Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Title.

The distribution should be "consumer" friendly, in installation and in service; and have some sort of "market place" (ie GUI frontend to big local package repo, or application manager etc).

I have recently tried Unity and polished unity looks pretty good.

But with current Ubuntu policy of
    1) "we want to control everything", ie "Mir" case
    2) "we require CLA everywhere", ie can turn all into closed source
    sure people will search for alternative.

Please suggest and explain why(strong points, weak points).
    Either you are a religious zealot or you use consumer-friendly OS. Can't have it both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by TestingTe View Post
      Leaving out the fact that Netflix and Yahoo use FreeBSD for their servers and that Apple uses FreeBSD coding in their kernel, aye?

Have a good day sir xD
      Nothing special. Apple is not using freebsd kernel while Netflix is using freebsd without a reason. Thread is about Ubuntu/Linux alternative, so bsd doesn't match.

Comment

Leaving out the fact that Netflix and Yahoo use FreeBSD for their servers and that Apple uses FreeBSD coding in their kernel, aye?
        You can't be serious offering an OS, that completely does not protect its freedom.
        BSD is good at nothing thanks to that. For Desktop - Mac outperforms BSD, for servers thats - commercial proprietary solutions. All based on BSD.

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
        Either you are a religious zealot or you use consumer-friendly OS. Can't have it both ways.
        Lets see - I have it both ways.
        While you are only capable at trolling.
        Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          Nothing special. Apple is not using freebsd kernel while Netflix is using freebsd without a reason. Thread is about Ubuntu/Linux alternative, so bsd doesn't match.
          Netflix is using FreeBSD to host their servers and stream their content... how is that not a reason? Also, I know several guys that have moved from sommat like Ubuntu to PC-BSD and continue to live quite the happy lives. Plus if you look at my original comment, the first thing I suggest is Trisquel GNU/Linux.

You can't be serious offering an OS, that completely does not protect its freedom.
          BSD is good at nothing thanks to that. For Desktop - Mac outperforms BSD, for servers thats - commercial proprietary solutions. All based on BSD.
          Aaaand you've completely missed the point. I was merely stating that FreeBSD is so well liked that big industries use it (though of course, many try to hide it). Granted it doesn't force you to keep open like the GPL does (though that doesn't stop the violations) but there is still sommat special about it, else such big names wouldn't even bother with it.

Originally posted by cthuiux View Post
          Pawlerson, brosis, good work and thanks.
          couldn't come up with a comeback of your own, eh? xD

Originally posted by cthuiux View Post
          Get The ****Out and take your ******* ********Daemon BSD with you ******
          Y'know.... only a troll swears that much... 'tis a sign of defeat.

Comment

Netflix is using FreeBSD to host their servers and stream their content... how is that not a reason? Also, I know several guys that have moved from sommat like Ubuntu to PC-BSD and continue to live quite the happy lives. Plus if you look at my original comment, the first thing I suggest is Trisquel GNU/Linux.
            I feel sorry for these guys.

Trisquel is fine, until one gets some sort of a device, that does not work yet without proprietary blob.
            Its a fine project to invest money though!

Aaaand you've completely missed the point. I was merely stating that FreeBSD is so well liked that big industries use it (though of course, many try to hide it). Granted it doesn't force you to keep open like the GPL does (though that doesn't stop the violations) but there is still sommat special about it, else such big names wouldn't even bother with it.
            Listen, I was asking for Ubuntu alternative. I wasn't asking for parts bin to assemble own proprietary OS.
            I have no problems with you use BSD, but xBSD is not alternative, its completely different thing.

I am no supporter of big dirty industries, they are huge, but their essence is puny. Size is not a measure of nobility.

Comment

Listen, I was asking for Ubuntu alternative. I wasn't asking for parts bin to assemble own proprietary OS.
              And that's what PC-BSD is, a complete OS that is an Ubuntu alternative.

Even Distrowatch thinks highly of it, as seen here: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...130107#feature

However, if you want a consumer friendly OS that uses the Linux kernel as opposed to any other kernel, there is always Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu, which aren't really sponsored by Canonical except for the build system.

Comment

Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
                Why you and bullshitting, Netflix uses Linux for thier servers. All big companies who haven't gone out of business use Linux not BitchesSuckingDicks on their servers cause their not mentally retarded morons.
                Well, you're wrong there.

So, why are you bullshitting?

Comment

Wrong, PC-BSD is nothing more then beautified parts build a proprietary OS.

Just as I said, it's like putting make up on a girl and dressing her up in fancy clothes before brutally disecting her and using the body parts to make a scarecrow or frankenstien.

And it's what the PCBSD project in collaboration with Apple does.

For FreeBSD, it's desecting a naked woman.
                  A citation of PC-BSD's direct collaboration with Apple, if you please.

Oh, and a reason of why you are trying to impersonate Cthulhux's username while you're at it.

Comment

You're the one bullshitting:
                    http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?host=....com&x=17&y=19

1. movies.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
                    2. dvd.netflix.com - citrix netscaler (proprietary, so BSD base? Oh Wait! BSD license, thus not BSD anymore)
                    3. www.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
                    4. netflix.com - citrix netscaler (proprietary, so BSD base? Oh Wait! BSD license, thus not BSD anymore)
                    5. signup.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
                    6. account.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
                    7. movies1.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
                    8. movies2.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
                    9. contactus.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
                    10.support.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)

This is getting ridiculous.
                    So their web servers run on Linux and Cisco's proprietary in house web deployment platform. Thank you for clarifying that, although they do use FreeBSD for content distribution.

And stop dodging the question about why you are trying to impersonate Cthulhux's username, it's getting ridiculous

Comment

debian is for you

If you're ok with ubuntu, debian will be fine for you but you just have to adapt to gnome-shell.
                      Debian-mint is a good alternative is you want something just a little easier to use.
                      But I don't think you can skip the trying phase.

@cthulu:
                      Before everyone suggest PCBSD, lets be real:

--------------------------
                      PCBSD is not an alternative to Ubuntu.

PCBSD is an alternative to the shit which comes out of your anus when you sit on the toilet.
                      --------------------------
                      Anyone who suggest PCBSD should kill themselfs NOW
                      ha cthulu you've got a real nice name, but you're not able to give one alternative to ubuntu: but it was easy => debian is a good one.
                      You can promote bsd if you want but it's just not the right topic, I believe you are struggling with something but I encourage you to read the first post then read yours and I hope you understand your mistake : bsd is not linux. Even if you're frustrated because pcbsd did something very ugly to you in the past you've got to move on and direct you anger to people talking about bsd not the one talking about something totally different. But if you want to kee going in that direction, perhaps you can go to the microsoft or apple forum I'm sure it will be more funny. You remind me of poor people agressing poor people when they just have to walk to the next neighboorg to find people with a lot of money, it's just stupid. Osx feet you prefectly as it's a distant relative of bsd. I suggest you to begin with tony mac something site and wait a month or two to get back to phoronix (and as a bonus if you're not here you can"t be banned, so all is fine for everybody). Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X