No announcement yet.

Linux and Mac are screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i never tested mac or hackintosh , major bug of linux is they always reinvent the wheel : like the ati/nv card drivers or hard-drive filesystem .
    that is around 15 years i test it to check if it is useable , latest release are , may be my last . i wonder google and intel will build some new and clever os . something linux does not seem to be able to create : a working gui with drivers and easy to-go

Comment

Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
      [...] major bug of linux is they always reinvent the wheel : like the ati/nv card drivers or hard-drive filesystem .
      The graphics driver is easy. Galium is a switch to shader drivers instead of pipeline. Microsoft did the same thing with DirectX 10 and thus the driver architecture for graphics since Vista was turned inside out. New drivers needed to be made and they were shitty, hence the Vista crashes. Today that's fixed, Windows 7 is exactly like Vista, but people don't know it.

Apple is stuck with pipeline crap. They are stuck at OpenGL 2.1. Still no upgrade with Mac OS X 1.7.

As for the file systems... Windows went from FAT to NTFS. Apple also upgraded but I don't know why. Linux is currently in need of a good SSD solution so hence the mess over there. Yet every filesystem in Linux has it's particular advantage.

i wonder google and intel will build some new and clever os . something linux does not seem to be able to create : a working gui with drivers and easy to-go
      Linux is more or less a pile of Lego. What you probably are after is the distributions. Well... There is no good tablet edition UI for Linux, I'll gibve you that. What would also help is more people being funded to work onthe graphics acceleration arena. It's comming though. The question is when the FLOSS drivers are at an allround polish level... r300 realy is too old...

Comment

i never tested mac or hackintosh , major bug of linux is they always reinvent the wheel : like the ati/nv card drivers or hard-drive filesystem .
        that is around 15 years i test it to check if it is useable , latest release are , may be my last . i wonder google and intel will build some new and clever os . something linux does not seem to be able to create : a working gui with drivers and easy to-go
        What bullshit are you trying to say? There won't be any clever OS than Linux soon (or ever). Are you claiming there's no working gui with the drivers and easy to-go?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          The point is the extreme simplicity of the interface.
          The point is that simple interfaces generally only work for simple tasks.

And gesture-based interfaces are never simple because you have no idea what gestures do what unless you've already seen someone use them; at least with a standard GUI you can play around in the menus and try random things until you find the option you're looking for. It's even worse than replacing menus with 'simple' meaningless icons that then need tool tips so you can see what the hell that weird splodge that looks like a gopher that just got run over is supposed to do.

Comment

The graphics driver is easy. Galium is a switch to shader drivers instead of pipeline. Microsoft did the same thing with DirectX 10 and thus the driver architecture for graphics since Vista was turned inside out. New drivers needed to be made and they were shitty, hence the Vista crashes. Today that's fixed, Windows 7 is exactly like Vista, but people don't know it.

Apple is stuck with pipeline crap. They are stuck at OpenGL 2.1. Still no upgrade with Mac OS X 1.7.
            Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            What bullshit are you trying to say? There won't be any clever OS than Linux soon (or ever). Are you claiming there's no working gui with the drivers and easy to-go?
            i saw that "aero" update with f15 or ubuntu11 , most of the time gnome3 failed to load despite i have a hd5k
            my opinion about these aero thingies is not that good , shaders are made for 3d games and some mplayers use them very well with movies rendering . by the way ati and nv do make drivers that have patents inside . they are very good so i do not see why putting a lot of energy to create a "free one" . i recognize free drivers have good points but others cards for sound or tv or else have NO-DRIVERS at all .

@kraftman may be you think some clever people create some good softwares for linux and i agree , but linux is very boring with all its "roots rules" that are not needed by most users and impeach them of doing changes example : adding a firmware in the lib folder ...

As for the file systems... Windows went from FAT to NTFS. Apple also upgraded but I don't know why. Linux is currently in need of a good SSD solution so hence the mess over there. Yet every filesystem in Linux has it's particular advantage.

