Richard Stallman Calls Ubuntu "Spyware"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Jono's site is down. Clearly the FUDing supporters of the FSF must be DDOSing him.

Google cache link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...d=ivns&strip=1
    Couldn't it just be that jono's site got a lot of trafic since sites like phoronix/slashdot linked at his blog?

Comment

Originally posted by Fazer View Post
      I can't stand his opinions, he is the reason people hate closed software and think their developers are evil. The world doesn't work like that. There are no good or evil people.
      He is also the reason why some people hate open source software. Most people don't give a shit what he says. All people are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by pairofslacks View Post
        Please don't devolve the debate into unnecessary character assasination because of this and other quirks.
        I don't have to, he does that on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
          He is also the reason why some people hate open source software. Most people don't give a shit what he says. All people are evil.
          Its good that they hate it. Evil people filter themselves outside.

Comment

I don't agree that Ubuntu ships Spyware since spyware is by definition intentionally malicious and Amazon has so far proven themselves to be not malicious (ie: they don't steal your CC info, blackmail you, or try to steal your identity). So it does not fit with the commonly accepted definition of spyware from a Windows user's perspective.
            I agree that Ubuntu ships Amazon Adware.
            I agree that Adware is stuff any sane person wouldn't want on their PC and would even pay to have removed.
            I agree that Canonical has the right to ship any adware they like in their Ubuntu distro and that's their choice. If people don't like it, then they should run something else.
            Last edited by Sidicas; 07 December 2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

im sure amazon is obliged to give out user data to the US government, if not others too, just like google is
              (actually as i understand US laws, everybody is; NSA and related laws)

also i think, and this all is my personal opinion from what i read/hear(official and not), that companies like amazon can sell user data to other companies as long as there is no specific data like names emails addresses and such

also, the guy called Stallman shortsighted
              i doubt thats anywhere near true

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                I don't agree that Ubuntu ships Spyware since spyware is by definition intentionally malicious and Amazon has so far proven themselves to be not malicious (ie: they don't steal your CC info, blackmail you, or try to steal your identity). So it does not fit with the commonly accepted definition of spyware.
                Your definition of Spyware is misguided. Spyware is simply software that reports back to an outside entity your actions without your explicit consent.

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Identity theft, blackmail, etc. doesn't play into it.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Couldn't it just be that jono's site got a lot of trafic since sites like phoronix/slashdot linked at his blog?
                  Don't ruin their circle jerk

Comment

Originally posted by Fazer View Post
                    I can't stand his opinions, he is the reason people hate closed software and think their developers are evil. The world doesn't work like that. There are no good or evil people.
                    You're free not to like his opinions however if not for extremes like RMS the software world would be closed and locked down tight. Yes we are slowly sinking into that abyss at the moment because $$$ always wins. RMS's worst predictions have a nasty way of coming true.

Ways to avoid bleak locked down "we don't own anything we own" futures...

1.) Don't feed the pig!!! Don't purchase things from corporations with questionable goals. M$,Crapple just spring to mind don't they?

2.) Install free operating systems and encourage others to do so. The more people running a Linux distro or 'BSD the better. Just reinforcing rule #1.

3.) Drink beer. Computer stuff seems less important drunk.

Comment

Ubuntu doesn't share or stores personal information. There are only some exceptions (their privacy policy) First claiming they don't store and share data, and then listing numerous exceptions. Of course that's not unusual nowadays. Privacy policies of corporations like Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple etc surely don't look considerable more privacy friendly.

third parties Ubuntu sends data to, not only includes Amazon, but also Facebook, Twitter and BBC (source).

Comment

Working...
                      X