How to help / support Linux ? - your idea's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    How about you purchasing hardware and manufacturer simply refusing or puting you on the long todo list, like in case of amd?
    I think the thing is dead simple - buy only working linux hardware - hardware from manufacturer that does not hestate to speak to linux user or invest their money in their development.
    Eh... What?

Comment

Originally posted by acolomb View Post
      That scheme relies on the influence of the masses. Unfortunately, the group of linux users is just a fraction of the potential hardware buyers, which was the problem in the first place. From my experience, the desired market pressure is purely wishful thinking. No change in hardware vendors' strategy based on it.
      I feel that hardware manufacturers should be the ones taking initiative here..

Linux (with OSS drivers) is (still) an untapped market. Whoever can get good OSS drivers out the door first would be the first to dominate that market... And dominating the market, no matter how small it is, is always a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by renkin View Post
        And dominating the market, no matter how small it is, is always a plus...
        ... for the company doing the domination, not the user. OSS radeon drivers are pretty good, and generally so are intel's (except for poor performance in some chipsets), so there are already some companies "dominating" the open-source driver space. Besides this little aspect, I agree that it should be the hardware manufacturer doing what it takes to stimulate the market.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
          Eh... What?
          Beats me...he talks about buying only hardware from companies that support and invest in linux, but then implies that AMD doesn't do this? Did I got that right? AMD really? Shouldn't that be VIA instead? A little mix up of acronyms maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            ... for the company doing the domination, not the user. OSS radeon drivers are pretty good, and generally so are intel's (except for poor performance in some chipsets), so there are already some companies "dominating" the open-source driver space. Besides this little aspect, I agree that it should be the hardware manufacturer doing what it takes to stimulate the market.
            Oh.. yeah that's what I meant. A plus for the company. Just listing some incentives for them.

Comment

Working...
            X