A Linux User's Perspective Of Microsoft Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hefa View Post
    This person should be banned for rasist comments. I have no problem with different opinions on operating systems but that overly rasist monkey comment should not be tolerated at all.
    I second that! was going to ignore it, dont feed the trolls, but it was down right offensive.

Comment

The only thing that i want to try right now is to install native Linux Steam Client and the initial native Linux beta games L4D2, TF2 and maybe Portal and SS3

Comment

Originally posted by hefa View Post
        This person should be banned for rasist comments. I have no problem with different opinions on operating systems but that overly rasist monkey comment should not be tolerated at all.

Actually you are the one that is racist because you jumped to the conclusion that he/she/whatever is calling names to humans of darker skin with origin in Africa

There are indeed monkeys in Africa

....and you know that a monkey can be trained to push buttons in a keyboard and understand symbols in a screen , don't you ?

There is also that expression about a thousand monkeys with typewriters make a novel....

and in the end, ALL HUMANS , including you and me, are actually apes and not monkeys so he/she/whatever could not be referring to humans
        Last edited by AJSB; 29 October 2012, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
          I must say that in general windows does actually "just work" a lot more often than various Linux distros in my experience.. oh and that osx too.
          And I use a Linux desktop about 70% of my time. The other 30% are mostly Windows and I can't remember the last time I needed to "fix windows". Something I do monthly on Linux at the minimum. No thanks to stuff like systemd, dbus, pulseaudio, network manager and other horrible software ;-)
          Why do you call "stuff like" systemd, dbus, pulseaudio, network manager horrible software??!!

systemd is essentially a revolution in init system, the best init system around! You don't bitch about windows booting faster due to precaching, but you bitch on better init system for linux.
          dbus is essentially COM, which is through and through in windows. Why don't you bitch about COM in windows? You don't like drag and drop?
          pulseaudio is essentially coreaudio + individual volume controls in windows. Lennard even went this far, he implemented "flat volumes" just like in windows, but made a grave mistake by making it default. Again, why don't you bitch about it on windows and macosx, but bitch about having pro-audio system on linux?
          and network manager saves the horror of manually editing various text files in order to do plain stupid network connection - thing that existed since AGES on windows. On server - this is not a problem, but on desktop you EXPECT mouse config!!

You want linux to become major desktop player, but you bitch about every technology which is critical for it to become one.
          More than that, the technology is FREE and MODULAR.

Go bitch on windows or macosx!!

Lennard ftw!! You want to write something better - stop bitching and WRITE it.
          Last edited by crazycheese; 29 October 2012, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Metro

I use Windows 8 at work. If you're using Windows 7, you might as well continue using it.

Windows 8 have the new Metro UI (also later called Modern UI) which is designed for touch interfaces.
            It's probably alright for tablets and smartphones but it really is unsuitable for a desktop or a laptop.

I think the Metro interface in Windows 8 decreases usability and makes using the computer cumbersome, annoying and frustrating and kills productivity.
            Windows have no start button, no start menu, and now features a fullscreen start screen instead which makes the brain do a context switch and lose focus which messes up the work flow and reduces productivity.

If you're going to use Windows 8, then I can strongly recommend Classic Shell which is a free, open source software that gives you a start button and a start menu and makes Windows 8 feel and behave more like Windows 7. This makes Windows 8 more tolerable and less frustrating.

Comment

Windows 8 is bad, but reliable.

Windows 8 isn't bad in terms of reliability, simply because of all the 3rd party support. When I want something to work, generally Windows does it just fine. However, there are cases to which Windows just fails, and Ubuntu/Linux works better.

Smashing on Windows 8 isn't a real good idea, Linux isn't without flaws. Windows can fail from time to time while upgrading, but Ubuntu/Linux can as well...and from my experiences it's much more likely.

Truth is Linux has more short comings than Windows does.

