Linux and Mac are screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    PS: In fact, this is probably the first moronproof interface. This is not what I expected from MS at all... In fact I think this interface is brilliant.
    It is about as "brilliant" as MS Bob wrapped around a duplo building bock gui. It's a kiosk UI and they have been around for decades.

Comment

Vincent there is no such thing in this world, nothing is moronproof or idiotproof cuz they are always improving their idiocy, aka everyday they are more idiot than the previous

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        Vincent there is no such thing in this world, nothing is moronproof or idiotproof cuz they are always improving their idiocy, aka everyday they are more idiot than the previous
        Imagine a couple of non-electronic utilities, objects, whatever. Everybody understands them. But as soon as it comes to electronics, nobody does. Stripping things down like Gnome isn't going to work, because it still requires a lot of time to learn how the file system is categorized, the user is exposed to adjustments like changing the square display grid to a popper grid (resolution) and a lot more of that bullshit. Why do people actually even get to see an freaking IRQ table at bootup? (BIOS) How is that useful to John the police officer, or Jane the clothing store owner?

But what do people actually want to do with a computer? Writing a text document? So why isn't it as simple as:
        -Turning it on;
        -Navigating computer functions by means of navigation your desk: with you eyes or sliding with a finger;
        -Grabbing it (tap on it "I want to do... this!" *tap* ... and bam!");
        -Turning it off with a button.

It's basically like:
        -Click the ballpoint pen;
        -Start writing where you want to write;
        -Document written.

So yeah we know how to do all that shit, and yes most people may be stupid, but that's the most stupid way to make a computer work. Really, think about it for a second.

And no Apple and Gnome do suck when it comes to actual real usability.

I couldn't imagine a more true to life interface than Windows 8. I realy can't, sorry. I think it's dead brilliant. And I don't care if it's a kiosk interface that has been around for ages if this makes computers actually useful for people so that they stop coming to me with "How do I do this stupid simple thing?".

PS: I'm extremely convinced that Microsoft is going to be very, very, very succesful with this. They might even steal back some iCrapple converts. I'm also worried about Linux. This is going to take back marketshare.
        Last edited by V!NCENT; 05 June 2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Imagine a couple of non-electronic utilities, objects, whatever. Everybody understands them. But as soon as it comes to electronics, nobody does. Stripping things down like Gnome isn't going to work, because it still requires a lot of time to learn how the file system is categorized, the user is exposed to adjustments like changing the square display grid to a popper grid (resolution) and a lot more of that bullshit. Why do people actually even get to see an freaking IRQ table at bootup? (BIOS) How is that useful to John the police officer, or Jane the clothing store owner?

But what do people actually want to do with a computer? Writing a text document? So why isn't it as simple as:
          -Turning it on;
          -Navigating computer functions by means of navigation your desk: with you eyes or sliding with a finger;
          -Grabbing it (tap on it "I want to do... this!" *tap* ... and bam!");
          -Turning it off with a button.

It's basically like:
          -Click the ballpoint pen;
          -Start writing where you want to write;
          -Document written.

So yeah we know how to do all that shit, and yes most people may be stupid, but that's the most stupid way to make a computer work. Really, think about it for a second.

And no Apple and Gnome do suck when it comes to actual real usability.

I couldn't imagine a more true to life interface than Windows 8. I realy can't, sorry. I think it's dead brilliant. And I don't care if it's a kiosk interface that has been around for ages if this makes computers actually useful for people so that they stop coming to me with "How do I do this stupid simple thing?".

PS: I'm extremely convinced that Microsoft is going to be very, very, very succesful with this. They might even steal back some iCrapple converts. I'm also worried about Linux. This is going to take back marketshare.

However in real life even the elderly have become accustomed to a standard desktop interface. All this has done is basically locked a end user into a set non-forgiving way of doing things. It will not, as you put it, prevent people from asking "How do I do this stupid simple thing?". If anything it is going to increase that question being asked as what people were used doing are now limited as to what they can do. We have all seen attempts at a dumbed down UI done many times before (remember the first EEE PC UI's, MS BOB, Splashtop, etc) there comes a point where it becomes it becomes too dumbed down for what a person wants to do on a computer. Kiosks UI's are fine for portable, set-top devices where a limited functionality is expected but a computers UI is expected to be able to do much more.
          Last edited by deanjo; 05 June 2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

yeah, touch screens are sooo awesome. All those smudges and dirt... looks reaaaaallly cool and is sooo helpfull...

Comment

To my mind Linux users seem far to focused on the overall GUI in the battle to win over users. KDE, gnome 2, and even gnome 3 (although needing a little polish) are great.

The issues people who come to linux are going to face is likely more to do with installing software, finding linux software that does the required job and quite possibly dealing with driver issues.

Distros like linux mint and even chakra (which i think is still only in rc1) have a huge advantage over many distros for new users as they tend to have all the drivers installed out of the box.

Even accent old KDE 3.5 was better than anything Microsoft has ever managed to produced GUI wise.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                However in real life even the elderly have become accustomed to a standard desktop interface.
                Accustomed, maybe. Able to do anything when the blue E is now two places to the right? Not at all...

It will not, as you put it, prevent people from asking "How do I do this stupid simple thing?".
                Like with anything, you might have to tell them how it works, but not totally re-educate the freaking alphabet every time they want to do something else with the same tool. Just once you just take 5 minutes of your time and you can leave them alone. Gnome was a giant leap over the Windows < 8 interface, but it was still a pain in the ass.

We have all seen attempts at a dumbed down UI done many times before (remember the first EEE PC UI's, MS BOB, Splashtop, etc) there comes a point where it becomes it becomes too dumbed down for what a person wants to do on a computer.
                I have the first EEE PC model with that 11 inch screen. It was a great leap forward. I remember myself saying that it was the first well designed computer, ever. The problem, however, was that it was not capable of converting MS Office documents, Firefox frequently crashed and it was an isolated piece of software.

Kiosks UI's are fine for portable, set-top devices where a limited functionality is expected but a computers UI is expected to be able to do much more.
                Much more? Seriously... do what more? More than E17 and KDE?, because Gnome or Windows > 8 doesn't offer anything useful over that Kiosk interface.

Comment

It seems all the "big players" are going for the mobilesque interface.. by big players, I mean GNOME and Microsoft..

It's said that Win8 will be able to run on ARM chips. Maybe Microsoft is trying to create a unified windows OS that runs on mobile devices as well as the typical desktop? But will they be able to beat Debian at being the "Universal OS?"

Comment

Steve Ballmer has already showed it running on Tegra and Texas Instrument chips. Office has been recompiled for ARM. Intel has spread FUD about nothing working due to x86 programs.

Comment

This is the most easy to understand interface on the planet. And for tablets this interface is a big win.
                      Ok, so can you explain that part when he has a full screen video going on and then flicks his finger and a RSS reader pops up from the side? What the hell is that? Flicking switches between open apps ? la Alt+Tab? I didn't understand that part. Apart from that it has potential, but if everybody went crazy when Ubuntu switched to Unity and with the direction Gnome 3 went I can't imagine how most users are going to react to this. Especially after all the rage when Vista came out, and that wasn't all that different from the classic Windows experience.
                      It also doesn't strike me as all that innovative. It's nothing we haven't seen in tablets/smartphones in some form. It is bold, but not innovative.

Comment

Working...
                      X