Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Users Are Saying About GNOME In 2012 (Part 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Nautilus 3.6 was hated and forked before people even tried it.
    And if that is in fact the case then you don't see that as a fault of the direction of the Gnome project? Because thats exactly what it is and why the user base is falling apart like animals do before major disasters.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by ninez View Post
    some stuff
    Don't worry, Gnome 3 people have extremely low reading comprehension due to the "Reality Distortion Field" they stole from Steve Job's cold corpse that they then broke causing near complete deafness and blindness.

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Thanks for your heart warming insults and merry Christmas to you! Im no slow, but Im here to give you a hint. I wasnt commenting to you, i simply quoted you. And that was because I thought you wrote something important. "I hate this version and was about change it, but now I changed my mind."
    except that isn't what i said. Hate is a pretty strong. the new version threw me off a little, that is it.

Except for that the fact, they DID try it out, didn't like it and decided that it would be better for their users to keep some consistency and thus the older version. (hell, i still miss being able to navigate folder to folder to folder, by searching/typing in nautilus, which is super slow now). Not a game changer for me, but i can understand why some people prefer the old version.

Leave a comment:

• funkSTAR
    replied
    WTF are you talking about??? (note how i also mentioned that i use 3.6 - u slow, bro?)
    Thanks for your heart warming insults and merry Christmas to you! Im no slow, but Im here to give you a hint. I wasnt commenting to you, i simply quoted you. And that was because I thought you wrote something important. "I hate this version and was about change it, but now I changed my mind."

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    LOL. I highly doubt your story differs from the majority. It is so easy to fork, rant and hate in an unjust manner. When it comes to easy desktop file maanagement Nautilus 3.6 is so much more pleasant in day to day use.
    he said he didn't like the 3.6 version (and wished he could still use 3.4), i gave a recommendation for how to solve that problem. (you got a problem with that?)

WTF are you talking about??? (note how i also mentioned that i use 3.6 - u slow, bro?)

Best part; It is entirely possible to USE Nautilus 3.6 and PRETEND you hate it on the forums. Of course the hate is dying rather quickly by now. The "fork batshit bataillion" is going nowhere and Ubuntu moved on.
    Again, WTF are you talking about (?), i like nautilus just fine (since i am using it). nor did i make some accusion that it is unusable, dummy. (that was whom i was responding to :\ ) I made nothing more than a minor critique of the removal of the toolbar code (note: not menubar code)... which i only make because part of the styling of my local theme, used to use the toolbar quite nicely.

'the best part' is how silly you make yourself look by drawing conclusions that have no basis in reality, tard.

Plus, i do don't need to sit here and hate on gnome in the forums, if i don't like how something looks or works, i either A) use something else or B) modify it to my liking. For example, I am not a big fan of the upstream version of gnome-system-monitor - it does not match my theme and looks like crap. So instead, i have my own version;

Last edited by ninez; 23 December 2012, 01:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• funkSTAR
    replied
    You don't have to downgrade nautilus, their is a file manage called 'nemo' that is a fork of nautilus 3.4 (available in aur, forked by linux mint) ... I was going to switch, but i got used to the new version.
    LOL. I highly doubt your story differs from the majority. It is so easy to fork, rant and hate in an unjust manner. When it comes to easy desktop file maanagement Nautilus 3.6 is so much more pleasant in day to day use.

Best part; It is entirely possible to USE Nautilus 3.6 and PRETEND you hate it on the forums. Of course the hate is dying rather quickly by now. The "fork batshit bataillion" is going nowhere and Ubuntu moved on.

