Win A Free Pass To Ubuntu Live Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win A Free Pass To Ubuntu Live Conference

Coming up next month in Portland, Oregon at the Oregon Convention Center is O'Reilly's OSCON 2007 as well as the first-ever Ubuntu Live Conference. Phoronix is a media partner for this event that consist of two days of conferences and a third day of tutorials. While there is a discount code that will save you 35% (the discount code is ubu07ucm), and there are a variety of other discounts such as if you are a student or educational staff/instructor, I have come across a number of blogs for open-source developers (including those involved with Ubuntu) that still believe the conference is a bit too expensive for them; here are two examples (granted it is cheaper than some other conferences, such as JavaOne).

O'Reilly has provided an extra conference pass to Ubuntu Live and we would like to give it away to a deserving open-source individual.

If you have not yet picked up an Ubuntu Live pass, live in the Portland area or would be able to travel to the Oregon for this event, and contribute to the open-source community, post a message with your open-source contributions in this thread and then you will be entered to win a free conference pass to Ubuntu Live. You don't need to be an open-source developer to enter, but if you contribute by other means such as writing documentations for a project, donate to an OSS project, blog about open-source software, or are involved through other ways, you can certainly enter. In your message please post a link to your open-source contributions or describe what you have done for the community, and you will be entered. This contest will run until noon EST on Friday, June 15. The winner will be selected randomly from all entries, and will then be contacted through through e-mail (with the e-mail address you entered when registering for the Phoronix Forums) and you will have 24 hours to respond with the necessary information (O'Reilly will need your basic contact information in order to create your pass). If you do not respond within 24 hours, a new winner will be randomly pulled.

Please only enter this contest if you know you will be able to use this pass for Ubuntu Live 2007.

More information on Ubuntu Live is available @ http://www.ubuntulive.com/

Rules subject to change without notice.
    Last edited by Michael; 06 June 2007, 02:37 PM.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

I am a long-term advocate of Linux, trying to forge forward the use of the language since the 0.9x versions of the kernel. As advocate, I've been trying to further the acceptance of the OS and the FOSS toolbase as a game development and deployment target since that time.

Open Source code achievements:

Maintainer of the Inari Passport parallel port powerline NIC Linux drivers.
    Utah-GLX developer. I maintained the RagePRO, Matrox G400 support.
    Initial research work for the DRI implementation of the RagePRO driver.
    Developer of one of the several different versions of the Linux drivers of the Industrial I/O for the Versalogic VSBC 6 single-board EBX size computer.
    Technical lead on one of the very first commercially successful embedded device deploys of Linux- the embedded lane controller for the TransCore Passkey system.

Right now, I'm about to help LGP further the cross-platform support of Grapple, an LGPL licensed library to simplify networked game development.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised nobody is posting here. Seems like Svartalf is the runaway winner.

As for me, I have no credentials of such, so there's no real chance to win. And flying to America is really going to put a serious dent on the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        I'm a bit surprised nobody is posting here. Seems like Svartalf is the runaway winner.

As for me, I have no credentials of such, so there's no real chance to win. And flying to America is really going to put a serious dent on the budget.
        Well with early registration ending in less than two weeks, I would imagine most who are planning on going already got their pass (they had extended their early registration). Granted this contest has been going for less than 24 hours and there is still 8 days left.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post

I am in the same boat. I only just started my new life with Linux last month with the installation of Ubuntu, I certianly don't have the credentials. I also only just started a blog last week (I'm a late bloomer) so don't have a dedicated reader base to "draw" upon.

I am, however, a Portland area resident. I was planning on heading down there to go to the vendor area just to check things out.

Comment

Originally posted by psyopper View Post
            I am in the same boat. I only just started my new life with Linux last month with the installation of Ubuntu, I certianly don't have the credentials. I also only just started a blog last week (I'm a late bloomer) so don't have a dedicated reader base to "draw" upon.

I am, however, a Portland area resident. I was planning on heading down there to go to the vendor area just to check things out.
            Welcome to the forums.

Hey, a blog is a blog (the rules do not state you need to get a few million hits a week or to be a kernel hacker). If you post a link to your new blog you'll be entered in the contest for the pass.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

OK then, here's the link to my blog...

I just started a review of GimpShop, the first legit Linux post on it... (err, my blog that is!)

Wish me luck!

Comment

From reading the description of this contest it is a random give-away to those who can show some activity in the broader Linux or open source community, and I see it as a way to give back to the Phoronix community in some way on the part of the Phoronix administrator(s). So if you would like to go to this conference and participate then enter in the contest... I wouldn't worry so much about whether or not you have "enough" community involvement. I'm sure none of us does as much as they would like to do.

I'm not entering in this contest because I have already registered for the conference, but if I hadn't then I would definitely have entered. My rather small amount of activity in the open source community (like many others I'm sure) is limited mainly by both legal commitments to my job and time, but I get others involved with open source and help people with their problems when I can. This is done through talking with friends and co-workers (i.e. converting them ), and also through posts on sites like this one which help solve problems to people's Linux-related problems. I also help close Ubuntu bugs at Launchpad that are related to configuration issues (rather than code changes), and I participate in the LPI certification process (three of the four exams for LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 completed). That's basically it for now, but I'm sure that some day it will change if things keep going as they are. Although it is up to Michael of course, I would have considered that enough to enter in this contest.

Thanks goes out to the Phoronix team for putting this contest together... it can't be all that inexpensive to give away a pass like this, even if they were able to pull some strings.
                Last edited by joshuapurcell; 11 June 2007, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Well, when I originally posted, I was able to go, and intended on doing so- now that's quite up in the air. The contract gig I'd had in hand imploded on me before work actually even started...I've got a lot more concerns than trying to save on an $800 pass right at the moment.

Comment

psyopper, check your private messages.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X