The Passing Of An Open-Source GPU Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JiE3D View Post
    I read Phoronix since a long time, but this time is too pathetic to ignore. You are making an article about a fellow developer who unfortunalty passed away, and the very first sentence is about how we learned exciting informations (sic!), pointing not, to one, two or three, but four of your own articles. Long time Phoronix readers are already aware that you'll use any means to get as much hit as possible on any article regardless or their content, wich in majority is extremely poor for someone that call himself "journalist", but doing it in such a nasty way, without at least having the decency to focus on Oliver McFadden with the very first lines, and without feeling the need to throw us a puke of references to your own blog articles. Even the title stinks, make it sounds like you're going to tell us a tale.

And you couldnt even end with a word of support for its relatives, you know, at least by courtesy.

You are a despicable person.
    I sort of agree. There is no need to make a capital on the back of someone who died.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
      I sort of agree. There is no need to make a capital on the back of someone who died.
      If you were Michael, would you do it if you would gain a few $/??

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
        There is no need to make a capital on the back of someone who died.
        Newspaper do everyday with obituaries and most people don't criticise that. As a matter of fact there is a whole business around dead people.
        Last edited by zwastik; 05 February 2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Have Some Decency

Gentleman,

Have some decency. Why are we having a petty argument over the tone and structure of the article? We lost an amazing programmer and individual. He has done many things to help open source 3D drivers and even applications.

Quit your bickering and show some respect. His contributions to the community will certainly be missed as will Oliver.

I get tired of the non-stop bickering about article styling especially in a case like this. Suck it up and show some respect!

Daniel

Comment

My condolences to Oliver's family.

Comment

The sensitive and getting the sensitive going. Interesting place this.

Comment

Totally agree!

I read Phoronix since a long time, but this time is too pathetic to ignore. You are making an article about a fellow developer who unfortunalty passed away, and the very first sentence is about how we learned exciting informations (sic!), pointing not, to one, two or three, but four of your own articles. Long time Phoronix readers are already aware that you'll use any means to get as much hit as possible on any article regardless or their content, wich in majority is extremely poor for someone that call himself "journalist", but doing it in such a nasty way, without at least having the decency to focus on Oliver McFadden with the very first lines, and without feeling the need to throw us a puke of references to your own blog articles. Even the title stinks, make it sounds like you're going to tell us a tale.

And you couldnt even end with a word of support for its relatives, you know, at least by courtesy.

Michael is just a reptilious, cold-blooded capitalist who would never ever do something if he were not to gain at least some dollars!

Comment

Originally posted by dlpullen View Post
                  Quit your bickering and show some respect. His contributions to the community will certainly be missed as will Oliver.
                  Yes. You are right. I feel ashamed for having contributed to the bickering.

Comment

FWIW. I noticed the exact same thing. I rolled my eyes. It was an unnecessary segway, but typical Phoronix. It's fine to point out related articles, but doing so at the end of the story would be more tasteful. This applies to all Phoronix stories, not just obituaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                      If you were Michael, would you do it if you would gain a few $/??
                      No. I do happen to run a site which is not based on greed or making money.

Originally posted by zwastik View Post
                      Newspaper do everyday with obituaries and most people don't criticise that. As a matter of fact there is a whole business around dead people.
                      Newspapers get _paid_ to post obituaries. I.e. the relatives of someone who died willingly _pay_ the newspaper to inform people of the beloved's death. What Phoronix has done here is, on the one hand, play the considerate "let's all send our condolences" role, and on the other hand, massive typical selfbuttlicking which is, as was pointed here out, not even completely related.

Originally posted by dlpullen View Post
                      Have some decency. Why are we having a petty argument over the tone and structure of the article?

Quit your bickering and show some respect.
                      The point of the (completely justified) criticism is that this article displays no decency in itself. I don't feel the need to show any respect to an _article_ which is a complete farce and an abomination of what it pretends to be.

Sorry if this offends you but I'll say it bluntly. Phoronix doesn't care the least about some dead programmer, it only cares about itself and making money. And that's the real shame and why I won't "suck it up".

Comment

Working...
                      X