Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adobe To Use TransGaming's SwiftShader; Remember Cedega?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
    @Michael

So, TransGaming's SwiftShader have a downloadable Demo, I wonder if we could see a speed comparison between that and real 3D hardware and, maybe, LLVMpipe, if posible at all.

I didn't follow the download link, so I don't know if there's a Linux version already.
    No, they are just DX9 DLLs.

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    @Michael

So, TransGaming's SwiftShader have a downloadable Demo, I wonder if we could see a speed comparison between that and real 3D hardware and, maybe, LLVMpipe, if posible at all.

I didn't follow the download link, so I don't know if there's a Linux version already.

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    Originally posted by Kazade View Post
    You know, I wish you'd stop shoving in that D3D State Tracker into every possible article. Unless Wine adopts it (unlikely in the near future) it's really not worth talking about.

You even mentioned it in the ReactOS release article where it has barely any relevance, as ReactOS aren't planning on implementing Gallium3D for a long time, if at all.
    You are wrong. Wine is irrelevant. The Direct3D state tracker applys to that article almost as much as LLVMpipe itself. It would be useful for open-source implementations of Flash to offer a Direct3D API in case Adobe chooses to directly expose that. (although it's not likely to happen)

And I hope that alien 3D API never leaves the blue-print state on Linux too. It would be just like the Flash problem, but on a very core API level.

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    where are the open source equivalent SVG animation formats? Do any exist at all? Several formats support animations, and several support SVG, but I have yet to find one that supports both and thus could be a true open Flash replacement.
    It's done on mozilla with SMIL, which is a W3C standard:
    Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language (SMIL) is an extension of SVG allowing to animating SVG elements. SMIL allows you to:

It's ready to go in Firefox4 Beta.
    Using Javascript to animate SVG works already.

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Flash sucks and I wish it would simply die.
    ...I wouldn't miss Adobe either.
    Amen. Amen.

Leave a comment:

• xir_
    replied
    Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    Amen. If someone would buy Photoshop from them I wouldn't miss Adobe either.
    Maybe Oracle is up for another acquisition.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    Please! Sometimes I have the feeling you desperatly try to link as many phoronix articles as possible in, no matter how relevant they are or not.
    I half wonder if it's his form of SEO.

Leave a comment:

• MaestroMaus
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Amen. If someone would buy Photoshop from them I wouldn't miss Adobe either.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Linuxhippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Kazade View Post
    You know, I wish you'd stop shoving in that D3D State Tracker into every possible article. Unless Wine adopts it (unlikely in the near future) it's really not worth talking about.
    Please! Sometimes I have the feeling you desperatly try to link as many phoronix articles as possible in, no matter how relevant they are or not.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Adobe really needs to rethink their operating model....
    What do they gain by having users use their plugin vs an open source implementation of that plugin? The answer is NOTHING. In fact, it HURTS them since it means that those unable or unwilling to use their blob plugin simply won't have access to content made under their format.

Now if, on the other hand, adobe were to drop their blob (or open source it 100%) and focus EXCLUSIVELY on developing the plugin as OPEN SOURCE, then you give off a warm and fuzzy feeling while potentially being able to REDUCE THE DEVELOPER WORKLOAD AND EXPENSE by gaining community assistance for a piece of software, which by itself, doesn't gain you any revenue to begin with!

Their revenue comes 100% from selling their content CREATION software. Not the CONSUMPTION software, so make life easier on yourself and get some community help!

Leave a comment:

• Kazade
    replied
    I think the moment that Gnash/Lightspark reach *near* feature parity with Adobe's Flash then browsers like Chrome and Firefox will implement it as a built-in plugin. When/if that happens Adobe could quickly find themselves no-longer in control of their own standard. That would be interesting to watch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X