Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are The Biggest Problems With Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You really need to get back to Russian Linux forums and speak Russian, as your English is so poor when you are trying to contradict me or argue with me, nothing good or meaningful comes out of it. ;-)

What's even funnier as a proof of your own veracity you link to your own posts which are superficial at best ("I say so thus I'm right" - no links, no testaments, no evidence, nada - with such an attitude you may want to defend Christianity or any other religion - it's exactly how religious devotees act). This is the last time I reply to your messages, you may keep doing what you do best - shout out loud and advertise me - I like it. :-)

Meanwhile I will try to address real concerns shared by people here.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
      What's even funnier as a proof of your own veracity you link to your own posts which are superficial at best
      What's even funnier as a proof of your own veracity you link to your own page (four times per thread) which are full of bullshit.

birdie as usually nothing to asnwer.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        Linux, like NT and Darwin, is a hybrid kernel. That's why you have the option to modularise a lot of Linux when you build it from source.
        Linux is a monolithic kernel and that's it!
        Guess why when you need a printer driver that the Kernel doesn't have support for you have to compile the entire kernel?

Comment

• Printer drivers are not in the kernel. Somehow my trust for this Bachelor of Science's abilities just dropped

Comment

• Originally posted by linux5850 View Post
            Linux is a monolithic kernel and every time they update it it can break many things. That's why micro-kernels are better and device drivers should be in user space not kernel space.
            Linux does support some types of userpace drivers with a stable API. If you are doing anything with and IRQ you need the privileged space to do it, but there are ways to put a lot of the driver functionality into user-space.

For instance the FUSE system, some of the HID and bluetooth are done in userspace. Also it's not uncommon for embedded systems to make use of the user-pace driver API, like broad-com with the graphics driver for the rasberry pi. .

Linux breaks internal API's and ABI's all of the time. In fact so do those other OS's. They keep thier drivers working by having a set of defined interfaces that they take great pains to maintain. The additional abraction makes the job of the kernel developers that much more complex. Instead of just being able to change the kernel, they have to change the kernel and then chage the shim, and so on.

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              It wasn't clear how should they be called:

http://www.systhread.net/texts/200510kdiff.php
              You're pretty much expressing the same thing, but in another different host ... I would expect some significant functionality of the kernel to be offloaded to userland and not the hybrid kernels reduced to only loadable-modules which is stated to alter the kernel image on the fly, but it doesn't change for example that practically all core drivers are still provided in ring 0 except for some cute piece of software (like FUSE, anyone using it for the entire FS? lol ).

But the fact is, that "Linux" (the OS, not the kernel) as it is is flexible enough to provide a edge-case scenario of a somewhat hybrid system ...

Comment

• Re

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Printer drivers are not in the kernel. Somehow my trust for this Bachelor of Science's abilities just dropped
                I mean, if the support is not available in CUPS. I have an old printer at home and I had to recompile the kernel with the printer drivers as a module.
                The same thing happened with my web camera, I had to recompile the kernel with the drivers downloaded from the site as a module...

And btw, I said that my Bachelor of Science is related to Printer drivers or something like that?
                I am sure even Linus Torvalds can get wrong in something he never was interested in studying and that's not a big deal.
                I am not a cyborg.

Comment

• Names are very important.
                  The open source world seems to have a lot of problems coming up with good names without unintended negative effects.

Gimp: gimping, google it or rather don't (has other more common meaning)
                  OpenRISC: seriously? if you design an instruction set even if it's a RISC instead of CISC you do not give it a name with the word RISC in it!!

Here something I discovered:
                  http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-0...l-science.html
                  Last edited by plonoma; 12 June 2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                    Linux does support some types of userpace drivers with a stable API. If you are doing anything with and IRQ you need the privileged space to do it, but there are ways to put a lot of the driver functionality into user-space.

For instance the FUSE system, some of the HID and bluetooth are done in userspace. Also it's not uncommon for embedded systems to make use of the user-pace driver API, like broad-com with the graphics driver for the rasberry pi. .

Linux breaks internal API's and ABI's all of the time. In fact so do those other OS's. They keep thier drivers working by having a set of defined interfaces that they take great pains to maintain. The additional abraction makes the job of the kernel developers that much more complex. Instead of just being able to change the kernel, they have to change the kernel and then chage the shim, and so on.
                    API's/ABI's are the set of defined interfaces!!
                    A good programming practice is to separate interfaces and internal workings of components.

Comment

• Also, too many papercut-type things like this:

Comment

Working...
                      X