Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Users Are Saying About GNOME In 2012 (Part 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detructor
    replied
    must resist not replying to the stupid troll

Leave a comment:

• newwen
    replied
    My biggest problem with Gnome 3 is not Gnome Shell, which I find better than Unity (even tough I'd wish I had not to install extensions to make it work).

What annoys me is that devs think that removing features is a feature, which is not, at least not for laptop and desktop computers with no input and screen limitations. They are going the same route Windows 8 has gone and this is disastrous for the linux desktop. I've alwas loved the elegance of gnome2, but this road of making gnome even dumber than windows 8 is simply silly.

They don't even care for backwards compatibility, which is bad for the linux desktop (read Miguel de Icaza's article about this)
    Last edited by newwen; 18 December 2012, 01:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 3coma3
    replied
    Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
    I hope no gnome dev will buy gasoline to make a bbq with himself.
    yeah and some GNOME fans cry too, as shown here

sad they can't just MAKE THA WHINEYS SHUT UP once and for all heh?

Leave a comment:

• rafirafi
    replied
    Please remove the article it makes gnome devs cry.

I hope no gnome dev will buy gasoline to make a bbq with himself.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    Originally posted by kigurai View Post
    Not sure if directed at me, or mayankleoboy1.
    I am talking about users in general. If there is one thing I remember from my Software Engineering classes, then it is that users (in general) have no clue about what they want. Asking them what they want can actually be destructive.
    It is of course a generalization, but it is worth to keep in mind.
    it was really directed at everybody

i was in sales for a while, and "people are sheep" was our moto for that time, sheep as in they will flock where they see other people flock (its true)
    if you deal with a person you know and you can tell him/her "that will be dumb" without them getting angry, then you can make a good whatever it is you'r makeing
    if you cant, you can only rely on common sense(your's and those around you)
    as i see the gnome3 devs didnt get much freedom(i dont know)
    (G. S. Patton: "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.")

actually i dont wanna get into this discussions, as theres too many variables and thus too many opinions
    what i can point out is GIMP as an example of doing the user_feedback/dev_freedom thing right

also i can put my personal opinion that is: its just the couple small things that bug me with gnome3, combined with the inability to change/affect them

edit: also that bugs me are people like misterpah that are narrow minded and just like insulting others
    Last edited by gens; 18 December 2012, 01:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• misterpah
    replied
    if you know some gnome3 haters (and they keep bitching about gnome3), ask them if they created a Desktop Environment yet.
    Linux Mint did it. They forked Gnome-shell and name it Cinnamon.
    You don't like it? Fine! Just fork the Gnome-shell and make your own "we-hate-gnome-shell" desktop environment , or "we-love-gnome-two" desktop environment.
    Heck, you can even make "Windows-xp-for-gnome-shell" desktop environment. YOU CAN DO IT!
    IT IS JUST A SHELL!
    Only by manipulating javascript , CSS (and some fancy language you don't use so much) , you can create an Euphoric Desktop Environment from the gnome-shell which will be adored generations to come.

we love gnome-shell. I love gnome-shell. I choose to love Gnome-shell.
    you love KDE ? sure! it's your love. It's your choice. It's not mine , its yours.

PS :
    You know, there are too much trolls these days. Thanks to place like 4chan & Reddit (both are great by the way), trolls can unite to spam surveys. They (4CHAN) made Kim Jong Un as the person of the year. For me, Gnome survey 2012 have 1000 respondent is a good thing. less "go kill yourself" comments means less troll and more accurate results.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
    Since in 1 year, GNOME hasnt change its policies and development plan, USERS that were unhappy the previous year and participated in the 2011 survey, are the same USERS that are unhappy and participating in the 2012 survey.
    so... only people that dont like gnome3 read phoronix ?
    or is it that only those people filled out the surveys ?
    may be but i dont know and i doubt you know, so we cant say, we can only speculate

these surveys are just to give you a vague direction, not so you can say anything for sure

Leave a comment:

• mayankleoboy1
    replied
    Originally posted by gens View Post
    please use "some users" or "most users" instead of "users", as presenting thousands of very much different people as one person is just idiotic
    (im pretty sure many of them are smarter then you and me)
    Since in 1 year, GNOME hasnt change its policies and development plan, USERS that were unhappy the previous year and participated in the 2011 survey, are the same USERS that are unhappy and participating in the 2012 survey.

Leave a comment:

• kigurai
    replied
    Originally posted by gens View Post
    please use "some users" or "most users" instead of "users", as presenting thousands of very much different people as one person is just idiotic
    Not sure if directed at me, or mayankleoboy1.
    I am talking about users in general. If there is one thing I remember from my Software Engineering classes, then it is that users (in general) have no clue about what they want. Asking them what they want can actually be destructive.
    It is of course a generalization, but it is worth to keep in mind.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X