This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    started a topic Name The Next ATI Driver Contest (2007)

Name The Next ATI Driver Contest (2007)

From the other threads in the ATI/AMD Linux Forum, some of the unofficial names for the past driver releases has been:

8.38.6: The Least To Report On Driver In Two Years
    8.38.6: Still no R600 or AIGLX Support
    8.37.6: The no R600 or AIGLX Support Version
    8.36.5: The Still no fglrx AIGLX Support Edition

Anyone want to guess what the next driver (fglrx v8.39) version will be called? The Driver That Still Lacks AIGLX and R600 support? 8.39: The Birth of AIGLX Support?

This thread may prove to be more interesting than yesterday's driver release for Fedora 7 users

• Michael
    replied
    Direct new comments for this thread into this one: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6731

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well then they should add at least one distribution with Xserver 1.4.x to the supported list to get rid of the errors soon. When nobody tests xserver 1.4 then this will not happen...

Leave a comment:

• Christian_L
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    The idea is to offer a choice of drivers -- a simple, stable open source driver which can be easily tweaked to work on the newest x & kernel releases (and which can serve as a development vehicle for them), plus a more feature-rich, performance-optimized proprietary driver which will be tested and supported on specific distros.
    So we will have the choice between one driver that does not fully work, because it's missing the advanced stuff (likely because of unreleased specifications), and another one that does not fully work, because it does not support the latest distros/new kernels/xorg etc.? Sounds awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    maybe you do. it would be nice to say up front which distributions are going to have official support.
    SuSE and Red Hat are their "officially supported" distributions, all other support and testing comes via the community.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    maybe you do. it would be nice to say up front which distributions are going to have official support.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    does it mean you're planning to make new fglrx/catalyst driver on top of radeonhd codebase, when it matures? (not sure if the license allows that).
    The idea is to offer a choice of drivers -- a simple, stable open source driver which can be easily tweaked to work on the newest x & kernel releases (and which can serve as a development vehicle for them), plus a more feature-rich, performance-optimized proprietary driver which will be tested and supported on specific distros.

We probably need another Phoronix article to make the whole story clear.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    does it mean you're planning to make new fglrx/catalyst driver on top of radeonhd codebase, when it matures? (not sure if the license allows that).

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I'd rather see ati release a basic but _stable_ 2d-only driver, and slowly expand it, month by month. but keeping it stable (and compatible with new x.org/kernel) in the first place. but that's not the way proprietary development is done - customers are just less forgiving in this case :]
    Bingo... but we're doing *that* with the open source driver efforts. The opne source driver can be kept compatible with new x/kernel development, partly because it will be smaller and simpler, and partly because it will be open source so problems can be investigated quickly and easily.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    i'd rather have ati devs follow more opensource-like model in their development (ground-up like work). fglrx/catalyst is totally ridden with bugs.

i'd rather see ati release a basic but _stable_ 2d-only driver, and slowly expand it, month by month. but keeping it stable (and compatible with new x.org/kernel) in the first place. but that's not the way proprietary development is done - customers are just less forgiving in this case :]

i really don't believe we'll ever see a stable and relatively bug-free fglrx/catalyst-or-whatever-the-new-name-is driver the way the development is being done now. it just seems like there is way too much bugs to fix everywhere in the driver. that's why i gave up on the driver - i just can't see it getting stable. ever.

i'd rather use less functional but more stable opensource solution.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X