HDMI Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI Audio

I?d like to know the current status of HDMI on Linux.
    For this, your card (or IGP) model number/manufacturer is needed + what driver you are using ++ the amount of channels you have.

Obviously for this test you need HDMI capable monitor + HDMI cable.

For example "core i3 hd3000, current opensource, 5 channels".

It seems that this information is very scarce. Is it true that only intel supports 5 channels within opensource drivers?

AFAIK current situation for proprietary drivers:
    fglrx - only stereo.
    nVidia - full-feature set, even TrueHD/DTS-HD MA bitstreaming.

Comment

Are you talking about the audio driver (separate driver, separate hardware block) or the graphics driver (which controls mixing the audio bitstream with the video stream) ?

In the case of fglrx I believe the graphics part is multichannel-capable but the audio driver is stereo-only.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Are you talking about the audio driver (separate driver, separate hardware block) or the graphics driver (which controls mixing the audio bitstream with the video stream) ?

In the case of fglrx I believe the graphics part is multichannel-capable but the audio driver is stereo-only.
        As far as I know (rumors, rumors) radeon opensource has only minimal HDMI support in 2.0.

When installing fglrx instead, can user access all audio channels via HDMI interface? Three examples:
        1 When I play multichannel film which I legally own, that was ripped for purpose of playback (because linux is prevented by hollywood to have those bits; I am not aware of any commercial solution) - yet I have the complete box on the shelf with disc with original - and I have fglrx, can I use HDMI to play all streams? (PS. This way seems to be legal in germany).

2 Im using my machine to make a party and I want to make area sound effects by having multiple boxes getting individual signals

3 When I am game and I would like surround gaming

Comment

Nothing to do with radeon or fglrx. We're talking about the audio driver here, not the graphics driver.

As Alex said, the register info we recently released should have all the bits required to blend multichannel audio into the HDMI video stream; the issue here is enabling multichannel in the audio driver.
          Test signature

Comment

So there is issue and all three cases are not possible? Or how can I understand this?
            Last edited by crazycheese; 08 April 2012, 03:34 AM.

Comment

He's saying they need someone with knowledge of both graphics cards and alsa, and they don't have any

Comment

Ok, this means more than 2 channel HDMI is not usable with amd hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  So there is issue and all three cases are not possible? Or how can I understand this?
                  Sorry, what are the three cases ?

What I'm saying is that there are two more or less completely unrelated hardware blocks. There's usually an audio controller in the chipset along with the audio controller in the GPU. The one in the chipset is connected only to regular jacks on the motherboard; the one in the GPU is connected only to the HDMI output block and GPU hardware combines the video and audio info into a single stream.

The issue AFAIK is that the audio driver either doesn't support or isn't enabling multichannel output. No graphics knowledge is required to work on the audio driver. You do need some GPU knowledge to work on the combiner block in the GPU - Alex has already said that the GPU info we released recently should be enough to enable *combining* multichannel audio with video on the HDMI output if the audio controller is *generating* a multichannel audio bitstream - but Rafel and others already have that knowledge.
                  Test signature

Comment

Sorry, what are the three cases ?

What I'm saying is that there are two more or less completely unrelated hardware blocks. There's usually an audio controller in the chipset along with the audio controller in the GPU. The one in the chipset is connected only to regular jacks on the motherboard; the one in the GPU is connected only to the HDMI output block and GPU hardware combines the video and audio info into a single stream.

The issue AFAIK is that the audio driver either doesn't support or isn't enabling multichannel output. No graphics knowledge is required to work on the audio driver. You do need some GPU knowledge to work on the combiner block in the GPU - Alex has already said that the GPU info we released recently should be enough to enable *combining* multichannel audio with video on the HDMI output if the audio controller is *generating* a multichannel audio bitstream - but Rafel and others already have that knowledge.
                    This is fair, but I am not a programmer, I hope you are not surprised. I can spare 10? for this feature if you setup "properly HDMI multichannel audio output" on kickstarter. I think its fair. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X