• Svartalf
    replied
    7.11 - The Nutshot Edition

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    7.11 - "who let the bugs out?!"

ati does not care about our opinion that much. after all we are merely their customers. ("pay for our product and we do not care what happens next" - that's my impression of their linux attitude so far).

if it weren't for opensource drivers i would scrap some cash for a different video card asap.
    Oh, they care, alright- they have to.

Linux is the OS of cluster computing. If they don't have working drivers, you can't use their GPUs for cluster compute boost. Moreover, making THIS crowd happy is important for that same business segment- we're the ones that reccomend the hardware of that nature and the hardware everyone else buys.

If we're not happy, then we don't reccomend their stuff in the future. If we don't reccomend, they will see lower or much lower sales.

Now, you say, why in the Hell are we seeing the treatment we're seeing?

Because AMD didn't know the extent of the mess ATI had made for itself and therefore for AMD- ATI butchered all but the DirectX group and the silicon design groups- either through layoffs or attrition with no replacement of the people leaving. AMD then followed this by a RIF globally because the acquisition of ATI and a few other things gave them financial indigestion and they had to appease the day traders so their stock price would stop dropping. This further reduced their manpower.

What you're seeing is the result of a prior upper management group betting on Vista followed up by an unknowing upper management not realizing that they've got some serious problems in one of their main business segments.

While I'm going to still poke fun at them over this debacle, I'm still willing to consider them as a viable possibility- they're seriously interacting with us at this time and they're seriously trying to fix the problems, even if the closed driver is still a big fat mess right at the moment.
    Last edited by Svartalf; 23 November 2007, 11:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• macmus
    replied
    Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    7.11 - "what a hangover.... whoa! is it time for a new release already?"
    ROFTL never ending party at linux devel office

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    7.11 - "who let the bugs out?!"

ati does not care about our opinion that much. after all we are merely their customers. ("pay for our product and we do not care what happens next" - that's my impression of their linux attitude so far).

if it weren't for opensource drivers i would scrap some cash for a different video card asap.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by klaus View Post
    Take a look at these pieces :

These are telling ATI how much Linux guys love them!
    In reality, we're trying to convey to them that they need to get their damn act together real quick. Trust me; if we didn't actually like the idea of an ATI part in our machines, we sure as hell wouldn't be giving them even this much.

Leave a comment:

• Christian_L
    replied
    7.11 - "Cause 8.35 still does it better (and because it will stay like this until Jan. 2009)"

Leave a comment:

• klaus
    replied
    Take a look at these pieces :

fglrx is evil. but still funny
    New name - same crap!
    "All your fps are belong to us" edition
    These are telling ATI how much Linux guys love them!

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    7.11 - "most.pointless.driver.ever.released"

7.11 - "what a hangover.... whoa! is it time for a new release already?"
    Last edited by yoshi314; 22 November 2007, 06:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Malikith
    replied
    7.11: Beer Bong in the Office Edition

7.12: Crouching Ruby Hidden Driver

Leave a comment:

Working...
X