The Phoronix Guide To Oktoberfest 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    check out the cannstatter wasen its the second largest in Germany.. and near by my place.
    I've been wanting to go to Cannstatter Volksfest for like two years, but never remember / always get distracted by Munich.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      the Cannstatter Wasen is really differend complete different beer and food

a Kn?del on Wasen:

Looks like Semmelkn?del? So you just have that there instead of Kartoffelkn?del? I like the potatoes better, but when I am cooking kn?del I tend to make Semmelkn?del since they tend to turn out better than when I am making Kartoffelkn?del from scratch.

Looks like some new beers to try!
      Michael Larabel

Comment

Oh god, these photos of food. *rawwrrr*
        Since I don't drink beer (yes, I am a bad German) I never attended to any beer exhibitions, Bierfest or anything the like. Though I am tempted to sneak in and serve Michael some Saxonian (.de) and Bohemian (.cz) beer.
        But you can really get me with a good Bratwurst, Obatzda (yum! Also common in the Bohemian/Czech region afaik) and similar things. I like Berliner-material Brezel (neutral or sweet type, softer material) more than the Laugenbrezel (neutral to salty, material is relatively firm inside and crunchy on the outside) and I also love the hungarian frybread Langos (goes with about everything on it). Kn?del/Kl??e are also most welcome, especially when you have them from lunch, slice them and fry them in the evening.
        omg. Now I am hungry. Really hungry.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

There are Semmelkn?del in Bavaria too, depends on the meal and the place what you get - Sp?tzl arent that uncommon either.

edit: and yes, schwaben does not really belong to bayern ;P

Comment

@michael You should totally put a 10/10 Phoronix Approved sticker on this event! XD

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
              @michael You should totally put a 10/10 Phoronix Approved sticker on this event! XD
              That's not appropriate for a guide... Maybe after the event is over, I can see how it is this year in terms of the food, beer, music, and women, and then see if it's warranting of a Phoronix Editor's Choice Award
              Michael Larabel

Comment

ever heard of Berliner Biermeile?

Comment

The last (and first) time I tried making pretzels at home some looked like the upper picture, some looked like the lower picture, and some didn't look like pretzels at all. I gave the really bad ones to the dogs before anyone else saw them.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 17 July 2011, 11:18 AM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    The last (and first) time I tried making pretzels at home some looked like the upper picture, some looked like the lower picture, and some didn't look like pretzels at all. I gave the really bad ones to the dogs before anyone else saw them.
                    i just notified PETA for cruelty towards animals

(j/k)

on a serious note baking IS extremely tricky and hardly anyone reveals all the secrets in a recipe making it even more difficult

Comment

It's not only in pretzels (i have read that Lye was the key in success but never tried making any, i ll keep your recipe )

Its a general observation for pastry stuff and baking and also in many cases professional bakers use ingredients that are not easily available for the home cook.

Apart from the ingredients there are things like environment temperature humidity etc that affect doughs. Also you have to be very precise in everything you do ie resting and proofing times oven temperatures and preparation (ie steaming) and many other things that the average cookbook doesn't describe properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X