Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
    It's my account.
    So that gives you the right to impersonate others though similar usernames?

Comment

intellivision and cthulhux - stop polluting the thread with offtopic and go there please.

intellivision and cthulhux - once again, *BSD is NOT Ubuntu alternative.
      It is not Linux, its BSD. Similar, stuff like Haiku or HURD is not Linux.
      It is not Libre software, its opensource software. Does it need explanation?
      It is not noob-userfriendly. xBSD is not Ubuntu ie all-preinstalled, two-button setup, top-bottom system. Similar, Debian (netinst) is also out of the scope, but Debian desktop CD is not.
      Deal with it.

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
      Well, you're wrong there.

So, why are you bullshitting?
      Netflix use windows technology to broadcast DRM-limited signal.
      Because windows is crap, they had to search for alternative.
      Linux is secure, but it is too risky for them to modify it totally and not risk need to publish changes - they dislike GPL.
      This is why they went with Linux-clone, that is "do what you want" licensed - ie BSD.
      But it ends where it starts, because they did not build on top of BSD - they ATE BSD, together with its bones.
      BSD had nothing against that. But I don't see Netflix leaving even bones, ie sketches, what they modified, to help BSD community.
      They simply took BSD, consumed it, thats it - left nothing back.
      If you call this "contribution" or "building upon", you are incorrect because I don't see what exactly they contributed or built upon.
      What is eated is gone.

Similar with Linux is set-top-boxes where FSF let them do that.

Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
      If you're ok with ubuntu, debian will be fine for you but you just have to adapt to gnome-shell.
      Debian-mint is a good alternative is you want something just a little easier to use.
      But I don't think you can skip the trying phase.
      Debian is a bit rough for a Ubuntu alternative.
      What already pointed out - "TANGLU" is good Ubuntu alternative, as in Debian formed in special way.

Linux Mint Debian is not good (yet), I know there was release yesterday.
      It is "wave release". Debian is rolling release.
      But the problem is about sync'ing them, LMDE packages are risk to mix with Debian ones due to this.
      This forces a requirement for LMDE to manage whole Debian tree on its own. And tree is huge. I also had to notice the hard way, that it was not complete.
      It is also still not fully completed configure-wise.

Right now I think the best 1:1 Ubuntu alternative based on packages, community, ripeness, method - is Magea.
      Last edited by brosis; 23 March 2013, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        intellivision and cthulhux - stop polluting the thread with offtopic and go there please.

intellivision and cthulhux - once again, *BSD is NOT Ubuntu alternative.
        It is not Linux, its BSD.
        It is not Libre software, its opensource software.
        It is not noob-userfriendly.
        Deal with it.
        Oh, so you were after a Libre OS?
        Well, in that case, Trisquel.

There, I hope that cleared it all up.

Comment

Oh, so you were after a Libre OS?
          Well, in that case, Trisquel.

There, I hope that cleared it all up.
          Yes, Trisquel is all-libre.
          But all others are welcome too as long its like Ubuntu (Ubuntu alternative) - GPL on core(or similar copyleft) and expanding + any other license to glue things.

Comment

But all others are welcome too as long its like Ubuntu (Ubuntu alternative) - GPL on core(or similar copyleft) and expanding + any other license to glue things.
            If you require non-free firmware (as I do) it is still possible to get them on Trisquel, though it requires a search, download, and manual install of the firmware in question, followed by a Custom Kernel.

Fedora keeps Free pretty well and also includes the most common non-free firmware so ppl can have the full experience. Debian Testing or Unstable both have the most packages made for it ever, and if you need non-free firmware it's a simple matter of opening the non-free repo and installing the firmware in question. (they even have a software-center available ;P

Other ones to consider.

Comment

openSUSE 12.3

It has a one click install for about everything.

Very suited for people new to Linux too.

Comment

For the most part it is just a matter of playing with various distros and picking which ones are best for you. If you want my advice, I use a mix of Fedora and Arch, but if you want to replace Ubuntu my suggestions would be Fedora, OpenSUSE, or Mageia. Arch is definitely not for the light of heart and it is a disservice to it to suggest that it should be anyone's first port of call. You need a good understanding of what does what on your system to truly use it, and that is out of the scope that is being asked here.

Comment

And that's what PC-BSD is, a complete OS that is an Ubuntu alternative.

Even Distrowatch thinks highly of it, as seen here: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...130107#feature

However, if you want a consumer friendly OS that uses the Linux kernel as opposed to any other kernel, there is always Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu, which aren't really sponsored by Canonical except for the build system.
                  There's no Linux alternative in the BSD world. Distrowatch is meaningless, I can imagine some bsd fanboys clicking entire days to put their lovely OS higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    There's no Linux alternative in the BSD world. Distrowatch is meaningless, I can imagine some bsd fanboys clicking entire days to put their lovely OS higher.
                    This isn't thread about BSD, if you want one you can easily open "Suggest best BSD-based noob distro". (Yes, I understand that BSD does not like to face the word "distro", but judged by amount of systems, they are ripe for that term)

Comment

Well, then, I suggest OpenSUSE or one of the *buntu forks such as Xubuntu.
                      It would have been easier if you had put the full criteria you were looking for up in the first place though.

Distrowatch is meaningless
                      So you think the ranking system is meaningless, or the reviews, or the database, or all of the above?
                      Because personally, I think that it's great to have a catalog of all the *nix(-like) distributions out there, and that they do bother to review them on a weekly basis.

Comment

Working...
                      X