No announcement yet.

Miguel de Icaza Leaves Linux For Apple OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it wasn't gnome it would have been something else. KDE *needs* competition. I've tried it and don't like it, but I don't like gnome either. I will totally agree with the hating on moonlight, although it already runs on OSX (so MS could claim its cross platform regardless).

Comment

In OS X you have basically a UNIX-like OS that isn't a turd. So it's no surprise to see even developers moving from Linux to OS X.

Comment

Miguel who?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          In OS X you have basically a UNIX-like OS that isn't a turd. So it's no surprise to see even developers moving from Linux to OS X.
          UNIX-Like? OS X is a real Unix operating system:

"2010 UNIX on the Desktop Apple reports 50 million desktops and growing -- these are Certified UNIX systems."

"Over the years, Apple has been a great supporter of the UNIX standard, and today, Mac OS X is the most widely used UNIX desktop operating system. Apple?s installed base?over 50 million users? and commitment to the UNIX standard as a platform is significant to the UNIX certification program. We look forward to continuing to work with Apple and our other UNIX partners in promoting open and interoperable operating systems as the specification continues to evolve."

Today, Apple, Inc. released the latest version of the Mac OS X, version 10.8, also known as “Mountain Lion.” In addition to the product’s release, we are pleased to announce that Mac OS X Mountain Lion has achieved certification to The Open Group UNIX® 03 standard, which is the mark for systems conforming to the Single UNIX Specification, Version 3.

Comment

Yawns.....

Comment

While I cant say I agree with the choices Miguel made, he isn't wrong. The core problem Ive seen with linux since I started using it was fragmentation. Its asinine how many distros there are. There are too many forks of programs, too many package managers, too many side-projects that are DE specific, and so on. Competition is crucial for a product to be good but linux has so much of it that everything becomes mediocre in every direction. Linux as a kernel is fantastic but in userland its a disaster and continues to get worse as people decide to do things their own way rather than join as a community to make something good.

Cleaning up linux is a lot of work. Such ideas of mine would be to remove 3/4 of distros (the pointless ones like ubuntu christian edition, hannah montana linux, xandros, etc), remove every other modified firefox browser, kill off RPM, combine all the gnome 2 forks, and so on.

Comment

So much butthurt by the fanbois in this thread. Linux languages at less than 1% of the desktop for a reason, and that reason isn't because MS and Apple are *worse*.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
                  So much butthurt by the fanbois in this thread. Linux languages at less than 1% of the desktop for a reason, and that reason isn't because MS and Apple are *worse*.
                  Fail, I shifted towards exploring Linux ONLY because MS sucks.

--

Ok, now we have one problem less, Mac has one problem more. I am sure Miguel dreams to become Steve II.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Cleaning up linux is a lot of work. Such ideas of mine would be to remove 3/4 of distros (the pointless ones like ubuntu christian edition, hannah montana linux, xandros, etc), remove every other modified firefox browser, kill off RPM, combine all the gnome 2 forks, and so on.
                    I can't see how that would help. Everything you mentioned, with exception of RPM, is redundant, yes, but doesn't lead to unnecessary fragmentation. Firefox derivatives are still essentially Firefox, run all the extensions etc, Ubuntu Christian Edition and the likes are tiny and completely compatible with Ubuntu's repositories, so no fragmentation there either. I'm not aware of Gnome 2 forks other than MATE. Perhaps Concort, but Consort is based on Gnome 3 Fallback, not on Gnome 2, so they aren't redundant. Combining all the forks would be a disservice, since they're trying to address differently the problem of wanting a full GTK DE while having no/bad OpenGL capabilities. The best one will probably prevail in the end, but until that happens, let them both try and do their things. We'll all be richer for that.

Comment

I didn't hate all of Icaza's work but I absolutely can't stand his thoughts on matters. I think Icaza will fit right in with the rest of the apathetic Mac hipster crowd. I was also sick of hearing him whine about package managers and fragmentation. What all that hot air amounts to is this --- http://xkcd.com/927/

Comment

Working...
                      X