Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenSuse-Tumbleweed

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Actually it is thriving quite well and has had a good inrush of new adopters lately.

But hey, it is far more dramatic to make a Henny Penny comment isn't it?

(we have heard this all before when Novell purchased SuSE, the same "the sky is falling" comments were made then)
    I've been running openSuse with Tumbleweed and been quite happy. Now running the 2.6.38.4 kernel with KDE 4.6.2. Aside from a couple freezes everything's working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by LenS View Post
      I've been running openSuse with Tumbleweed and been quite happy. Now running the 2.6.38.4 kernel with KDE 4.6.2. Aside from a couple freezes everything's working fine.
      Been a long long long time member of SuSE/openSUSE as well, that's why I find all these "the world is ending" type comments amusing having seen them again and again over the years.

Comment

Technically, Nokia could still do a 180 the second the contract ends (3 years?), and this acceptance-of-the-bribe would just have been a decoy while getting a full lineup of meego phones developed and ready.

Ah, who am I kidding.

Comment

Not to kick openSuSE lovers in the jewels, but what makes openSuSE so much different/better than Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora?

SuSE was my first distro, but that's the only reason I've ever used it.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Not to kick openSuSE lovers in the jewels, but what makes openSuSE so much different/better than Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora?

Well, during the radeonhd timeframe (oktober 2008?), i was told that some bug we were seeing, which ATI wasn't, was opensuse specific, and ATI wasn't very helpful on providing details or even on installing a single opensuse quickly. So after a lot of back and forth I went and installed several versions of the three named other distributions on the same test machine.

They all compared rather badly to an opensuse when just wanting to go from an install CD to a working system, with a bit of partitioning in between. With Debian (my personal favourite, even over suse), i got the bare console that i wanted, lots of apt-getting needed to be able to build radeonhd. With ubuntu, i felt treated like some grandmother, and didn't get the same out of the box usability of standard opensuse, but also lacked the configurability of a bare-metal debian. With fedora, another distribution supposedly aimed at the desktop, i felt all very 1999, without grandmothering, but also without the immediate usability.

The bug turned out to be a pci-express thing of course, but it did show me that maybe opensuse wasn't all that bad compared to the others.

Comment

Biggest reason by far is YaST. Quite simply it has a feature set that I have yet to see matched in any other distro. It also has by far the best refined implementation of KDE as well. With recent versions as well zypper meets or exceeds other package managers in pretty much every aspect including speed. There are also other nice little refinements such as not having to screw around with a bunch of command line just to get items like dmraid up and running (it is supported right from boot). There are bunch of other features but these are just a few items that make it stand out.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Biggest reason by far is YaST. Quite simply it has a feature set that I have yet to see matched in any other distro. It also has by far the best refined implementation of KDE as well.
                This.

About zypper it's definitely good, however I think apt-get sports a tad more features.

All in all, I'd still recommend (a mono-free) Ubuntu to brand new Linux users, however if you want a stable, clean OS with a set of powerful tools, definitely check openSUSE out.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                  This.

About zypper it's definitely good, however I think apt-get sports a tad more features.
                  What feature does apt-get have that zypper doesn't presently have?

Comment

OpenSUSE doesn't fork something just because they don't like someone upstream.

ref: glibc and cdrtools.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                      OpenSUSE doesn't fork something just because they don't like someone upstream.

ref: glibc and cdrtools.
                      Actually openSUSE uses wodim by default, it does however still have cdrtools on the repo and allows the user to decide.

Comment

Working...
                      X