X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of openbsd backdoor

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...295cc212e6bc32
    It is obvious that there is range check missing for user sent data.
    This bug is present because developers
    1. inserted security hole intentionally
    2. are retards

A kernel developer who can submit kernel fix or module shall be good enough to avoid this pre-school level traps/bombs.

So the only problem is who he is and for whom he is working? Phoronix has an issue tracing back tool?

It is just slightly better than openbsd that it does not take 10 years to be discovered.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      I was just going to say that C has got to be the worst language imaginable.
      that's why it is dominating the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
        they should port the whole kernel to C#/.NET. There you got a nice garbage collector and don't have to worry about strange things like pointers and a buffer/memoryoverflow get's a nice exception.

ok, but seriously...someone should implement a background garbage collector and some meta-error handling in C and C++. That'd get rid of those 'security holes' instantely.
        C++ also support exceptions

GCC also can check array access, but not for C
        -fbounds-check
        For front ends that support it, generate additional code to check that indices used to access arrays are within the declared range. This is currently only supported by the Java and Fortran front ends, where this option defaults to true and false respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by nullone View Post
          A kernel developer who can submit kernel fix or module shall be good enough to avoid this pre-school level traps/bombs.

So the only problem is who he is and for whom he is working? Phoronix has an issue tracing back tool?

It is just slightly better than openbsd that it does not take 10 years to be discovered.
          David S. Miller is Red Hat employee

Comment

Well, I'm glad I'm using debian testing, which is so ancient that it is still on 3.2 kernel..
            Yeah, I bet all of you are jealous of me now..

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
              they should port the whole kernel to C#/.NET. There you got a nice garbage collector and don't have to worry about strange things like pointers and a buffer/memoryoverflow get's a nice exception.

ok, but seriously...someone should implement a background garbage collector and some meta-error handling in C and C++. That'd get rid of those 'security holes' instantely.
              Actually doing that is a rather interesting way to do a microkernel and there's this project http://www.mosa-project.org/ and Microsoft Midori doing a managed microkernel in C#. I'll definitely be interested to see if either of those actually goes anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Mapplesoft, mipple, just different sides of the same shitty coin.
                Lol... really funny.

C isn't a bad lang, it's just trap central for bad programming.

Comment

1: If you're on Debian Wheezy or Ubuntu 12.04, you're still affected.
                  The commit introducing this is actually from just before 3.2.
                  2: The patch was committed by a Red Hat employee, but was written by a Parallels employee.
                  Code:
                  sock_diag: Initial skeleton
                  author	Pavel Emelyanov <[email protected]>	
                  	Tue, 6 Dec 2011 07:58:03 +0000 (07:58 +0000)
                  committer	David S. Miller <[email protected]>	
                  	Tue, 6 Dec 2011 18:58:01 +0000 (13:58 -0500)
                  commit	d366477a52f1df29fa066ffb18e4e6101ee2ad04
                  tree	267a65f626108423f73ef6dc0040b3b3171f7b45	tree | snapshot
                  parent	f13c95f0e255e6d21762259875295cc212e6bc32	commit | diff
                  Now I'm off to build a new kernel for my Squeeze system.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                    David S. Miller is Red Hat employee
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_S._Miller
                    A CIA agent for sure. Linus should really investigate kernel contributors before letting them submit code, because who knows how many CIA agents and/or M$ employees are willing to introduce backdoors in Linux ?

Comment

Apparently, with SELinux enabled on Fedora 18, the exploit code failed to run.

Comment

Working...
                      X