cause conflict between the Intel HD3000 and AMD hd 6650m? If so, how do I re...

How do I go back to the open source driver? I installed AMD driver following on screen instructions but have a little shaded square in bottom right hand corner that says "AMD Unsupported hardware"...

Rage3D - Catalyst drivers and Intel chipset driver conflict

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
              Thanks for the outline but I don't think it's the right aproach to test this, at least initially. You focused on automation while we don't even have the system "back from AMD to Intel". IMHO we should figure out what to do in the first place to boot the system with installed fglrx back into Intel, manually. From what I see you think xorg.conf is the blocker here. I think you're wrong, as brosis noted the log file says:
              Code:
              Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"

Won't it be outright invalid? I downgraded x server for instance (to install the catalyst legacy 13.1)... The issue was present on all unmodified distros I've tried during the past year on the other hand. I also hope they won't send me over to AMD forums, like ubuntu folks did.
              Right, silly me. I completely forgot that catalyt completely replaces the GL implementation. I have no idea how taht happens in other distro than Gentoo or Arch. On Gentoo, both are installed side by side and can be selected by running "eselect opengl set [xorg-x11|ati]" Something in that respect would also need to be done on Fedora. No idea about how other distros fare in this regard.

xorg.conf.d is parsed only is xorg.conf doesn't exist. (or at least that's how it should be)
              especially that I've never heard of the switching in question working on any distro.
              I guarantee (from experience) that it works 100% reliably in Gentoo. Sabayon being a Gentoo derivative, I suppose it should work there too.

Comment

As I thought. My bug report has been closed
                It's a closed source driver issue. We can't support fglrx, fglrx bugs should be
                directed to AMD.

Comment

With a modification of fedora's mesa/libGL and Catalyst packages, this approach is doable. No idea how it works with BIOS switching though. I strongly suggest you start thinking about trying out different distros to find one with runtime libGl switching, since that seems to be the main blocker.

Serafean

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...Xpress_support

With a modification of fedora's mesa/libGL and Catalyst packages, this approach is doable. No idea how it works with BIOS switching though. I strongly suggest you start thinking about trying out different distros to find one with runtime libGl switching, since that seems to be the main blocker.

Serafean
                    Thanks, but since I need the fglrx only for gaming* the dual-boot scenario, Fedora as main system + other distro with LXDE for gaming, seems like a piece of cake right now when compared to the dreadful "switch to another distro"

Since both ubuntu and redhat people rejected my bug report I posted it here http://devgurus.amd.com/community/general_discussions (waiting for admin approval).

* in fact my poor intel graphics provides superrior desktop performance to AMD Catalyst (Gnome Shell, browser, video...)!

I wonder, is it possible that some of you would tell me how to fix the system configuration with Intel after Catalyst drivers have been uninstalled. Like I said earlier, I managed to unistall the Catalyst and boot into desktop with Intel, but with extremely poor performance.

This would let me restore my current system to the productivity-optimized configuration with Intel, so I could proceed with installing another distro for gaming without loosing anything I currently have got, configured and working.
                    Last edited by Bucic; 29 April 2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X