Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you should BOYCOTT Toshiba and its TVs

Hello my friends!

I am unlucky owner of Linux-powered 46" LCD TV by Toshiba. I have picked this TV for good reviews as well as funny fact that it runs GNU/Linux.

Recently, I had a problem with TV not being able to play home video in MPG format from my DV.
    I have tried all formats (thanks a lot, Openshoot developers!), but the TV failed.

After some research in internet, I found the solution to this - simply update the firmware.

The problem:
    However, the firmware is in microsoft windows .exe format. The contents should be several firmware binaries, which the program apparently moves to USB stick, which should be plugged into TV for autoupdate.

Toshiba support did not understand why I can't open it, nor they offered any way to provide the unpackaged or repackaged binaries.
    They refused to upload the files to filesharing sites and refused to send them via Email.

They claimed that the decision to package the blobs in .EXE was carried out by Toshiba programmers.

So, in Toshiba view, you need a Windows PC to update Linux-based TV, but just to extract the contents.

Isn't this the reason why Linux is not so popular on desktops? The manufacturers are FORCING users to use Windows. First Logitech, then ASUS and Gigabyte. Now Toshiba. If we don't fight against this, we will be forced to use Windows even to receive our wage.

Please DO NOT BUY TOSHIBA, Logitech, Gigabyte or Asus and please spread this message if you like. DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE.

If they all continue this dirty practices, we should start a class action against them!

What model of TV? All the firmware EXE's that are on toshiba site that I have ran across have been self extracting zip exe's that are easily extracted with 7zip in linux.

Comment

Or with "unzip"

Comment

tracing john.mccane's ip:

195.323.238.98 samsunghq.fortuie.akapi.net

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post

lol not quite.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post

I didn't know a single byte could hold more than 256.

Comment

I side with Toshiba

Originally posted by john.mccane View Post
              Hello my friends!

I am unlucky owner of Linux-powered 46" LCD TV by Toshiba. I have picked this TV for good reviews as well as funny fact that it runs GNU/Linux.

Recently, I had a problem with TV not being able to play home video in MPG format from my DV.
              I have tried all formats (thanks a lot, Openshoot developers!), but the TV failed.

After some research in internet, I found the solution to this - simply update the firmware.

The problem:
              However, the firmware is in microsoft windows .exe format. The contents should be several firmware binaries, which the program apparently moves to USB stick, which should be plugged into TV for autoupdate.

Toshiba support did not understand why I can't open it, nor they offered any way to provide the unpackaged or repackaged binaries.
              They refused to upload the files to filesharing sites and refused to send them via Email.

They claimed that the decision to package the blobs in .EXE was carried out by Toshiba programmers.

So, in Toshiba view, you need a Windows PC to update Linux-based TV, but just to extract the contents.

Isn't this the reason why Linux is not so popular on desktops? The manufacturers are FORCING users to use Windows. First Logitech, then ASUS and Gigabyte. Now Toshiba. If we don't fight against this, we will be forced to use Windows even to receive our wage.

Please DO NOT BUY TOSHIBA, Logitech, Gigabyte or Asus and please spread this message if you like. DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE.

If they all continue this dirty practices, we should start a class action against them!
              Of the customers who buy Toshiba Televisions, I would say that 90% or even 99% have a windows PC at home.
              Of the ones who may only have a Linux based PC, Would that be more than the percentage of LInux's share on the laptops or desktops? -- Linux has not made great inroads here yet.

So, where do you as Toshibba put your support dollars? Is it for a platform which 95+% of their clients have, or for the few who want a linux based solution.

That is their rationale.

Comment

I would recommend you to extract the firmware using 7zip in Linux.

After installing, just be sure to format the USB stick using fat16 and apply the COLD firmware update. This means powering off your TV, inserting stick and then pressing and holding MENU and POWER on the side panel of your TV.

Not every firmware is accepted when upgrading via HOT update, ie inserting stick in running system and acknowledging the upgrade...!

Maybe that was your original problem and files were actually extracted ok.

Please try that, thanks.

Comment

As a secondary note, TV firmware updates are transmitted OTA. http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/download_schedule.php shows the transmission schedule.

Comment

Toshiba also locks out AMD graphics driver packages from being installed on its Trinity-based laptops, although AMD is equally to blame for even giving them the option to do this.

Comment

Working...
                    X