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by gururise View Post
    ....Several other features were either pulled or dumbed down in Nautilus. Since I use the Filemanager on a daily basis, I thought, no problem, I'll switch to a more advanced FM; however, thats not 100% possible, because Nautilus also draw the desktop, so clicking on any files on the desktop automatically launch Nautilus and not my new Filemanager.
    If 3.6 didn't dumb down nautilus to the point of unusability, didn't add the retarded slide lock, and didn't add the big, ugly and non-transluscent action bar at the bottom of the screen, then I'd probably still like Gnome-Shell. Unfortunately, I'm running Arch Linux and have already upgraded to 3.6 and cannot go back to 3.4[/QUOTE]

You don't have to downgrade nautilus, their is a file manage called 'nemo' that is a fork of nautilus 3.4 (available in aur, forked by linux mint) ... I was going to switch, but i got used to the new version. The only thing that is annoying is that the search function is as quick when doing searches in concession. everything seems to be okay, other than i kinda with it still had the regular toolbar...

and fyi (i don't know off-hand) but you can substitute the file-manager in Gnome (ie: have dolphin, marlin, etc open files). I think it is a setting somewhere in dconf-editor.

Leave a comment:

• gururise
    replied
    I actually like Gnome-Shell. I got used to it after 3.0 was released. It took a few weeks to change my work-flow, but I've been a Gnome user since 1.0. Having said that, the 3.6 release was the one that made me try KDE.. (I did come back to Gnome, but am seriously considering Cinnamon now).

All the Gnome-shell releases up to 3.4 were pretty nice in my opinion, with extensions taking over much of the perceived missing functionality; however, with 3.6, I coudln't figure out how to minimize Nautilus. It just sat there taking up the full screen. After searching, I learned that the minimize button was removed from nautilus. How stupid is that? Also, the sorting method was changed with no easy way of going back to the default sorting that I've been used to since Gnome 1.0. Several other features were either pulled or dumbed down in Nautilus. Since I use the Filemanager on a daily basis, I thought, no problem, I'll switch to a more advanced FM; however, thats not 100% possible, because Nautilus also draw the desktop, so clicking on any files on the desktop automatically launch Nautilus and not my new Filemanager.

Not to mention the stupid lock screen, where you are supposed to slide it up with a mouse to unlock. That might work in Android, or on my tablet where I've got a touch interface, but this is a desktop OS, and why the hell would I want to use a touch paradigm with a mouse?

If 3.6 didn't dumb down nautilus to the point of unusability, didn't add the retarded slide lock, and didn't add the big, ugly and non-transluscent action bar at the bottom of the screen, then I'd probably still like Gnome-Shell. Unfortunately, I'm running Arch Linux and have already upgraded to 3.6 and cannot go back to 3.4
    Last edited by gururise; 22 December 2012, 10:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by kigurai View Post
    Just relaying what seems to be the consensus of the software engineering world.
    Wrong, it's a grand experiment, that is failing miserably. The only reason we are going to be stuck with this new design is because the behemoth that is Windows is force feeding it to the world who will have no choice but to to accept it.

That the Gnome devs are following this trend is utterly moronic.

As the others have said, the Gnome user base has shattered considerably, I switched to Mint 13 from Ubuntu 11.10 running Gnome Fallback, XFCE, KDE4, LXDE and Unity because of having a real Gnome2 implementation in having a Mate only version, before that I saw no reason to ever use Mint but now it's all I use and all I recommend.

And as I've had to ask too many times already... Is everyone supposed to be an expert in every programming language just to use a computer? If so please go get a belt sander and some 40 grit paper and use it to wipe your ass.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by kigurai View Post
    I have yet to see someone provide numbers that the GNOME user base is decreasing. I would be very surprised to find that this is the case. Maybe unity (which I suppose can be considered not-GNOME) "stole" some users, but apart from the ranting on Phoronix people I meet seem generally pleased of GNOME3 after the initial "WTF? Stuff is different!"-phase.
    It seems you have missed the party. Gnome lost many of its users when gnome shell came out. Every poll I saw confirms my observations and there are statistics at archlinux page that I follow and they also confirm this. But hey, we're perfect (and have lost self-preservation instinct), why bother?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X