• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TestingTe
    replied
    Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Yes, Trisquel is all-libre.
    But all others are welcome too as long its like Ubuntu (Ubuntu alternative) - GPL on core(or similar copyleft) and expanding + any other license to glue things.
    If you require non-free firmware (as I do) it is still possible to get them on Trisquel, though it requires a search, download, and manual install of the firmware in question, followed by a Custom Kernel.

Fedora keeps Free pretty well and also includes the most common non-free firmware so ppl can have the full experience. Debian Testing or Unstable both have the most packages made for it ever, and if you need non-free firmware it's a simple matter of opening the non-free repo and installing the firmware in question. (they even have a software-center available ;P

Other ones to consider.

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    Oh, so you were after a Libre OS?
    Well, in that case, Trisquel.

There, I hope that cleared it all up.
    Yes, Trisquel is all-libre.
    But all others are welcome too as long its like Ubuntu (Ubuntu alternative) - GPL on core(or similar copyleft) and expanding + any other license to glue things.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    intellivision and cthulhux - stop polluting the thread with offtopic and go there please.

intellivision and cthulhux - once again, *BSD is NOT Ubuntu alternative.
    It is not Linux, its BSD.
    It is not Libre software, its opensource software.
    It is not noob-userfriendly.
    Deal with it.
    Oh, so you were after a Libre OS?
    Well, in that case, Trisquel.

There, I hope that cleared it all up.

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    intellivision and cthulhux - stop polluting the thread with offtopic and go there please.

intellivision and cthulhux - once again, *BSD is NOT Ubuntu alternative.
    It is not Linux, its BSD. Similar, stuff like Haiku or HURD is not Linux.
    It is not Libre software, its opensource software. Does it need explanation?
    It is not noob-userfriendly. xBSD is not Ubuntu ie all-preinstalled, two-button setup, top-bottom system. Similar, Debian (netinst) is also out of the scope, but Debian desktop CD is not.
    Deal with it.

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    Well, you're wrong there.

So, why are you bullshitting?
    Netflix use windows technology to broadcast DRM-limited signal.
    Because windows is crap, they had to search for alternative.
    Linux is secure, but it is too risky for them to modify it totally and not risk need to publish changes - they dislike GPL.
    This is why they went with Linux-clone, that is "do what you want" licensed - ie BSD.
    But it ends where it starts, because they did not build on top of BSD - they ATE BSD, together with its bones.
    BSD had nothing against that. But I don't see Netflix leaving even bones, ie sketches, what they modified, to help BSD community.
    They simply took BSD, consumed it, thats it - left nothing back.
    If you call this "contribution" or "building upon", you are incorrect because I don't see what exactly they contributed or built upon.
    What is eated is gone.

Similar with Linux is set-top-boxes where FSF let them do that.

Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
    If you're ok with ubuntu, debian will be fine for you but you just have to adapt to gnome-shell.
    Debian-mint is a good alternative is you want something just a little easier to use.
    But I don't think you can skip the trying phase.
    Debian is a bit rough for a Ubuntu alternative.
    What already pointed out - "TANGLU" is good Ubuntu alternative, as in Debian formed in special way.

Linux Mint Debian is not good (yet), I know there was release yesterday.
    It is "wave release". Debian is rolling release.
    But the problem is about sync'ing them, LMDE packages are risk to mix with Debian ones due to this.
    This forces a requirement for LMDE to manage whole Debian tree on its own. And tree is huge. I also had to notice the hard way, that it was not complete.
    It is also still not fully completed configure-wise.

Right now I think the best 1:1 Ubuntu alternative based on packages, community, ripeness, method - is Magea.
    Last edited by brosis; 23 March 2013, 03:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
    It's my account.
    So that gives you the right to impersonate others though similar usernames?

Leave a comment:

• rafirafi
    replied
    debian is for you

If you're ok with ubuntu, debian will be fine for you but you just have to adapt to gnome-shell.
    Debian-mint is a good alternative is you want something just a little easier to use.
    But I don't think you can skip the trying phase.

@cthulu:
    Before everyone suggest PCBSD, lets be real:

--------------------------
    PCBSD is not an alternative to Ubuntu.

PCBSD is an alternative to the shit which comes out of your anus when you sit on the toilet.
    --------------------------
    Anyone who suggest PCBSD should kill themselfs NOW
    ha cthulu you've got a real nice name, but you're not able to give one alternative to ubuntu: but it was easy => debian is a good one.
    You can promote bsd if you want but it's just not the right topic, I believe you are struggling with something but I encourage you to read the first post then read yours and I hope you understand your mistake : bsd is not linux. Even if you're frustrated because pcbsd did something very ugly to you in the past you've got to move on and direct you anger to people talking about bsd not the one talking about something totally different. But if you want to kee going in that direction, perhaps you can go to the microsoft or apple forum I'm sure it will be more funny. You remind me of poor people agressing poor people when they just have to walk to the next neighboorg to find people with a lot of money, it's just stupid. Osx feet you prefectly as it's a distant relative of bsd. I suggest you to begin with tony mac something site and wait a month or two to get back to phoronix (and as a bonus if you're not here you can"t be banned, so all is fine for everybody). Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    You're the one bullshitting:
    http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?host=....com&x=17&y=19

1. movies.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    2. dvd.netflix.com - citrix netscaler (proprietary, so BSD base? Oh Wait! BSD license, thus not BSD anymore)
    3. www.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    4. netflix.com - citrix netscaler (proprietary, so BSD base? Oh Wait! BSD license, thus not BSD anymore)
    5. signup.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    6. account.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    7. movies1.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    8. movies2.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    9. contactus.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    10.support.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)

This is getting ridiculous.
    So their web servers run on Linux and Cisco's proprietary in house web deployment platform. Thank you for clarifying that, although they do use FreeBSD for content distribution.

And stop dodging the question about why you are trying to impersonate Cthulhux's username, it's getting ridiculous

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Wrong, PC-BSD is nothing more then beautified parts build a proprietary OS.

Just as I said, it's like putting make up on a girl and dressing her up in fancy clothes before brutally disecting her and using the body parts to make a scarecrow or frankenstien.

And it's what the PCBSD project in collaboration with Apple does.

For FreeBSD, it's desecting a naked woman.
    A citation of PC-BSD's direct collaboration with Apple, if you please.

Oh, and a reason of why you are trying to impersonate Cthulhux's username while you're at it.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Why you and bullshitting, Netflix uses Linux for thier servers. All big companies who haven't gone out of business use Linux not BitchesSuckingDicks on their servers cause their not mentally retarded morons.
    Well, you're wrong there.

So, why are you bullshitting?

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Listen, I was asking for Ubuntu alternative. I wasn't asking for parts bin to assemble own proprietary OS.
    And that's what PC-BSD is, a complete OS that is an Ubuntu alternative.

Even Distrowatch thinks highly of it, as seen here: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...130107#feature

However, if you want a consumer friendly OS that uses the Linux kernel as opposed to any other kernel, there is always Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu, which aren't really sponsored by Canonical except for the build system.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X