What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

Phoronix: What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

If you plan to upgrade your Linux desktop hardware in the near future or will be shopping for new PC hardware this holiday season, here's a few words of advice on recommended components and manufacturers to go with for the best Linux hardware experience.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of the few Intel driver complaints is that they don't yet have any OpenCL stack for interacting with the modern Intel graphics cores in linux
    Just to clarify the situation a bit.

Comment

They need to know there's always Windows to save them from an open source trainwreck ;-)

Comment

Some motherboard vendors also have BIOS/UEFI issues under Linux, but those tend to be isolated to specific product models rather than being generic to a given vendor.
        now that would be a good addition to this article, a list of boards which don't allow to disable uefi via the bios and thus give problems

Comment

nice info, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
            now that would be a good addition to this article, a list of boards which don't allow to disable uefi via the bios and thus give problems
            Many Acer laptops for one.

Comment

There is a very Freedom Friendly shop I recommend not included on the list.

Comment

As far as using open-source drivers... If you are an open-source zealot
                Really? REALLY?

I mean, I can maybe understand some site like CNET labelling those demanding FLOSS as zealots, but HERE?

Way to make me feel alienated. Eff.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                  Really? REALLY?

I mean, I can maybe understand some site like CNET labelling those demanding FLOSS as zealots, but HERE?

A good note. Somehow I missed that. Should read more carefully.

It begins to be the time to enable addblock or whatever for this site.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                    Really? REALLY?

Alternative is proprietary slut.

I prefer the first choice.

This guy prefers the second one:

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    They need to know there's always Windows to save them from an open source trainwreck ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X