Linux is more or less a pile of Lego. What you probably are after is the distributions. Well... There is no good tablet edition UI for Linux, I'll give you that. What would also help is more people being funded to work on the graphics acceleration arena. It's coming though. The question is when the FLOSS drivers are at an allround polish level... r300 realy is too old...

yes , it s a lego because it compiles a lot of free software but even here they start to have fun benching filesystems -> example at first page : Linux 2.6.39: XFS Speeds-Up, EXT4 & Btrfs Unchanged

Comment

the current problem with your hd 5xxx is not free driver or using the "game only shaders (lol here)(use wikipedia plz)" but the fact that gnome 3 use some feature not yet stable on many drivers (remember gnome 3 is only few weeks out of the oven), this same thing heppen in KDE 4.0 when they push too far some accel functions in X11 that no driver had good support(including nvidia binary driver) and after some time it was fixed in all drivers.

Note: the same happened with vista (first 6 month drivers after release were a nightmare).

maybe fedora made a mistake including gnome 3 too early, so for now upgrade your graphic stack to a more actual 7.11 code

Comment

@kraftman may be you think some clever people create some good softwares for linux and i agree , but linux is very boring with all its "roots rules" that are not needed by most users and impeach them of doing changes example : adding a firmware in the lib folder ...
                this is the lolest comment on phoronix since a long time, you know one of the most nicer features of Linux vs windows or in less case Mac is the strong level of security that the OS provide including the ability to stop the security bug in front of the monitor (yes you, i know it sound harsh but is the truth) to do something stupid that could affect the integrity of the OS, Like installing a firmware that you may have googled from who knows where and made from some unknown random dude that says that is a driver with root privileges in your kernel.

i agree in 1 thing with you, the average joe shouldn't have under any circunstamce root access to anything and this should be handled only from certain applications using your package manager and some sandbox magic. with a nice GUI ofc so average joe won't complain about "rooty thingies" and it become just a nice gui asking a password to install stuff

Comment

i saw that "aero" update with f15 or ubuntu11 , most of the time gnome3 failed to load despite i have a hd5k
                  my opinion about these aero thingies is not that good , shaders are made for 3d games and some mplayers use them very well with movies rendering.
                  Gnome 3 is not Aero at all. Not from a GUI and not from a technological perspective. WTF.

Shaders were initialy made for games, but they have grown to be general purpose tiny execution units that, in large numbers, provide an insane amount of combined FLOPS in parallel. nVidia has CUDA and headless cards that are specifically made to do calculations and processing.

by the way ati and nv do make drivers that have patents inside . they are very good so i do not see why putting a lot of energy to create a "free one" . i recognize free drivers have good points but others cards for sound or tv or else have NO-DRIVERS at all .
                  Well you should have done your homework first. Do you also randomly by an Intel CPU, wanting to put it on an ARM board and connect it to an Apple webcam? Seriously...

Root rules? Show me an OS that doesn't have root rules. Even Windows has file/folder protection by default nowadays (yes, they finaly start getting it half).

If you think computers are boring then don't try to hack on one? What the hell....

yes , it s a lego because it compiles a lot of free software but even here they start to have fun benching filesystems -> example at first page : Linux 2.6.39: XFS Speeds-Up, EXT4 & Btrfs Unchanged
                  Errr... Not sure what point you're trying to make here... You seem to lack a lot of knowledge and probably mean something that no-one with even at least the slightest clue will understand. And you probably also got it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Gnome is far away from being big and with gnome shell it will be smaller and smaller.
                    you do realize Apple is a bigger player than Gnome right????? gnome is just one DE for linux. iOS in it's first year of existence has more users than Linux does.... Obviously MacOSX has more users too. (somewhere around 10X the userbase).

Gnome are only a big player, if you omit ALL other platforms.lol..you have to remember linux only holds 1-2% of the market, making gnome a very small player in the grand scheme of things, and also gnome is no longer the default DE for the most popular linux distribution <ubuntu>...

it is silly to think that gnome are big players - they aren't even close to being that.

cheerz

Comment

Spectacular? Not really.

Nice, yes for those who only surf, chat and check their mail I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X