Nokia is dying (thanks to microsoft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Let me tell you who is knocking it. European telco/carrier executives in an unprecedented move called for Nokia to ditch that unwanted Microsoft platform in favor of Android. Do you think that these executives spent no more than 3 minutes with Windows Phone? After all the many millions that Nokia paid to them for unsuccessfully promoting Lumias?

Windows Mobile had 12% smartphone market share at some point. It had a large enterprise user base. Microsoft killed it off and replaced with something far less capable (can Windows Phone do VPN already?), and it brought them to the 3% market share they are still holding today.
    In many respects, Windows Mobile was better and more successful than Windows Phone is today.

I don't know anybody who installed Metro, but the interface is a matter of taste and to each his own. Technologically WP8 is way behind iOS and Android. New developments and innovations in mobile typically come to Windows Phone last. Nokia tried to push things forward (PureView etc.) but ultimately fell short.
    In the same article you linked to, AT&T and T-mobile claimed, near the end of the story, that they saw very strong demand for Nokia and the then Windows Phone 7 handsets to the point that they actually ran out of stock. Why this was not repeated in other parts of the world is really anyone's guess but in my country there is a slow but growing interest in Windows Phone 8 now that the full gamut of cheap (Lumia 520) to flagship (Lumia 920, Samsung Ativ, HTC 8s) have been released.

From this it is my interpretation that WP8 is capable enough to be sold on its own merits at this point of time, but being this late in delivering a consumer-grade mobile phone operating system to go against Android and iOS means that MS simply has to settle for that distand 3rd place spot in the market.

Comment

The "out of stock" stories we keep on hearing, but you never find actual sales numbers attached to them. So if you had only 1 Lumia per AT&T store, then of course some will run out of stock.

The interest only picked up measurably when Nokia introduced the cheap models.

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      MS simply has to settle for that distand 3rd place spot in the market.
      Even that is a long shot. Samsung Bada constantly beat Windows Phone when it was still actively developed. Tizen is in much better position to reach 3rd place by the end of the year.

Comment

Spoken by someone who have never actually used Visual Studio to write or compile anything for Windows and Windows Phone 8.
        Actually, spoken by someone who has EXTENSIVE experience developing for multiple platforms, mobile or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          The "out of stock" stories we keep on hearing, but you never find actual sales numbers attached to them. So if you had only 1 Lumia per AT&T store, then of course some will run out of stock.

The interest only picked up measurably when Nokia introduced the cheap models.

Even that is a long shot. Samsung Bada constantly beat Windows Phone when it was still actively developed. Tizen is in much better position to reach 3rd place by the end of the year.
          Freaking RIM has a better chance of 3rd place than wincrap.

Comment

Remember guys, stop writing drivers and providing documentation for Linux. Teach unappreciative jerks who don't know what it means to develop for money a lesson.
            Two can play the game.
            Yes, punish a freedom platform under 1% of marketshare on desktop thanks to microsoft monopoly on preinstallation since msdos and monopoly on technology, proposing as windows-only stardards (DX,JPGXR, Silverlight,Mono,WMV,Docx) as well as calling Linux cancer and pushing Palladium and now Secureboot down the consumer throat, just because it wants it.

Yes, microsoft and people you deserve to be beaten hard!

I pay money to open and freedom software developers and I don? t pay money for proprietary developer who employ DRM that lock me everywhere! I am always fair and always pay for developer work!

And Nokia has posted a profit for Q4 2012 after Windows Phone 8 was released.
            Zombie lives? I don?t care. Nokia engineers are already fired, Qt went thorough a hell of changes to survive.

Now go and repeat the history of Daniel Robbins instead of bullshiting people!

Comment

Originally posted by crapI3SD
              The moral of the story here is being proprietary whores (like BSD and Minix) and joining forces with proprietary companies against Free and open source (like Nokia) will always end with failure and will only benefit FLOSS.
              Call me crazy, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this benefits FLOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                Call me crazy, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this benefits FLOSS.
                What he is trying to say is that corporations and organizations that align themselves with closed / proprietary software always end up perishing, and FOSS benefits because there are lesser such corporations to hinder it from advancing.

Make out of it what you will.

*Just for the record, I'm not buying it one bit. But then again it's also open knowledge that I am generally pro-Microsoft and pro-proprietary, so I'm not the best person to get an unbiased opinion from.
                Last edited by Sonadow; 13 April 2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crapI3SD
                  Guys guys,

The moral of the story here is being proprietary whores (like BSD and Minix) and joining forces with proprietary companies against Free and open source (like Nokia) will always end with failure and will only benefit FLOSS.

We must heed these calamities and not follow the losers who cause it to happen to themselves (BSD and Nokia). That's why Linux is here. It is the best choice no matter the situation and therefore, everyone who is sane will use it.

Go Linux
                  Maemo was Linux-based. I think only UI was proprietary. So, MS called it "crap" and used that excuse to kill it. But you can?t really kill opensource project, since its about interest, not money, so its still developed under different name. There wasn?t anything *BSD involved...

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Nokia is dying (thanks to microsoft)
                    No. Nokia is dying thanks to Nokia. And unless you had stocks at the time they dropped like bricks, there's no reason to even give a flying f***k about it.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      I live in the country Nokia is from and I've been following the development of the company somewhat for the last few years.

All I can say is, Elop is either a clever plant, or a colossally incompetent moron. The sheer stupidity of his decisions is so absurd, it's hard to believe that someone that incompetent could be in that line of work, which makes the first option quite likely and many here are of the opinion that he was deliberately planted in Nokia to bring it down.
                      As someone who worked for Nokia (in Helsinki) on OSSO/ITOS/Maemo/MeeGo for 2.5 years, and then as a contractor for another 2 years, I don't think you could be more wrong. When they made the Windows Phone, Nokia's properties were Series 30/40 (great, profitable, but extremely low margins on extremely high volumes), Series 60 (unsustainable disaster, technically horrific OS with an unusable UI and a worse development and cross-device deployment story than Android ever had), and MeeGo (shipped everything years late, unsustainably huge, organisationally broken). Choosing S60 or MeeGo would've bankrupted the company very quickly. Choosing Android would've put them in a volume game against Samsung, HTC, and every east Asian ODM/OEM.

There was no good decision to make; that the company is in such dire straits (and to be honest, I'm surprised it's not worse) is a reflection of the company between 2006-2010, rather than anything in the Elop era.

At least in the UK, Nokia's marketing has been successful enough that (despite the still rather low marketshare), people tend to refer to Windows Phone devices generically as 'Lumias'. There's definitely still an identity there for them, though whether they can ever rise again, I don't know.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=NOK&...=14&f=2013&g=m tells you about all you need to know about Nokia: two years before Elop, the market had already decided the company more or less had no future. And it had a point.
                      Last edited by daniels; 14 April 2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X