Miguel de Icaza Leaves Linux For Apple OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Cleaning up linux is a lot of work. Such ideas of mine would be to remove 3/4 of distros (the pointless ones like ubuntu christian edition, hannah montana linux, xandros, etc), remove every other modified firefox browser, kill off RPM, combine all the gnome 2 forks, and so on.
    Xandros has been dead for years, ubuntu christian edition it just ubuntu with custom default repository, it not part of any kind of fragmentation problem, other then been based on a canonical product.

RPM is part of Linux standard base, congrats on not following the standardization documentation.

There is only one gnome 2 fork, Mate. Cinnamon is gnome 3 fork, while Consort is a gnome 3 fallback fork. Mate will most likely be abandoned once wayland begin to replace X, for not enough developer to update the whole repository, cinnamon, lose relevance has customization feature get integrated in gnome 3 (not that it at a good customization state, but getting better at least). Consort still have to see if will worth it, but it does have better reason to exist, which is keeping the fallback mode, which is better if done correctly, has it permit gnome 3 compatibility while keeping gnome 2 paradigm.

More the kind of person that can go for a simple windows manager (for a minimal interface) or kde (but for lack of time combined with OCD reason I never got time to fully dive into it, if actually fit), but don't care really, so mostly stick with what already there, has my workflow mostly involve the CLI, a web browser and lot of VM.

Comment

Acceptible

I've seen headings similar to these before. Ian Murdock, Bob Young, also mac users now.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Mac lost touch in the PC market... literally.

For $500 you can get a touch-based Lapbook, boot ubuntu 12.10 and play Steam games.

Drama queens the whole lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
        The desktop was not fragmented before he himself started the GNOME project as an alternative to KDE...
        Yeah. Because Qts license model based on CLA is as shady as Mark Shuttleworths mind. BTW I like the irony; KDE founder Matthias Ettrich has done the exacly same; Leaving Linux and went by the dark path of Nokia(MS).

And Qt? After they went Blackberry crazy they are falling in love with... IOS.

Miguel=Matthias
        MONO=Qt.

Lesson: Add CLA and thing WILL blow up.

Comment

Originally posted by ruinairas View Post
          Linux is fragmented....He is right.
          One man's fragmentation is another man's choice. It's not just fragmentation for the sake of fragmentation. If something exists and is in use, then obviously it's either not exactly equivalent to its alternatives or is superior to them (in which case no fragmentation occurs). Same thing in ecology, if you have two species that use the same resources and have the same needs, then either they actually don't, or the stronger of the two will destroy the other one, given a bit of time.

Comment

Wonderful news! This stupid m$ troll should leave years ago, but it's good late than never. I just have two words to you, Icaza: get lost.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
              Good riddance.

Finally this idiot went away, I hope he never returns.

Stay where you are and don't come back. We don't need you.
              One thing he's not is an idiot. He's both an excellent coder and very charasmatic.
              You may not need him since he was no friend to KDE, but, again, he was great at building... communities, I guess. Gnome could sure use him if he could just layoff the MS teat.

Comment

One of the best things I've heard in a while. Not sure why he wasn't just kicked off in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  One man's fragmentation is another man's choice. It's not just fragmentation for the sake of fragmentation.
                  CLA is the prime reason for fragmentation. Look at MIR, mySQL, Unity, Upstart, Openoffice et al. Call em fragmentation or choice.. In reality they are just CLA shit and Linux could do without the drama.

Open source could be the better way of doing software; the best technical ideas win due to best software and least maintenance burden. Sure social dynamics like NIH had to be overcome, but thats low noise. CLA is the cancer here; It makes big business like Canonical go for clearly stupid shit because the gain CLA.

Comment

Fragmentation pisses me off as well. Have a look at distrowatch at all those lonely, script kiddies creating distros...

But Mac doesn't run on my hardware and has way outdated graphics etc. drivers.

So, no my main os will remain Ubuntu, while rebooting others for recompiling stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      One man's fragmentation is another man's choice. It's not just fragmentation for the sake of fragmentation. If something exists and is in use, then obviously it's either not exactly equivalent to its alternatives or is superior to them (in which case no fragmentation occurs). Same thing in ecology, if you have two species that use the same resources and have the same needs, then either they actually don't, or the stronger of the two will destroy the other one, given a bit of time.
                      But you lost that much time for developing that [fragmantation]. When u focuses on just one, then you can combine the best from these many fork into one. It's good we have choice, but if you have to much choice, then..

I'm with Smitchbag & Siride on this.

Comment

Working...
                      X