Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StephanG
    replied
    I really wish people would stop reading so much into it when Linus switches DE's. I switch DE's all the time.

It doesn't mean that he thinks the DE he's switching to is better, or prefers it. Sometimes, we just want to see what other DE's are doing. And, since he cares about Linux(it's his baby), he probably just feels as though he owes it to try out the big ones every now and then. And, you'll notice that he'll never say anything particularly nice about any DE because that would be showing favouritism.

So everyone, relax. It doesn't really mean... well, anything. We all like to switch to the other DE's every now and then to see what's going on in that world. It doesn't mean he hates the other DE's, it doesn't mean that he loves the new DE. He's a developer. They're genetically programmed to test-drive different kinds of software.

Leave a comment:

• varikonniemi
    replied
    Linus made Linux because unix was too expensive. Linus made GIT because others did not work well enough.

Maybe this total lack of direction in the Linux desktop world is of benefit to us all, since i can see Linus in the near future saying fuck it, taking a couple months off from kernel works and cooking up a desktop environment to rule them all

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Can you reshare that link ten times more? It is all you got left.
    I would share thoughts by other full-time GTK3 developers, but there are none.

Anyway, if you prefer GNOME, use it, no problem, just stop your psycho obsession with preventing people from running free software by destroying everything that you are not using. I promise that we won't tell you what you're missing, and that way you'll be happier in 3 years when you finally get the same functionality.

Leave a comment:

• funkSTAR
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    You people are still taking funky's trolling seriously? Lol.

http://blogs.gnome.org/otte/2012/07/...nto-the-abyss/
    Can you reshare that link ten times more? It is all you got left. Linus couldnt stand KDE because it is shit. And Otte? Also on gnome. KDE is dead. Hah.

Leave a comment:

• ElderSnake
    replied
    I can only assume KDE raped funkSTAR's mother and/or dog, such is the unjustified hatred of what is just another choice of desktop in the FOSS landscape.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yeah he is not satisfied -yet. Still he prefers GNOME. Which means the alternatives are more SHITTY. LOL!!! So a true story of life: If you are a cool hacker you use GNOME. Because GNOME is the most extendable desktop outthere. PERIOD!!!! Only scriptkiddies, retards and mums use badly done Windows replicas.

Be cool, be GNOME!
    Or perhaps, if you're a stupid fanboy or masochist. Unity and KDE are far better than gnome. After reading such bullshit I'm glad Ubuntu will have their own SDK, so developers will focus on it and abandon gnome.

Leave a comment:

• grotgrot
    replied
    Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    What part of "ve know vhat you vant, and you vill do it like we tell you to do it" did you not understand as being a problem?"
    I actually appreciate that. I don't really need a choice of 17 system monitors - I just need one that works well. The same principle applies across the whole desktop - pick things and pick them well. Of course I'll be up in arms the moment they remove something I use (eg focus follows mouse).

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    You people are still taking funky's trolling seriously? Lol.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Here we go again....

What is so wrong with KDE I cannot get. If you don't like Gnome then use KDE and be done with it. Highly customizable and a bit slower than gnome I admit but the Ubuntu implementation in 12.04 seems to be pretty solid.

Let the flame war begin!

Slower?! Lol my ass is slower. Even on old hardware KDE 4.10 is way more responsive than any GTK3 based desktop like Cinnamon or Gnome 3.
    I have a rather old laptop from 2006 with AMD Dual-Core 1.8 Ghz CPU, 2 GB RAM and a GeForce 6150 Go running Arch Linux 64 Bit. With Cinnamon or Gnome 3 it takes about 500 ms for the damn calender to pop out when I click the panel. With KDE everything just reacts instantly and looks even more fancy with all of its transparent effects. Qt just seems to be a way better toolkit.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Because GNOME is the most extendable desktop outthere. PERIOD!!!!
    So I am sure you can list some extensions that are possible in GNOME but could not be implemented in Plasma

Leave a comment:

Working...
X