The things that annoy me the most on Ubuntu

Oversensitive touchpad on laptops with fullscreen apps like Steelstorm, XBMC, or Super Maryo Chronicles.
              Games have issues switching resolution...ends up with top bar and unity showing.

On Windows I can set a any resolution I'd like and it'll display correctly "AUTOMATICALLY", with Ubuntu I tend to get overscan with anything other than 1360x768 (Never really used to be a problem when there was the overscan tool in Nvidia Settings, there is a xrandr command or something to fix it..which is just a downgrade imo.) On intel....there is no fix...

System index tends to break and sometimes sudo apt-get -f install doesn't address the issue...
              GTK-Window-decorator crashes commonly, usually after a fresh new release.

Software for screencasting or camera recording just sucks...(not ubuntu/linux's fault)

You need to add PPA's to actually update installed software....like Gimp, Blender, and various others....

and much more.

I'm a full time Ubuntu/Linux user and none of these issues are that big of a deal to me...they are there though, and it's not right to "mock" windows when Ubuntu/Linux has it's own set of issues. (Some problems don't occur to other distros, just Ubuntu/Compiz.)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I use Windows 8 at work. If you're using Windows 7, you might as well continue using it.

Windows 8 have the new Metro UI (also later called Modern UI) which is designed for touch interfaces.
                It's probably alright for tablets and smartphones but it really is unsuitable for a desktop or a laptop.

I think the Metro interface in Windows 8 decreases usability and makes using the computer cumbersome, annoying and frustrating and kills productivity.
                Windows have no start button, no start menu, and now features a fullscreen start screen instead which makes the brain do a context switch and lose focus which messes up the work flow and reduces productivity.

If you're going to use Windows 8, then I can strongly recommend Classic Shell which is a free, open source software that gives you a start button and a start menu and makes Windows 8 feel and behave more like Windows 7. This makes Windows 8 more tolerable and less frustrating.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
                I find that when people say 'There is no start menu' I recommend treating the 'Modern Start Screen' as a start menu. (It's helped a few of my friends) It does the exact same as the start menu (search type, etc...) it opens when 'Start' is pressed (Windows Key) or if you click where the start was, it opens the 'new start menu' Whether or not that is of use to anyone depends on how you use and want to use Windows 8 (Some people not at all :P )

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
                  Thanks, I just put it onto my work desktop here with Win7 and it looks very good.

Last edited by disi; 29 October 2012, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    Yes there are, I really wish people would stop repeating this myth.
                    When was the last time you have seen a AAA title released in linux? Prey, which was a couple years late to the party? The last AAA title that was released on linux in a timely manner IIRC was ET:QW back in 2007. I wouldn't say it was a myth.

Comment

I've being using Win8 Pro for a month now (done a clean install like I always do), and I was surprised by it. I was expecting that it would be a lot worse!
                      The Metro UI is not the most friendly UI of all time, but if we use the windows keyboard short-cuts (which I do) there is a lot of trouble that is minimized (like closing an app for example, or shutting down the pc).
                      But one thing that I like with the Metro UI is its responsiveness. Faster than Aero that's for sure. And for me that matters.
                      For the daily use, I use the windows 8 start screen almost the same way as I did with the windows start menu. Press windows key, start writing the program I wanted to open, press enter. And that works just fine with win8. Nice and quick.

I was surprised to see some features to work out of the box that I wasn't expecting, like a pdf reader, a disk image mount option (ISO for example), integration with some Google services like the calendar, etc.

Currently I'm using Windows more than Linux, because that's where my games are, and because graphic card switching in Linux just plain sucks. My laptop has a Intel + ATI mobile 5650 and I haven't really found a way to make them work in a similar way to windows (not even worried with performance just yet).

Lets hope that with the appearance of Steam on Linux that ATI or someone connected to mesa or so helps fixing this issue and I can switch permanently to the quick and simple XFCE, on my Arch Linux system...

Comment

Working...
                      X